Marshall's portable music machine

Remove this Banner Ad

cats56 said:
Don't think it was local, just sound's too obvious. All i know it was a bad song.

I've just remembered it was called "It's my right of way"

As in
"It's my right of way in my FJ, in my FJ Holden, Drive drive drive"

Circa 1977 and Frankie Holden should NEVER be forgiven.

Leaping Lindner said:
That's funny!:D
Good pick up on Sherbert and Country Radio .I'd forgotten those.
Also Slade STILL gets an occassional airing in this house!:cool:

Good Ol' Noddy LL. Could really belt it out. Slade were really big in their time. Jeez, the Slade Alive album was flogged to death at every party you went to back then.

Managed to catch Country Radio back then, Greg Quill was a tall man.

Okay, here we go - some well known names here :D :

Side One
You're All Woman - Sherbet
Sylvia's Mother - Dr Hook and The Medicine Show
Look Wot You Dun - Slade
Gypsy Queen - Country Radio
Hod Rod Lincoln - Commander Cody and His Lost Planet Airmen
Crazy Mama - JJ Cale
Memories - Ted Mulry
Readymix Revenge - Johnny Chester and Jigsaw
You Are Everything - The Stylistics
Marshall's Portable Music Machine - Robin Jolley

Side Two
Beautiful Sunday - Daniel Boone
Why Do Little Kids Have To Die - Darryl Cotton
One Monkey Don't Stop No Show - Honey Cone
Precious and Few - Climax
Get It On - T Rex
Everything's Alright - Jennifer Ryall
Can I Have My Money Back - Gerry Rafferty
Roll Away The Stone - Leon Russell
I Will Return - Michael Holm
The Juggler - Glenn Cardier

I have no idea who some of these artists are. :rolleyes: And I had no idea of some of the songs even if I did know the artist (eg Darryl Cotton, Gerry Rafferty)

Ted Mulry actually wrote You're All Woman as well as having a solo (pre TMG) track on the album.

I must transcribe and post the Readymix Revenge lyrics, they are a hoot.

And can I please ask a little favour guys - after nearly 40 years - and with a reunion coming up - it is spelt Sherbet....Sherbet....not Sherbert. :eek:

sherb said:
Okay, here we go - some well known names here :D :

Side One
You're All Woman - Sherbet
Sylvia's Mother - Dr Hook and The Medicine Show
Look Wot You Dun - Slade
Gypsy Queen - Country Radio
Hod Rod Lincoln - Commander Cody and His Lost Planet Airmen
Crazy Mama - JJ Cale
Memories - Ted Mulry
Readymix Revenge - Johnny Chester and Jigsaw
You Are Everything - The Stylistics
Marshall's Portable Music Machine - Robin Jolley

Side Two
Beautiful Sunday - Daniel Boone
Why Do Little Kids Have To Die - Darryl Cotton
One Monkey Don't Stop No Show - Honey Cone
Precious and Few - Climax
Get It On - T Rex
Everything's Alright - Jennifer Ryall
Can I Have My Money Back - Gerry Rafferty
Roll Away The Stone - Leon Russell
I Will Return - Michael Holm
The Juggler - Glenn Cardier

I have no idea who some of these artists are. :rolleyes: And I had no idea of some of the songs even if I did know the artist (eg Darryl Cotton, Gerry Rafferty)

Ted Mulry actually wrote You're All Woman as well as having a solo (pre TMG) track on the album.

I must transcribe and post the Readymix Revenge lyrics, they are a hoot.

And can I please ask a little favour guys - after nearly 40 years - and with a reunion coming up - it is spelt Sherbet....Sherbet....not Sherbert. :eek:

Commander Cody & hlpa wern't too bad, i can't recall the particular track, can you tell us a little about it sherbs? They played varying styles. The Gerry Rafferty track is pre Stealer's Wheel off an album of the same name.

From memory Glenn Cardier was a fairly mellow Oz singer-songwriter, and interesting to see the legendary Johnny Chester get a guernsey! Unfortunately I can vaguely remember 'Readymix Revenge'.:(

Who in hell were Jennifer Ryall and Michael Holm?

Leaping Lindner said:
I've just remembered it was called "It's my right of way"

As in
"It's my right of way in my FJ, in my FJ Holden, Drive drive drive"

Circa 1977 and Frankie Holden should NEVER be forgiven.

Just had no idea, and didn't want too. All i remember thinking at the time was "Just when i thought music couldn't get any worse, it has!"

Now i know the name i'll add it too my never ending list of bad songs. Thanks LL and local.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

cats56 said:
Commander Cody & hlpa wern't too bad, i can't recall the particular track, can you tell us a little about it sherbs? They played varying styles. The Gerry Rafferty track is pre Stealer's Wheel off an album of the same name.

From memory Glenn Cardier was a fairly mellow Oz singer-songwriter, and interesting to see the legendary Johnny Chester get a guernsey! Unfortunately I can vaguely remember 'Readymix Revenge'.:(

Who in hell were Jennifer Ryall and Michael Holm?
Hod Rod Lincoln is a country/truckin' type song, I am sure I have heard other versions of it.

I did a little investigating, you are right about Glenn Cardier. Jennifer Ryall was an Australian singer who released two singles in total and Michael Holm could well be this dude.

Here is my summation of Readymix Revenge by the way:
"A guy drives his cement mixer from dawn to dusk, this job supports his loving wife who he thinks stays at home each day. However, he doesn't realize she is having an affair. When he sees them together in the main street, he gets angry and follows them to her lover's house in his cement mixer. The lover's Thunderbird is parked out the front, so he backs up the cement mixer and dumps seven yards of ready mixed concrete into the driver's side of said Thunderbird. He has cemented their relationship for life whilst at the same time exacting his Readymix Revenge."
:D :D :D

I found myself listening to this on YouTube today and vaguely remembered it. Wondered where it got to on the Australian charts but all i found was you guys talking about it 11 years ago.
Anybody know how high this "barry crocker" made it to?

I found myself listening to this on YouTube today and vaguely remembered it. Wondered where it got to on the Australian charts but all i found was you guys talking about it 11 years ago.
Anybody know how high this "barry crocker" made it to?

According to "The Book: Top 40 Research 1956-1994" it peaked at number 9 and was in the Aussie music charts for 14 weeks.

Thanks worbod.
I don't know if you guys have talked about it as i haven't gone through the Music section, but there was some atrocious hit songs in Australia in the early 70s for some reason. Don't know if it was because of the radio boycott thing, but its hard to believe this made it into the top 10.

Thanks worbod.
I don't know if you guys have talked about it as i haven't gone through the Music section, but there was some atrocious hit songs in Australia in the early 70s for some reason. Don't know if it was because of the radio boycott thing, but its hard to believe this made it into the top 10.

There was a lot more good stuff than bad stuff!!!

There was a lot more good stuff than bad stuff!!!

For sure, but some of the stuff you see on GTK episodes on Rage, like that Boom Sha Lala song makes you wonder. It happens everywhere though. I looked through the English charts from the 70s once and in amongst the awesome stuff like Slade were novelty songs and songs by soccer teams and all sorts of crap.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back