Hall of Famer
30k Posts 10k Posts
Mar 9, 2001
Away from redneck country
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bombers
For those who aren't old enough to remember it, made aussie singer Robin Jolley a one hit wonder in 1972. It also has the dubious distintion of being in the top 10 worst australian songs, as voted in 2005.

It was written by two great aussie musicians, Don Mudie & Brian Cadd. Well it seems some people like this song & in fact, it is going to be used as a mobile ring tone in ............ wait for it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Chekoslavakia, aahhh those crazy Cheks. :D

Buggered if I know how in hell they heard of the song though. :confused:

I'm old enough to remember that song Mantis.Not Brian Cadd or Don Mudie's finest moment. You are right, how the hell did the Czechs ever latch onto that one. And more to the point...why?

Leaping Lindner said:
I'm old enough to remember that song Mantis.Not Brian Cadd or Don Mudie's finest moment. You are right, how the hell did the Czechs ever latch onto that one. And more to the point...why?

Don't know, but the boys are laughing all the way to the bank. ;)

In grade two I got into the biggest fight with Robyn Marshall about this song.

Robyn if you are reading this I still dont believe the song is about you.

mantis said:
For those who aren't old enough to remember it, made aussie singer Robin Jolley a one hit wonder in 1972.
Is truly the best, that I've ever seen. I have it on an album along with Bootleg doing the Loggins/Messina hit along with

aaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAA
xxxxxxxxXXXXXXXXiiiiiiIIIIIooooooOOOOOmmmmmmMMMMM...........she had to have a name just the same as her mum, but a name just the same.I love when Cadd comes into singing the "a little ray of sunshine" part, I've always thought he was holding his nose by the sound of it, but props to Shorrock.Probably our best ever rock singer, (even if he is from England). :)

mark73 said:
Is truly the best, that I've ever seen. I have it on an album along with Bootleg doing the Loggins/Messina hit along with

aaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAA
xxxxxxxxXXXXXXXXiiiiiiIIIIIooooooOOOOOmmmmmmMMMMM...........she had to have a name just the same as her mum, but a name just the same.I love when Cadd comes into singing the "a little ray of sunshine" part, I've always thought he was holding his nose by the sound of it, but props to Shorrock.Probably our best ever rock singer, (even if he is from England). :)

Don't you pick on "A little ray of sunshine", people have died for less. :(

Ronnie Charles from "The Groop" had the best rock voice, amazing considering he was only 18 when he started, I still get chills listening to his voice. :thumbsu:

mantis said:
Ronnie Charles from "The Groop" had the best rock voice, amazing considering he was only 18 when he started, I still get chills listening to his voice. :thumbsu:
I'll inform him of that sweetie. :) But please don't talk of Ronnie without his "a bit too good a friend" Roger Treble.Complete pr1ck of a man, but if it all brought happiness to you my love, thats all that matters.

But I stand by my Shorrock opinion.

mantis said:
For those who aren't old enough to remember it, made aussie singer Robin Jolley a one hit wonder in 1972. It also has the dubious distintion of being in the top 10 worst australian songs, as voted in 2005.

It was written by two great aussie musicians, Don Mudie & Brian Cadd. Well it seems some people like this song & in fact, it is going to be used as a mobile ring tone in ............ wait for it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Chekoslavakia, aahhh those crazy Cheks. :D

3.gif
Those crazy Czechs!!

Love that song - recently downloaded it from the Net.

mantis said:

I am. :rolleyes: :(

Wasn't it "painted violet, ebony and green?" :D

mantis said:

It's been such a raging success that the Czechs are now negotiating for the rights to other 70's Oz Classics including "The Pushbike Song", "My Little Angel", "Knock,Knock, Who's There?" "Heaven Is My Woman's Love", ""Cinderella, Rockefeller" & "World's Greatest Mum" amongst others.:eek:

cats56 said:
It's been such a raging success that the Czechs are now negotiating for the rights to other 70's Oz Classics including "The Pushbike Song", "My Little Angel", "Knock,Knock, Who's There?" "Heaven Is My Woman's Love", ""Cinderella, Rockefeller" & "World's Greatest Mum" amongst others.:eek:
Cinderella Rockafeller wasn't Australian IIRC.

But that's okay, we can substitute "The Newcastle Song" in its place. :D

(Edit - with Rak Off Normie sitting on the bench in case of any further pullouts).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

mantis said:
Yet you know the words. :D
Don't we all? :)

Edit - look what you have done to me Mantis, I have had to pull out my 20 Solid Hits LP and give MPMM a run. :D

Spot quiz. Here is the track listing from 20 Solid Hits LP, put artists to all these songs (if you get some of these, particularly on Side Two, you are a genius):

Side One
You're All Woman
Sylvia's Mother
Look Wot You Dun
Gypsy Queen
Hod Rod Lincoln
Crazy Mama
Memories
Readymix Revenge
You Are Everything
Marshall's Portable Music Machine

Side Two
Beautiful Sunday
Why Do Little Kids Have To Die
One Monkey Don't Stop No Show
Precious and Few
Get It On
Everything's Alright
Can I Have My Money Back
Roll Away The Stone
I Will Return
The Juggler

No cheating please. :D

Hint - I think we are circa 1972 with this.

(20 Solid Hits was released on Majestic, distributed by K-Tel and was a stereo record which could also be played on mono equipment. :D :D ).

sherb said:

(Edit - with Rak Off Normie sitting on the bench in case of any further pullouts).

Yeah,sherbs i know it was a cover, but the version by Anne & Johnny Hawker was just so bad i just had to include it. Perhaps i could sustitute "Timothy" by Anne Hawker? Although i think your nom's will do just fine! Your nom's reminded me of that crappy song about an FJ Holden, who and what was that?

Perhaps we could include Marty Rhones "Mean Pair Of Jeans" or Mark Holden's "Wanna Make You A Lady" (or whatever the songs were called).

cats56 said:
Yeah,sherbs i know it was a cover, but the version by Anne & Johnny Hawker was just so bad i just had to include it. Perhaps i could sustitute "Timothy" by Anne Hawker? Although i think your nom's will do just fine! Your nom's reminded me of that crappy song about an FJ Holden, who and what was that?

Perhaps we could include Marty Rhones "Mean Pair Of Jeans" or Mark Holden's "Wanna Make You A Lady" (or whatever the songs were called).

I think that song was a solo effort by Ol' 55's Frankie J. Holden.

Did the chouras go-In my FJ, In my FJ holden we ride, ride, ride?

sherb said:
Spot quiz. Here is the track listing from 20 Solid Hits LP, put artists to all these songs (if you get some of these, particularly on Side Two, you are a genius):

Side One
You're All Woman
Sylvia's Mother
Look Wot You Dun
Gypsy Queen
Hod Rod Lincoln
Crazy Mama
Memories
Readymix Revenge
You Are Everything
Marshall's Portable Music Machine

Side Two
Beautiful Sunday
Why Do Little Kids Have To Die
Precious and Few
Get It On
Everything's Alright
Can I Have My Money Back
Roll Away The Stone
I Will Return
The Juggler

No cheating please. :D

Hint - I think we are circa 1972 with this.

(20 Solid Hits was released on Majestic, distributed by K-Tel and was a stereo record which could also be played on mono equipment. :D :D ).

Some shocker's there: Do you really own this?

A:1. Sherbert. (shocker, sorry sherbs).
2. Dr. Hook - shocker.
3. Slade- listenable @ the time.
4. Country Radio (Greg Quill- good track).
5. No f'n idea.
6. JJ Cale -good.
7. Barbara Srtreisand? - dreadful.
8. N.F.I.
9. Know the song but not artist- shocker.
10. Robin Jolly- Could be my most hated of all time.

B. 1.Daniel Boone- disgraceful.
2. -
3. Think i know the song, not artist.
4. Ditto.
5. T.Rex (classic).
6. -
7. Don't know, but it's what i would have said if i'd bought this album.
8. Presume it's the Leon Russell version - not bad.
9. As 3.
10. N.F.I.

This is the third time I've tried to answer this. This post is jinxed:p

Side One
You're All Woman
Sylvia's Mother - Dr Hook
Look Wot You Dun - Slade
Gypsy Queen
Hod Rod Lincoln
Crazy Mama - JJ Cale
Memories
Readymix Revenge
You Are Everything (EDIT: - Is this The Real Thing ????)
Marshall's Portable Music Machine - Robin Jolley

Side Two
Beautiful Sunday - Daniel Boone
Why Do Little Kids Have To Die - Hans Poulsen (??)
Precious and Few - Climax
Get It On - T Rex
Everything's Alright - Yvonne Elliman (??)
Can I Have My Money Back
Roll Away The Stone
I Will Return
The Juggler - Sensational Alex Harvey Band(??)

Being ten/nine at the time and an avid radio listener I should remember more:eek:

sherb said:

Of all the things I thought I'd be reading on the internet today these two songs weren't amongst them:D

"Rak off Normie you and your mates I know what your up to but I'll put ya straight...":eek: :eek:

localyokel said:

Wasn't that also the soundtrack to a rather easily forgotten film as well?

cats56 said:
Some shocker's there: Do you really own this?

A:1. Sherbert. (shocker, sorry sherbs).
2. Dr. Hook - shocker.
3. Slade- listenable @ the time.
4. Country Radio (Greg Quill- good track).
5. No f'n idea.
6. JJ Cale -good.
7. Barbara Srtreisand? - dreadful.
8. N.F.I.
9. Know the song but not artist- shocker.
10. Robin Jolly- Could be my most hated of all time.

B. 1.Daniel Boone- disgraceful.
2. -
3. Think i know the song, not artist.
4. Ditto.
5. T.Rex (classic).
6. -
7. Don't know, but it's what i would have said if i'd bought this album.8. Presume it's the Leon Russell version - not bad.
9. As 3.
10. N.F.I.

That's funny!:D
Good pick up on Sherbert and Country Radio .I'd forgotten those.
Also Slade STILL gets an occassional airing in this house!:cool:

localyokel said:

Don't think it was local, just sound's too obvious. All i know it was a bad song.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back