Martin going to the Swans?

Remove this Banner Ad

The stars could align for Martin to replace Franklin, with both players off-contract at the end of the 2022 season.

Well that's embarrassing - Martin's signed till the end of '24...

Last edited:

Rich01

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
In a century from now people will still be talking about Buddy, while Martin will have long since been forgotten about.
Imagine what they would be saying about Buddy’s career if he stayed at the Hawks. Five time premiership player. Just couldn’t get the team success at his new club.

I’d love Dusty to stay a one club player.
But if the Swans were to offer him a 5 year contract once his Richmond one expires, I wouldn’t begrudge him.

Would always be seen as a Richmond player, like Buddy will be looked back on as a Hawk.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Imagine what they would be saying about Buddy’s career if he stayed at the Hawks. Five time premiership player. Just couldn’t get the team success at his new club.

I’d love Dusty to stay a one club player.
But if the Swans were to offer him a 5 year contract once his Richmond one expires, I wouldn’t begrudge him.

Would always be seen as a Richmond player, like Buddy will be looked back on as a Hawk.

Actually the further back you go the less premierships matter. I know of Bob Pratt from the 30's because he was one of the best players of his era (easier for a forward as they tend to get remembered more) but I have no idea how many premierships he won. In fact every player I know of before WW2 (which admittedly is not a lot) I only know of because of who they were as players, not based on what team they played for or how many premierships they got.

I don't think history (and I am talkng about 50 or more years into the past) really cares about how many premierships a player wins.

Vassp

Premiership Player
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
as always Sydney need (with the help of the AFL) the biggest marquee signing in the AFL and Martin certainly fits the bill. would Martin leave?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Spiritof82

Premiership Player
Jan 8, 2004
S**tny, the cesspit of OZ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Sydney might be once-bitten, twice-shy about doing another one of those deals.

I'm sure the AFL has their fingerprints all over this, the Buddy trade is turning out to be a disaster for one of their Sydney love children so they need to find some other big name player to fill the void to try even some minor interest in their bottomless money pit again.

sprockets

Cancelled
Crime Board Sleuth BeanCoiNFT Investor
Oct 15, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
I haven't seen the paper but I bet it was front and back page...

"... It is purely speculation at this point.

Carr has not directly addressed the link with the Swans, but his comments about the three-time Norm Smith medallist’s fondness for Sydney will raise eyebrows.

“Dusty loves Sydney,” Carr said."

In other news I said "won" which means I won a billion dollars.

Unlikely. Both will probably be forgotten/ unknown to the new generation.

Dustin Martin is a 3-time Norm Smith Medalist— will be mentioned on Grand Final Day every year for the foreseeable future.

BillHickman

Stuntman
Feb 18, 2021
AFL Club
Richmond
Actually the further back you go the less premierships matter. I know of Bob Pratt from the 30's because he was one of the best players of his era (easier for a forward as they tend to get remembered more) but I have no idea how many premierships he won. In fact every player I know of before WW2 (which admittedly is not a lot) I only know of because of who they were as players, not based on what team they played for or how many premierships they got.

I don't think history (and I am talkng about 50 or more years into the past) really cares about how many premierships a player wins.

Would premierships + Norm Smiths + Brownlow + All Australians + B&Fs jog anyone's memory though? It might.

CarnTheScray

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 4, 2019
Ballarat
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Dustin Martin is a 3-time Norm Smith Medalist— will be mentioned on Grand Final Day every year for the foreseeable future.
I’m talking in 100 years like the Swans dude said. Can anyone here name the norm Smith/grand final award equivalent winner for the 1921 grand final?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back