Martin v Shuey v Hartlett v Ziebell (version 2.0)

Who is better?

• Dustin Martin

Votes: 197 65.9%
  • Luke Shuey

Votes: 53 17.7%
  • Hamish Hartlett

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Jack Ziebell

Votes: 36 12.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Why did you lose to Carlton?

overrated football side that can lose to virtually any team in the competition but having said that, Carlton need to be commended for playing some brilliant football the last 5 or so weeks. Predictions of a bottom three finish by majority of the footballing public were well off.

Now back to Luke Shuey, went missing in a must win game again. I have nothing against him. I just don't see what the fuss is about.
This is his 7th season, he is 26 years of age. He has yet to stamp his authority on the game like other players his age. There really should be no excuses for playing satisfactory games right now. Needs to put the foot down and start dominating like a top 3 player at your club.

overrated football side that can lose to virtually any team in the competition but having said that, Carlton need to be commended for playing some brilliant football the last 5 or so weeks. Predictions of a bottom three finish by majority of the footballing public were well off.

Now back to Luke Shuey, went missing in a must win game again. I have nothing against him. I just don't see what the fuss is about.
This is his 7th season, he is 26 years of age. He has yet to stamp his authority on the game like other players his age. There really should be no excuses for playing satisfactory games right now. Needs to put the foot down and start dominating like a top 3 player at your club.
I asked that because every player and team can have off days, Whats all the fuss about you ask? People get excited by Shuey because he is an explosive inside/outside elite mid who kicks goals and sends lasers off either side at pace. Only thing that has stopped him becoming a top 5 mid of the comp is consistency which over the last few years has been due to him being heavily tagged and him not being able to break the tag regularly, last year he took big steps in this area and had a great year. He has stepped up his leadership and is also having a pretty good 2016 so far but has another level to go to.

Looks like the player who would relish it, but doesnt diminish him if it doesnt. Plenty of great players arent leaders.
Started like a house on fire but faded badly towards the end. Jury is still out on this one.

Shuey 1 vote ahead of Martin in the coaches award, with both in the top 5.
They are within 10 of the leader Sloane, so interestingly enough theres plenty of time and one of them might actually win it.
Is the total leader board located somewhere? They have the top 10 only normally, but as of last round Ziebell was on 41, so Martin and Shuey putting some space on him now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Weren't you the same guy last year who used The AFLCA MVP as your sole argument as to why Ziebell is better than Shuey?

Changed your mind yet?

Not really. It was never my sole argument. It was just one of many arguments. What's the telle by the way? The think with coaches votes is a BOG performance gives a player 8-10 votes, they can catch up easily.

I like to look at what impact a player has on his teammates, like making those around them play better. While everyone in here likes to judge footballers almost exclusively on DE, I like to look at that, meters gained, score involvements, clearances, goals inside 50's. You know the simple stuff.

For example, last week Rockliff had 30 disposals with a very high DE but he only gained around 80 meters.

Shuey and Martain leaving Ziebell and Hartlett behind now. Getting to the point where thread should be Shuey vs Martain and Ziebell vs Hartlett

No. Martin is on another level compared to the others, Shueys right there with Ziebell.

Edit: Ziebell averages more goals, more inside 50's, more rebound 50's, more meters gained-(even though he averages 2 less disposals), more 1%ers, more marks inside 50 and more SuperCoach points.

They both have about the same contested possessions, Ziebell with slightly more. Shuey averages more Unc possessions (2 more). Tackles are about even, Shuey slightly ahead.

But no, please tell me how Ziebell doesn't belong in the poll.

Inb4 DE

Last edited:
No. Martin is on another level compared to the others, Shueys right there with Ziebell.

Edit: Ziebell averages more goals, more inside 50's, more rebound 50's, more meters gained-(even though he averages 2 less disposals), more 1%ers, more marks inside 50 and more SuperCoach points.

They both have about the same contested possessions, Ziebell with slightly more. Shuey averages more Unc possessions (2 more). Tackles are about even, Shuey slightly ahead.

But no, please tell me how Ziebell doesn't belong in the poll.

Inb4 DE
No Shuey and Martin neck and neck this season sitting 4th and 5th in the coaches votes, Ziebell stated ok but is now a distant 3rd with Hartlett still on the bench.
Nice cherry picking stats what about clearances? Not important to you? Score involvements? More meters gained but half are out of bounds on the full or turn overs or 50/50 balls, where Shuey and Martin deliver dangerous passes to their team mates instead of bombing it on their boot to try and gain max distance

Do West Coast supporters actually think Shuey is a better player than Martin?

To be fair, the only players/ teams that get any coverage over there are from WC or Freo.

The papers are probably still giving them a chance at a flag

No Shuey and Martin neck and neck this season sitting 4th and 5th in the coaches votes, Ziebell stated ok but is now a distant 3rd with Hartlett still on the bench.
Nice cherry picking stats what about clearances? Not important to you? Score involvements? More meters gained but half are out of bounds on the full or turn overs or 50/50 balls, where Shuey and Martin deliver dangerous passes to their team mates instead of bombing it on their boot to try and gain max distance

Both Ziebell and Shuey average 3.7 clangers a game

Back