Martyn and Miller in

• Thread starter Guest
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

Remove this Banner Ad

G

No great surprise but the bowling does look a lot weaker with Bichel as the third seamer and Magill the only spinner.

I don't think Miller will play because the Adelaide wicket looks a little bit greener than it has been in the past and it would be asking too much of McGrath and Gillespie to carry the entire pace load on the first two days.

In hindsight it may have been a good idea to select Blewett instead of Bichel or Martyn as the third seamer and play both spinners. It'll be interesting to see who carries the drinks but it almost has to be Miller. If the match goes into four or five days they may regret the selection.

[This message has been edited by Spogs (edited 11 December 2000).]

I agree, Bichel deserves another go. Also I am not sure what type of form Miller is in at the moment. I haven't heard much which is not a great sign. If Warne was fit, would they play both Warne and MacGill in this match? That possibility is normally reserved for the SCG test match.

I think this will be the best test yet!!

Australia have picked a much weaker/less experince side than they have had for a very long time. And with Lara finding some from, it could be quite a match! Puts more pressure on Gilly though, first captancy game and it's a lot tougher than it has been for the Aussies!

------------------
Un'B.Lee'vable

No way - Lara made runs practically batting on concrete - wait till he faces the music again. I must say though, hes due for (Test) runs. Blewett? The less said the better. I'm a big fan of his, but purely as a seamer - no way. Hes got about as much chance of getting in the test team as I have at the moment. Miller WILL play. Off-spinner, majority of lefties in their line-up, plus he can also bowl seamers on the first couple of days. Too many options. Miller for mine.

Denno,

i wouldn't pick Blewett just for his bowling but if he was selected instead of say Martyn then you wouldn't lose much in the batting and it would allow them to play the two spinners, two quicks and Blewett as the third seamer. As it is, whatever way they go they will get caught out particularly if they play Bichel and the test goes four or five days.

Miller is only just rolling his arm over when he bowls his seamers these days and isn't a serious threat to world class batsmen.

Hang on people - give Blewitt a go !

Blewitts bowling is classical "Batsman who can bowl a bit" type stuff. Its looks soft and fluffy enough but is actually very effective - especially in breaking up partnerships.

The team will need the bowling of somebody like Blewitt (Ponting can also do this a bit too) ie a batsman who is good enough as bowler to provide a bit of variety, a change of pace and length and to break up the batsman's concentration.

Blewitt continues the great Australian tradition of having a bowling batsman who is called on mainly to break up a partnership. Think of the bowling of Doug Walters, Greg Chappell and Steve Waugh and you can see what I am getting at.

Blewitt has done this before and on the Adelaide Oval too !

Its usually a batsmans paradise, so the more variety you can get into the attack the better your chances of bowling out the opponent.

Blewitt will be selected for his ability to break up partnerships and surprise Windies batsmen.

cheers

Blewett is goneski, he has been passed by the following players:
Martyn,
katich
love
maher
hodge
cox

Blewett unfortunately will never play for ausstralia again
mmmmmmmmkayyyyyyyyy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back