Marty Clarke as a small forward

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 3, 2002
In a good place
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
NBA Winning Machines/Dallas Cowboys
I'm surprised that Marty has been pigeon-holed to the half back-line since returning to the club.I guess the club just saw him as a automatic replacement for leon.

However with his agility and footskills I would think that he has the tools to be a great crumbing forward and also with his speed be able to present as a small leading forward.

We have rotated a few people through the forward line like Blair, Steele, Sinclair.... Elliot could be a long -term option but far to early to tell. why not Marty?

Now that Maxwell and Johnson have returned to strengthen run off the backline, what do you think of having Marty serving time up forward?

Is far too one sided and straight line to be a forward.

Much like Harry and sack he needs to play to unfold in front of him otherwise he gets lost. If we play him as a forward he'll end up a liability and space filler

Not exactly the speedy type. I see him as a methodical player and very smart with the ball at the moment though he doesn't have the creativity needed to be a full time small forward. He could rotate there for 20-30% of the game, but long term he isn't an option.

Wouldn't have him there full time. He does his role off of half back and the wing, he's suited to be the player bring the ball forward rather than the one to receive it.

Personally woudnt be opposed to having Tooves try out as a forward, once our backline is full strength. Remember his debut game when he kicked 3? this would just allow someone like Nathan Brown to play back, along with Taz and Reid.

Toovey forward?? Please god no! He's our best small defender, and after seeing Harry get mopped up by Rioli and Betts, Toovey should no way be going up forward!

I wouldn't mind Clarke at HFF and providing the I50.

Toovey forward?? Please god no! He's our best small defender, and after seeing Harry get mopped up by Rioli and Betts, Toovey should no way be going up forward!

I wouldn't mind Clarke at HFF and providing the I50.

Provided one of the best deliveries to Cloke on Saturday, so I rate this idea. Wonderful left boot, and has got some agility.

Provided one of the best deliveries to Cloke on Saturday, so I rate this idea. Wonderful left boot, and has got some agility.

+1. One of our best kickers, if we can get our backline in check, Shaw, Reid, Tarrant & Brown back in. Then i wouldn't mind seeing Clarke & either Tarrant/Brown move into the forward line assuming Keeffe stays solid.

Clarke is quite slow for his size.

Anyone see Dawesy out run him when chasing after Garlett against the Blues? Doesn't have the crumbing skills either as he is more of a receiving player.

Don't like the idea at all.

Hmmm, i activate my fusion spell to fuse Marty Clarke with Caolan Mooney... To create... The irish masterpiece!

And i end my turn... :confused:

Is far too one sided and straight line to be a forward.

Much like Harry and sack he needs to play to unfold in front of him otherwise he gets lost. If we play him as a forward he'll end up a liability and space filler

Clarke is quite slow for his size.

Anyone see Dawesy out run him when chasing after Garlett against the Blues? Doesn't have the crumbing skills either as he is more of a receiving player.

Don't like the idea at all.
These 2 posts sum it up perfectly.

I was actually really impressed with Wellinghams effort up forward. He has shown he is really dangerous around goals when there is a stoppage, a great clearance player and snap at goal. He is also a great lead, leap and mark so is dangerous in the air.

In terms of our forward structure going forward i'd love to see how we go with Tarrant at FF (Keeffe retains his position in defense) with Dawes switching between HFF and Ruck and Wellingham more time as a small forward. I think it would really change the dynamic of our forward line and create a few more options and give the opposition a few more headaches in terms of match ups. Just a thought anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Best suited to half back or wing. Spreads as good as anyone in the team so playing the linkman between defence and forward 50 very important.

Clarke doesn't have the speed marking ability, or skills (dual-sidedness or 'tricks') to play as a deep small forward, but I don't mind the idea of him as a high half forward / wingman (which is where I have been suggesting he plays). Here he can use his fitness and reasonable foot passing skills to maximum effect.

I liked the look of Fasolo coming off half-back a couple of times on the weekend, adding spark and drive. Switch Clarke and Fasolo around at times over the next few games-I don't think it would be such a bad thing. You could say Reid and now Keefe were pigeonholed too early on in their careers; it's worth trying different heaps of different options at this stage of the year and considering we are missing a third of our best 22. What have we got to lose?

I was actually really impressed with Wellinghams effort up forward. He has shown he is really dangerous around goals when there is a stoppage, a great clearance player and snap at goal. He is also a great lead, leap and mark so is dangerous in the air.

In terms of our forward structure going forward i'd love to see how we go with Tarrant at FF (Keeffe retains his position in defense) with Dawes switching between HFF and Ruck and Wellingham more time as a small forward. I think it would really change the dynamic of our forward line and create a few more options and give the opposition a few more headaches in terms of match ups. Just a thought anyway.
One of Wellers strengths is being able to hit the ruck contest at pace in the forward 50, if he can get his inside 50 kicking more accurate he'll be a real weapon up forward.

Would love to see this. If he could mark inside 50 with his kicking ability he could really get us a few goals on the board. On a side note really looking forward to my first Anzac day at the g. Beats the 4 am that bennymac1 will be getting up to see our beloved pies.:D

Would love to see this. If he could mark inside 50 with his kicking ability he could really get us a few goals on the board. On a side note really looking forward to my first Anzac day at the g. Beats the 4 am that bennymac1 will be getting up to see our beloved pies.:D

really rubbing my nose in it irishpie, hope you have a major hangover watching the game :D really lookin forward to the game, even the early start for me would'nt put a downer on things, a good strong cup of coffee works wonders, only thing is tryin to keep the noise down so i dont waken the house could prove a major problem.

as for martin playing up front someday its a possiblity, smart player and usallly makes the right disissions on the ball, would probs take him a while to settle up there ie crumbs and breaks ect but with a great kick anywhere inside 50 i would a 6 pointer, but hes steadly improving where he is so until then, as we say in ireland, let the hare sit, good luck tomorrow

Did the job today, I was very impressed. One thing you won't do is wear him out, his endurance is elite. Did we just find a new role for Clarkey?

By the way, surely we need a good nickname for him by now. Does he have one from home?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back