Remove this Banner Ad

BigBreakfast

Premiership Player
Sep 19, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Lakeshow
Why will Buddy be talked about in a century? Part of 2 flags, so was Shannon Byrnes. Couldn't kick on his opposite side, not very good overhead, didn't kick a 1,000 goals.

On the other hand, it will either be the only player to win 3 Norm Smith Medals or the first player to win 3 Norm Smith Medals and the greatest finals player we've seen or the greatest finals player in the first 150 years of the competition.
Dude, Buddy was a beast. If he stayed at Hawthorn he might be a 5 time premiership player, last player to kick 100 goals and be in the pantheon of greatness. Probably jags a norm in there too. Been put with injury and people forget...

BigBreakfast

Premiership Player
Sep 19, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Lakeshow
you do realise Martin is an actual record holder and will probably go down as the greatest grand final performer ever.

Buddy has no records. What exactly will he be remembered for? Tony Lockett will hold more longevity than Franklin for this reason.
In a different era when scoring was easier. Buddy will go down as an all time great. If nothing else the last player to kick 100 in a season.

mcgarnacle

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 2, 2003
Inner West
AFL Club
Sydney
Dude, Buddy was a beast. If he stayed at Hawthorn he might be a 5 time premiership player, last player to kick 100 goals and be in the pantheon of greatness. Probably jags a norm in there too. Been put with injury and people forget...
hypotheticals. had the skills, but as influential as Martin? Not a chance. Hawthorn won a premiership without him. Richmond don't win one without Martin, and 2018 with a lame Dusty in the goal square vs Collingwood in the prelim is case in point

BigBreakfast

Premiership Player
Sep 19, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Lakeshow
hypotheticals. had the skills, but as influential as Martin? Not a chance. Hawthorn won a premiership without him. Richmond don't win one without Martin, and 2018 with a lame Dusty in the goal square vs Collingwood in the prelim is case in point
I don't care about comparison. I object to those who say Buddy won't be remembered or isn't influential.

RichLeMonde

All Australian
Sep 26, 2019
Sydney
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Celtics
Actually the further back you go the less premierships matter. I know of Bob Pratt from the 30's because he was one of the best players of his era (easier for a forward as they tend to get remembered more) but I have no idea how many premierships he won. In fact every player I know of before WW2 (which admittedly is not a lot) I only know of because of who they were as players, not based on what team they played for or how many premierships they got.

I don't think history (and I am talkng about 50 or more years into the past) really cares about how many premierships a player wins.
What about bring the only player in history with 3 Norms?

Remove this Banner Ad