Martin going to the Swans?

Remove this Banner Ad

Actually the further back you go the less premierships matter. I know of Bob Pratt from the 30's because he was one of the best players of his era (easier for a forward as they tend to get remembered more) but I have no idea how many premierships he won.

I don't think history (and I am talkng about 50 or more years into the past) really cares about how many premierships a player wins.
On the contrary, what individual awards did Dermot Brereton win?

Will always be remembered primarily as a 5-time premiership player.

Houli has done a power of work at Richmond, and TBO he has been a miracle find.
What was more amazing than the 2017 GF performance was his 2020 GF, the reason why he is battling with his calf right now is because he had to play the 2020 GF with a very bad calf injury that he had pre-game, we would've struggled not having both Vlaustin and Houli so Houli had to play.
I agree, Sydney should chase Houli instead.

On the contrary, what individual awards did Dermot Brereton win?

Will always be remembered primarily as a 5-time premiership player.
He won the awards given by his team mates behind closed doors, he did s**t no one ever even thought about doing, if i ever had to go to war i'd want him by my side.

What a lot of you are forgetting is a huge part of the picture.......
unique hair ..check.
unique tats ..check.
he is an enigma..check.
unique Character/persona...check
and a highlights real that’s aguably the best in the comp...Check.
then add his no bullshit achievements and you have a player for the ages and beyond.

Actually the further back you go the less premierships matter. I know of Bob Pratt from the 30's because he was one of the best players of his era (easier for a forward as they tend to get remembered more) but I have no idea how many premierships he won. In fact every player I know of before WW2 (which admittedly is not a lot) I only know of because of who they were as players, not based on what team they played for or how many premierships they got.

I don't think history (and I am talkng about 50 or more years into the past) really cares about how many premierships a player wins.

Bob Pratt has got the goal kicking record. Dusty the Norm Smith record
Buddy ?

All true. And Dusty 100% earned 2019, and 2020 pretty much won the game on his own. Geelong simply couldnt touch him from late in the 2nd until the end of the game. He did everything Danger is supposed to be able to do. But didnt.

But 2017, Houli to me was just so strong all day. And the difference between him and JJ in 2016 was enormous. They had similar ball but JJ hacked it out of defence over and over, but Houli was just so clean. I have no idea how many goals he set up, but it felt like he was involved in nearly all of them.

Houli had a good game but people talk about Martin’s game like he just showed up and they gave him the medal. He had 22 contested possessions, equal most (with Simon Black) in a grand final since that record was kept. Had more than double the amount of score involvements than Houli too.

I rated Martins game higher, but if someone said Houli’s game was better I wouldn’t begrudge them. It was a close call. Hell, if the game wasn’t such a blowout in the second half Alex Rance would’ve been a good sniff.

Houli had a good game but people talk about Martin’s game like he just showed up and they gave him the medal. He had 22 contested possessions, equal most (with Simon Black) in a grand final since that record was kept. Had more than double the amount of score involvements than Houli too.

I rated Martins game higher, but if someone said Houli’s game was better I wouldn’t begrudge them. It was a close call. Hell, if the game wasn’t such a blowout in the second half Alex Rance would’ve been a good sniff.

Its not just the total stats. Its when the stats happened. Martin had an enormous final quarter after the game was already done and dusted.

Cyril had less stats in 2015 than many. But his 1st quarter was phenomenal and had the game well on the way to being done. It didnt matter that he was quiet in the 4th. West Coast were well and truly finished.

I'd be very surprised to see Martin at the Swans (or even GWS) but if he does want to live in relative anonymity
in a big city then this is the place. It's not just AFL players who go mostly unnoticed. If James Tedesco or Daly Cherry-
Evans walked down the Pitt St Mall at lunch time, no one would say a thing to them. You'd think either Sydney team
would be happy to see Martin running around in their colours.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its not just the total stats. Its when the stats happened. Martin had an enormous final quarter after the game was already done and dusted.

Cyril had less stats in 2015 than many. But his 1st quarter was phenomenal and had the game well on the way to being done. It didnt matter that he was quiet in the 4th. West Coast were well and truly finished.

Martin didn't just have an enormous final quarter, he had an enormous game. Both he and Houli were brilliant throughout and both players were awarded the same number of B&F votes by Richmond coaches for the game.
Martin had 29 disposals / 22 contested possessions compared to Houli's 25 disposals / 6 contested, 2 goal assists compared to 0,
9 score involvements compared to 4. Those differences didn't just occur in the last quarter.

Martin was coming off an outstanding year having just won the Brownlow, and Houli was not considered by the general public to be at the same level in regards to playing ability. So the expectations and pressure on the two men were vastly different, just as everyone expected Martin to at least play well, many people were surprised at how well Houli played. Because people "expected" Martin to play well it does not diminish that he actually did play extremely well regardless of how well Houli played. They play different positions and the final outcome of the norm smith votes was simply in the eye of the beholder (voters) and could have gone to a number of Richmond players without too much public outcry. The fact it went to Martin and he then became the first player to ever win a Brownlow, Premiership, & Norm Smith Medal all in the one fairytale season does not negate Houli's game, it celebrates the strength of the team.

Many Richmond fans who initially thought Houli was BOG changed their minds after re-watching the game and were able to see up close the contested and creative game played by Martin. I'm guessing unless you're a PA fan not too many non Richmond fans would bother with a re-watch. :D

Serious question. If Melbourne took Martin at either pick 1 or 2 would he have been the same player he is at Richmond. Forget the premierships & norm smiths as they're not comparable as there was no guarantee even if Melb had him they would of made a GF. Can make a case for season 2018 but difficult any other year.
Purely on player talent.

Serious question. If Melbourne took Martin at either pick 1 or 2 would he have been the same player he is at Richmond. Forget the premierships & norm smiths as they're not comparable as there was no guarantee even if Melb had him they would of made a GF. Can make a case for season 2018 but difficult any other year.
Purely on player talent.

Yes.

In his development years both Melbourne and Richmond were as rubbish as each other. One kicked on, the other didnt.

Melbourne not taking him at 1 or 2, and considering who they did take, in my opinion is the worst piece of drafting since the introduction of the draft.

Purely on player talent.

He would have been similar to how he was 5 or 6 years ago when he was running around with chopsticks and no teams wanted him.

Melbourne hasnt had a Hardwick so I dont imagine anyone would have worked with him to turn his attitude around and turn him in to the brilliant footballer he clearly could be.

Yes.

In his development years both Melbourne and Richmond were as rubbish as each other. One kicked on, the other didnt.

Melbourne not taking him at 1 or 2, and considering who they did take, in my opinion is the worst piece of drafting since the introduction of the draft.
Yeah good point both teams were putrid then.
Can make a case for the 2004 draft with Richmond taking Tambling over you know who as one of the worst aswell.

In a century from now people will still be talking about Buddy, while Martin will have long since been forgotten about.
Absolute tosh - they are both amazing footballers its been a privilege to watch (as well as being a pain in the arse a coupla times a year)

Purely on player talent.

On talent development, perhaps, but it's well established that Dusty is a unique character and he skirted with the edges of acceptable behavior a few times, and while it's impossible to say how other clubs would have handled him, I doubt many would have done better than Richmond.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back