Martin going to the Swans?

Remove this Banner Ad

Dude, Buddy was a beast. If he stayed at Hawthorn he might be a 5 time premiership player, last player to kick 100 goals and be in the pantheon of greatness. Probably jags a norm in there too. Been put with injury and people forget...

hypotheticals. had the skills, but as influential as Martin? Not a chance. Hawthorn won a premiership without him. Richmond don't win one without Martin, and 2018 with a lame Dusty in the goal square vs Collingwood in the prelim is case in point

hypotheticals. had the skills, but as influential as Martin? Not a chance. Hawthorn won a premiership without him. Richmond don't win one without Martin, and 2018 with a lame Dusty in the goal square vs Collingwood in the prelim is case in point
I don't care about comparison. I object to those who say Buddy won't be remembered or isn't influential.

Actually the further back you go the less premierships matter. I know of Bob Pratt from the 30's because he was one of the best players of his era (easier for a forward as they tend to get remembered more) but I have no idea how many premierships he won. In fact every player I know of before WW2 (which admittedly is not a lot) I only know of because of who they were as players, not based on what team they played for or how many premierships they got.

I don't think history (and I am talkng about 50 or more years into the past) really cares about how many premierships a player wins.
What about bring the only player in history with 3 Norms?

See I am not so sure. I think percentage wise very few people would have heard of guys like Burton and Reynolds. Skilton a bit more, mostly because he was 40 years more recent and still alive but I could easily see him being someone that most people have not heard of in a few decades too.

I mean look at this

I am not sure about anyone else but I don't start regularly recognising names until the late 1970's. I know everyone from the mid 80's onwards, but very few from the late 70's and earlier. If it is before the 1955 you can forget about it in terms of me having heard of any of those players, and I am willing to bet there are a lot of people on this forum who are in a similar boat.

I mean look at this guy

Got a couple of Brownlows, was captain of Richmond for 2 years, in the Richmond team of the century and is in the Hall of Fame, and yet I am willing to bet a huge percentage of people would not have a clue who he was. I may be wrong, but I think he has been largely forgotten.

Dating back pre-TV, I think the ‘most’ Brownlows are remembered by keen footy followers. Then the 1,000 goal kickers. Then the most goals in a season of 150. Then a handful of iconic figures throughout history - a couple due to commentary careers Jack Dyer, Lou Richards. Beyond that it’s slim pickings and I’d agree flags won are not going to be that big 75+ years from now.

It may be Boomer Harvey for most games. Dusty for 3 x NS. Buddy for being the greatest goal kicker of what’s likely to be the Year 2000 onwards, even if he doesn’t get 1,000. Then Fyfe if he wins a 3rd Brownlow. And Gary Junior for being son of a 1,000 goal kicker and legend in his own right. And Lethal for being voted player of the century.

Which is not to say other players won’t be known and revered by their own supporters plus other footy diehards. But if you think Jackovich and Neitz and Dipper and Bradley and Kernahan and Healy etc... are going to be household names 50-years from now it’s not going to happen.

There’ll be more household names thanks to TV and replays and awards and the internet etc.... but there’ll be 10-15 players from 1970-2020 who are known to almost all footy followers in 2070..... at the most. And they’ll be the ones with important ‘most of’ records and other quirks to provide them fame like Dyer and Richards.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I’m talking in 100 years like the Swans dude said. Can anyone here name the norm Smith/grand final award equivalent winner for the 1921 grand final?
You are cooked this guy has won the most norm smiths out of anyone and is one of the best of his era , he will be remembered. Another salty fan lolol

It is an interesting discussion though, wondering which players will be known 100 years from now.

I mean look at someone like Tom Hawkins, great player, no doubt about it, won premierships, kicked plenty of goals, consistently in the top 5 best key forwards of the last 15 years or so, but to me Tom Hawkins won't be well known in 100 years. I mean does anyone remember the 4th or 5th best key forward of the 1930's?

We also see that midfielders seem to be more easily forgotten than key forwards as well, and defenders basically have no hope of being remembered long term. I think the era between 2010 and 2020 history will remember 1, maybe 2 players, and I think Buddy will be one of them simply because he was the best key forward of that period and his name is top 5 in the goal kicking tally.
Lol this guy is cooked. You're comparing Tom Hawkins a good player yes against someone who is goat conversations mate. Please stop embarrassing yourself. Leigh Matthews said himself dusty is the only player he doesn't get offended being compared to. The fact he is being discussed as one of the goats puts him up there with carey ablett Matthews etc and those guys will always be remembered. Try again mate

Norm Smith's are pretty easy to get when your team makes the Grand Final a few times and you are undoubtedly the best player of that team. Sort of like Melbourne of yesteryear and Nathan Jones.

Plus none of the Richmond Grand Finals were close. Had Martin not played they still would have won. The best Norm Smith's are the ones where the player turns the tide for his team.
Okay you are officially stupid. Did you even watch the 2020 grand final , Richmond behind ... Dusty scoring the goal to turn the tide basically before half time... Big reason why we won.... Pretty sure you're troll

I’m not sure it’s very easy to win 3 of them. Only one player has done it in the 40 year history of the award.

As for your last point, you can’t really take away from a player for their teammates being good enough to not need them. What you’re essentially saying is if Richmond overall performed slightly worse, Martins achievements would be better.
He was dropped as a baby for sure. 3 normys only player to do it. Oh yeah they are easy to win. You just gotta make granny first. Ask the other teams how easy it is to make a granny. Let alone winning one
The salt of oppo fans fml

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2019 & 2020 are indisputable. He was BOG.
2017 is disputable, I have him and Houli pretty much equal. Houli was stiff to miss out, but if Houli had won, Dusty would’ve been equally stiff.

I had Houli well ahead in 2017. Martin peaked late which had him fresh in the minds of the voters. Houli was huge all day. His rebound out of defence was what JJ wished he could have done in 2016.

Also the AFL loves a good story so Brownlow NS double makes for plenty of column space.

2019 and 2020 Dusty was brilliant.

You are cooked this guy has won the most norm smiths out of anyone and is one of the best of his era , he will be remembered. Another salty fan lolol
Okay.

why would I be salty about Richmond what have they ever done to me. As Pauline Hanson says “please explain”.

Without looking it up though how many premierships, Norm Smiths, All Australians and B&F's did Polly Farmer win?
You're missing the point entirely, having a lot of something won't necessarily ensure a player is remembered. Nor will just being a great player necessarily ensure a recall.

Being a record holder of a certain accolade, even some that might be obscure, ensures that player is remembered.

People will know the players who kicked the most goals, the most games, the most premierships, the most Colemans, Brownlows, MVPs, etc. They'll have a clear status as that record holder in history.

It's why Dusty, until his record is broken which one day it very well may be, will always hold space and conversation somewhere on GF day and football history up until someone wins more Norm Smith medals. If the Gary Ayres medal keeps being awarded the player who holds the most of those will be remembered too.

And certainly for a long while, Dusty will be considered one of the greatest finals players of all time, possibly the best with a few more years left in him and Richmond don't look like going away in September just yet.

You're missing the point entirely, having a lot of something won't necessarily ensure a player is remembered. Nor will just being a great player necessarily ensure a recall.

Being a record holder of a certain accolade, even some that might be obscure, ensures that player is remembered.

People will know the players who kicked the most goals, the most games, the most premierships, the most Colemans, Brownlows, MVPs, etc. They'll have a clear status as that record holder in history.

It's why Dusty, until his record is broken which one day it very well may be, will always hold space and conversation somewhere on GF day and football history up until someone wins more Norm Smith medals. If the Gary Ayres medal keeps being awarded the player who holds the most of those will be remembered too.

And certainly for a long while, Dusty will be considered one of the greatest finals players of all time, possibly the best with a few more years left in him and Richmond don't look like going away in September just yet.

Buddy has a record, although it's not the sort that usually goes in the stats books.

Bent a club over for the dumbest contract.

Buddy and Sydney will be remembered for a long time for that one.

Okay.

why would I be salty about Richmond what have they ever done to me. As Pauline Hanson says “please explain”.
Can't handle our success so has to downplay by spruking stupid comparasions , dusty has won 3 , he is in a league of his own. Nice try. If someone from your club won 3 norms you wouldn't be talking about them like that .

as the decades roll by and players, most of them, are forgotten , even the great ones

it needs still pics that are very iconic or very short video clips for a players name to live on

1614915143777.png

1614915105920.png

Buddy's famous running goal

Dusty GF goals , but the last one with Danger hanging off him is the best

both Buddy and Dusty have many video highlights made from their efforts , the better ones of those will live on and keep their names up their for a long time

and we will remember many players not for divine footballs feats

Selwood will get remembered for this
1614915810335.png
and Francis Bourke
1614915858625.png
Jack Dyer for this , and he pleads that he hit the ball not the player :)

1614915900632.png

leigh Matthews doesn't want to be remembered for this
1614916027611.png
1614916043689.png

Ackermanis for this and the list could go on

1614916080746.png

and Whacko Jacko still gets a run

1614916280500.png

and Mal Brown's memory lingers …. well for some Carlton players

Attachments

• 1614915048462.png
    1614915048462.png
    93 KB · Views: 18
Okay you are officially stupid. Did you even watch the 2020 grand final , Richmond behind ... Dusty scoring the goal to turn the tide basically before half time... Big reason why we won.... Pretty sure you're troll
This Group 1 imbecile is one of the salty ones who switched to The Simpsons to avoid watching Richmond being crowned premiers AGAIN!! Of course he had no idea Dusty turned the game, hence his ridiculous comments throughout this thread. What a mess Richmond has made of this poor campaigner. Love it!!

I had Houli well ahead in 2017. Martin peaked late which had him fresh in the minds of the voters. Houli was huge all day. His rebound out of defence was what JJ wished he could have done in 2016.

Also the AFL loves a good story so Brownlow NS double makes for plenty of column space.

2019 and 2020 Dusty was brilliant.
the reason Dusty won it in 2017 because he does things normal players don't do, he extracts the ball in traffic and does something important with it.
He is High impact and high damage. not taking away anything from houlis games though because he did get very very close to wining it.

the reason Dusty won it in 2017 because he does things normal players don't do, he extracts the ball in traffic and does something important with it.
He is High impact and high damage. not taking away anything from houlis games though because he did get very very close to wining it.

All true. And Dusty 100% earned 2019, and 2020 pretty much won the game on his own. Geelong simply couldnt touch him from late in the 2nd until the end of the game. He did everything Danger is supposed to be able to do. But didnt.

But 2017, Houli to me was just so strong all day. And the difference between him and JJ in 2016 was enormous. They had similar ball but JJ hacked it out of defence over and over, but Houli was just so clean. I have no idea how many goals he set up, but it felt like he was involved in nearly all of them.

All true. And Dusty 100% earned 2019, and 2020 pretty much won the game on his own. Geelong simply couldnt touch him from late in the 2nd until the end of the game. He did everything Danger is supposed to be able to do. But didnt.

But 2017, Houli to me was just so strong all day. And the difference between him and JJ in 2016 was enormous. They had similar ball but JJ hacked it out of defence over and over, but Houli was just so clean. I have no idea how many goals he set up, but it felt like he was involved in nearly all of them.
Houli has done a power of work at Richmond, and TBO he has been a miracle find.
What was more amazing than the 2017 GF performance was his 2020 GF, the reason why he is battling with his calf right now is because he had to play the 2020 GF with a very bad calf injury that he had pre-game, we would've struggled not having both Vlaustin and Houli so Houli had to play.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back