Movie Marvel Cinematic Universe - News, updates and discussion

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Coney Island Warriors
I am also as guilty as anyone with the over speculation but wandavision deliberately laid a ton of breadcrumbs and then did nothing with them, the Dottie plotline and scenes are one of many examples, there was no speculation until they had the scene with her, that’s purely writing that had no conclusion.

I've seen a few people mention Dottie as a red herring but I could never work out why. She was part of a plot device for one "in show" episode (the classic sitcom "rival bitch" housewife) but never seemed to have any impact, more than any other townsperson, on the series itself. Is it because the actress is recognisable from Buffy?

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
I've seen a few people mention Dottie as a red herring but I could never work out why. She was part of a plot device for one "in show" episode (the classic sitcom "rival b*tch" housewife) but never seemed to have any impact, more than any other townsperson, on the series itself. Is it because the actress is recognisable from Buffy?
No, granted it was one episode but she was pretty central, numerous references in that ep to her being “the centre if everything” her weird break and the color of her blood.

She had more direct screentime than just about any other non main character and all those elements made her central, plus, the single episode story your discussing was never resolved.

For the record I never watched Buffy, so her importance meant nothing to me.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
But raising it and then not answering it is a tad odd - reminded me of The Rise Of Skywalker where Finn said a few times he wants to tell Rey something, but then never does. It just seems.....odd. Hardly a dealbreaker, but at the same time I think it’s a valid question to raise in the wash up.
TROS example is far worse, it was a statement thrown up outright in the film and then never answered. Something like Woo's missing person, people assumed that mattered, but he's an FBI agent, it was clearly just the plot device that got him to Westview. It could have been something else.

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
No, granted it was one episode but she was pretty central, numerous references in that ep to her being “the centre if everything” her weird break and the color of her blood.

She had more direct screentime than just about any other non main character and all those elements made her central, plus, the single episode story your discussing was never resolved.

For the record I never watched Buffy, so her importance meant nothing to me.

I see your point there, I guess I never saw her as anything more as the sitcom trope she was for that particular show. Her "breaks" also didn't stand out as being anything different as Deborah Jo Rupp's in the first episode - "Stop it. STOP IT"... there was already a trend of townspeople "breaking" to indicate the greater cast weren't figments of Wanda's magic.

Jul 11, 2005
On the Road to A.G
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong
The only part of WandaVision I hated was the reveal of Bohner, because with the multiverse of madness movie incoming it would have been an interesting twist that Agatha could pull in the image of her brother from another universe and convince her that its him.

As a massive Marvel fan who went in blind as possible with this, that was honestly my only disappointment. I actually really quite liked WV and the explanation for how Wanda is the Scarlett Witch, instead of it just being a hero name.

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
TROS example is far worse, it was a statement thrown up outright in the film and then never answered. Something like Woo's missing person, people assumed that mattered, but he's an FBI agent, it was clearly just the plot device that got him to Westview. It could have been something else.
Then why have it at all, it wasn’t the only one either. There were multiple.

I get your (and many’s) point but it’s at best a bit lazy.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Then why have it at all, it wasn’t the only one either. There were multiple.

I get your (and many’s) point but it’s at best a bit lazy.
And if he had said he was there on a drug bust, would you have been disappointed that we never found out about the drug bust? I'm only commenting on Woo, but there needed to be a storyline reason for him to be at Westview, missing person was it. I don't think it hinted at anything, I didn't realise it was an issue until I came into this thread.

I deliberately watched it late, watched most of it close together without a week in between to speculate, and as a result I don't think I saw most of the 'hanging threads' people say were there. I was watching it as a Wanda story, just something between Endgame and Dr Strange 2.

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal, New York Yankees

I never suggested the examples were as bad as each, was merely drawing a likeness. Yes the TROS example is far worse and it doesn’t even have the excuse or mitigating factor of scenes/footage not being able to be completed due to a pandemic. That was just taking the piss in terms of editing, like many things in that film I guess.

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
And if he had said he was there on a drug bust, would you have been disappointed that we never found out about the drug bust? I'm only commenting on Woo, but there needed to be a storyline reason for him to be at Westview, missing person was it. I don't think it hinted at anything, I didn't realise it was an issue until I came into this thread.

I deliberately watched it late, watched most of it close together without a week in between to speculate, and as a result I don't think I saw most of the 'hanging threads' people say were there. I was watching it as a Wanda story, just something between Endgame and Dr Strange 2.
Honestly the Woo one didn’t bother me and if it was on its own I wouldn’t have even noticed it but it wasn’t in isolation. The Dottie one was the bad one for me but the Woo one and a bunch of others are there.

Jul 11, 2005
On the Road to A.G
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong
I love Kathryn Hahn.
1615541800979.png

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
This morning’s Phase Zero podcast is well worth a listen, Shakman walks through many of the key moments and decisions of the series.

Nothing majorly spoilerish but I’ll use tags just incase.

Interestingly enough a scene was cut revealing who Mr Scratch is, I straight away assumed it was Nicholas Scratch but it’s actually Agatha’s cat (Ebony if I remember correctly).

And the missing person is actually a thing. But to be explained at another time/movie/show. He basically said “yes it’s someone....hang in there”. So there you go.

This morning’s Phase Zero podcast is well worth a listen, Shakman walks through many of the key moments and decisions of the series.

Interestingly enough a scene was cut revealing who Mr Scratch is, I straight away assumed it was Nicholas Scratch but it’s actually Agatha’s cat (Ebony if I remember correctly).

And the missing person is actually a thing. But to be explained at another time/movie/show. He basically said “yes it’s someone....hang in there”. So there you go.
Cheers for the reminder to have a listen. Since WV is finished I forgot about the podcast.

Jul 11, 2005
On the Road to A.G
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong

Suits me, I assumed they were a plot device but if its actually someone more important than that I am happy.

Mara Singha

Cancelled
Mar 12, 2021
AFL Club
Fremantle
Should do a show about Earth emigrants. From memory 2012 is when alien life became public knowledge (The Avengers) but everyone seemingly still lives on Earth 12 years later (Spider-Man: Far From Home).

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Suits me, I assumed they were a plot device but if its actually someone more important than that I am happy.

From the way he said “hang in there”, I got the vibe he wanted it resolved but couldn’t get it done (either due to editing restrictions or maybe the decision was made for him to hold it back for another time).

It’s definitely a thing. Guess we’ll just have to wait and see.

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
From the way he said “hang in there”, I got the vibe he wanted it resolved but couldn’t get it done (either due to editing restrictions or maybe the decision was made for him to hold it back for another time).

It’s definitely a thing. Guess we’ll just have to wait and see.

There’s no way that guys real name is Ralph Bohner. Even he laughed at it ;)

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
He confirmed it I thought, he said something like “yes unfortunately that’s his name” right?

Can't say I saw that... Marvel are pretty good at keeping loose ends just in case. Wouldn't be surprised if he's never seen again but that he never appeared after the "please don't hurt me" scene or whatever it was was really weird to me.

Back