Martin going to the Swans?

Remove this Banner Ad

Can't blame others for your lack of historical knowledge.

There's a few non-negotiables that any footy head should know. You don't necessarily have to know the numbers, but should at least know the club / name.

Triple Brownlow Medallists
Haydn Bunton Snr (also won the Sandover Medal in WA 3 times, I can't believe you had to look him up, he's even from NSW)
Dick Reynolds
Bobby Skilton
Ian Stewart.

Players that have kicked over 1,000 career goals
Tony Lockett
Gordon Coventry
Jason Dunstall
Doug Wage
Gary Ablett Snr

Multiple Norm Smith Medal Winners
Dustin Martin x 3
Gary Ayres x 2
Andrew McLeod x 2
Luke Hodge x 2

Norm Smith Medal Winners from Losing Teams
Maurice Rioli
Gary Ablett Snr
Nathan Buckley
Chris Judd

Most Premierships in a row (you should know Collingwood at the very minimum)
Collingwood x 4
Carlton x 3
Melbourne x 3 (2 times)
Brisbane x 3
Hawthorn x 3

Most Goals in a GF
Gary Ablett Snr x 9

Most Goals in a Finals Series
Gary Ablett Snr x 27

Highest Goal Average Per Game
Peter Hudson 5.64

Biggest Crowd at a GF
1970 Collingwood v Carlton 121,696 (you don't need to know the exact number, just that 1970 is the correct answer)

Biggest Half Time Deficit
44 points Carlton, 1970 (Teddy Hopkins, footy folklore)

Highest Score
Geelong 37.19 239 v Brisbane

Most Goals in a game
18 Fred Fanning

Most Goals in a Season
Bob Pratt x 150 (kicked the first 100 in 13 games)
Peter Hudson x 150 (choking in the quest to break the record in the 1971 GF and got knocked out by Cowboy Neale)

Most Premierships
Essendon x 16
Carlton x 16

Most Wooden Spoons
St Kilda x 27

Most Games Played
Brent Harvey

Over 400 Games Played
Brent Harvey
Michael Tuck
Kevin Barlett
Dustin Fletcher

Most Grand Final Appearances By A Player
Michael Tuck x 11

Most Premierships Won By A Player
Michael Tuck x 7

Most Premierships Won By A Player / Coach
Ronald Dale Barassi Jnr x 10, 6 as a player and 4 as a coach.
A good idea for a thread: Footy 101 for Nincompoops.

I’m talking in 100 years like the Swans dude said. Can anyone here name the norm Smith/grand final award equivalent winner for the 1921 grand final?
Unless someone breaks Dusty's Norm Smith wins, I believe 3 is the most for that medal as its named, then he's likely to hold space on Grand Final day until it is.

Someone winning more than 3 is possible in 100 years, but it also might not occur.

Dusty will be at Richmond for as long as the Tiges want him, which is at least until 2024.

If the Swans are dumb enough to pay some mega deal again for a guy who will be 33/34 and passed his prime then good luck to them.

Dusty has already turned down bigger offers before, so what I think is a far more likely scenario is sometime in 2022/23 Martin extends for another couple of years to finish his career at Tigerland at around 35 years old if his body holds up. By that stage he's probably just sitting in the forward line kicking 50 a year.

Why did Franklin move?
Because he got a stupidly long big money deal that would have him well paid even when his body was cooked (ala now).

Add that to the fact he's less recognisable than he would be in Melbourne, but still celebrity enough to get the perks he wants and its a good deal.

Because he got a stupidly long big money deal that would have him well paid even when his body was cooked (ala now).

Add that to the fact he's less recognisable than he would be in Melbourne, but still celebrity enough to get the perks he wants and its a good deal.
1+ million a year for not playing. Where do I sign?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I haven't seen the paper but I bet it was front and back page...

"... It is purely speculation at this point.

Carr has not directly addressed the link with the Swans, but his comments about the three-time Norm Smith medallist’s fondness for Sydney will raise eyebrows.

“Dusty loves Sydney,” Carr said."

In other news I said "won" which means I won a billion dollars.
yes he didnt say Sydney FC,FFS i love going theyre sometimes,but doesnt meani want to work n live permanently

It is an interesting discussion though, wondering which players will be known 100 years from now.

I mean look at someone like Tom Hawkins, great player, no doubt about it, won premierships, kicked plenty of goals, consistently in the top 5 best key forwards of the last 15 years or so, but to me Tom Hawkins won't be well known in 100 years. I mean does anyone remember the 4th or 5th best key forward of the 1930's?

We also see that midfielders seem to be more easily forgotten than key forwards as well, and defenders basically have no hope of being remembered long term. I think the era between 2010 and 2020 history will remember 1, maybe 2 players, and I think Buddy will be one of them simply because he was the best key forward of that period and his name is top 5 in the goal kicking tally.
buddy will be remembered for sure long after hes finished playing,most probably more than anybody else of his era,it mainly comes down to those 3
acts of pure brilliance tho,the 2 running bouncing goals v Essendon and that 55mgoal from the boundary when only 20yrs old to win the final on the siren against Adelaide..unfortunately as an oppo supporter i only recall 1 magical moment hes had with sydney in 7 years and that was taking Mcgovern
to the cleaners and kicking 8 on him in the opening rd a few years ago.quite sad if your a Sydney supporter imo
Now forget Dustys brownlow and Norm smiths and the like,that game and those goals he produced in the the 2020 GF will still be remembered in
50 years time,he produced what even the 2 greatest players of all time were never able to produce even tho they played well
multiple times on GF day,Matthews and Carey.Dusty's 2020 GF was out of this world,Matthews acknowledged it because he knows as an esteemed
voice on the game theres nothing better than telling the truth.
Its a pity Franklin will never get to the heights that Martin has achieved on GF day because he had his opportunities & ability to do what dusty
achieved in 2020 its just a FACT and on record that he was reduced to a role player in all 4 gf's & thats a shame

It really doesn't. Tony Lockett will likely be the guy remembered from the 1980's in 2080 and he didn't win a single premiership.

That's because he's the only player in the league to ever kick 1300+ goals, and his tally will probably never be overtaken. Without that standout achievement to set him apart from the rest of his contemporaries, his lack of a premiership probably WOULD have hurt his legacy, and he potentially wouldn't be as immortalized as he is today.

I agree in principle that a player can create a legacy that transcends how many "premierships" they win, if any, but it's the exception rather than the rule, and in order to do so, they have to be the very very best (literally #1) at something, and basically be peerless in that area or aspect of the game... which brings me onto Dustin Martin's place in the game. The reality is, Dusty has the best of both worlds now, in terms of ultimate team and personal success in footy, and is clearly a once-in-a-generation type of player.

He is absolutely proven and peerless when it comes to Grand Final performances, being the only man to win more than 2 Norm Smith Medals, not to mention the loyalty he showed by sacrificing the bigger money offers at the end of 2017, which ultimately led him to having the team success that he so desperately craves.

Also, given the way we keep stats these days too... yeah, there's absolutely no chance that he'll be forgotten to time, he'll literally be talked about as one of the greatest players the game has ever seen by the time he's finished.

He is already firmly in the conversation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In a century from now people will still be talking about Buddy, while Martin will have long since been forgotten about.
'Mr Nvs, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I've ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response was there anything that could even be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.'

You needed to get out of under that RUNVS rock! 😂

The AFL are poor at promoting the history of the game, generally speaking. In fact they seem averse to promoting it.

They briefly provided historical stats pages which some of us gleefully consumed, but it's left to the likes of *Paul* with his afltables.com site to keep the public informed.

The AFL are poor at promoting the history of the game, generally speaking. In fact they seem averse to promoting it.

They briefly provided historical stats pages which some of us gleefully consumed, but it's left to the likes of *Paul* with his afltables.com site to keep the public informed.

It also astonishes me how little most footy fans are interested in the history of their clubs. All the surviving VFA/VFL clubs have great and interesting and reasonably available histories to read about. The clubs are more or less all genuinely strongly connected to their long histories.

I know for a start I will never ever forgive North Melbourne FC, its Captain Noonan, its anonymous and criminal boot studder, whose love of a sharply filed 9 inch nail was well known, the Victorian Football Association, its Sectretary at the time Mr T.J.Evans, umpire Allen, West Melbourne VFA Delegate Mr Harris, and the reactionary backwards group of delegates from all the other clubs and last but by no means whatsoever least, the deplorable Williamstown Accountant whose disgraceful accounting amounted to nothing short of a slander against the noble Richmond Football Club, for their collective parts in the fiasco surrounding the forfeited 1904 VFA Grand Final.

Probably the most interesting thing about all of that is that the Association at the urging of clowns like Mr Harris the West Melbourne delegate decided that it was too great to be lobbied by one mere football club, forcing the admirably principled Tigers into a regrettable forfeit of that year’s playoff match. The Tigers got out and joined the VFL and it is well known from there the VFL gained legitimacy as a result and never looked back. Well Victorian Football Association, wind the clock forward 116 years and the club you would not give a fair hearing for fear of being seen to be accepting the club was greater than the Association is the biggest sporting club in the country, and you are D.E.F.U.N.K.T. Cop that Mr Harris the West Melbourne delegate et al, pack of campaigners.

Of course I don’t normally like to hold a grudge, but this is different. 😂😂

Last edited:
Ok, excluding those forgettable premierships and individual awards that no-one who follows football care about, Dusty will still be remembered for his haircut and neck tatts.

You mention Buddy will be remembered though...what attributes will he be remembered for?
Ask Hooker!

He basically wanted to move to a non-AFL state to get out of the spotlight and he picked the team he thought was most likely to win a flag, but considering the Swans competition was GWS, Brisbane and Gold Coast who were all beyond terrible back in 2013 it isn't surprising he picked Sydney. His main reason for leaving though was he didn't like the spotlight.
$$$$$$$$$$

um they always doo... let us do beudwisier.. and let os scram.. and digging.. in..
we should not let the budmeister be a worldly embpahis...
got nothing else....
Is this English? Any Hawks posters help with an interpretation?

Why will Buddy be talked about in a century? Part of 2 flags, so was Shannon Byrnes. Couldn't kick on his opposite side, not very good overhead, didn't kick a 1,000 goals.

On the other hand, it will either be the only player to win 3 Norm Smith Medals or the first player to win 3 Norm Smith Medals and the greatest finals player we've seen or the greatest finals player in the first 150 years of the competition.
Dude, Buddy was a beast. If he stayed at Hawthorn he might be a 5 time premiership player, last player to kick 100 goals and be in the pantheon of greatness. Probably jags a norm in there too. Been put with injury and people forget...

you do realise Martin is an actual record holder and will probably go down as the greatest grand final performer ever.

Buddy has no records. What exactly will he be remembered for? Tony Lockett will hold more longevity than Franklin for this reason.
In a different era when scoring was easier. Buddy will go down as an all time great. If nothing else the last player to kick 100 in a season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back