Marvel stadium in a few words

Remove this Banner Ad

RoarLike44In24

Senior List
Apr 27, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Its a perfectly fine stadium. Great access.

No elitist bullshit like the MCG. Would see the MCG bulldozed long before Docklands/Telstra/Colonial/Etihad/Marvel whatever.

Mar 28, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Miami Heat
Supporters of MCG clubs just aren’t used to it. They’ve got their routines for the G, it’s familiar and easy. Then they have one or two games a year at Docklands and many probably just think it’s easier to stay home. With ubiquitous live coverage these days and the expense of going to the footy (transport / drinks / food), you don’t need any great excuse to sit it out for a week and relax on the couch.

Consider too, footy is a bit different in Melbourne. It’s not as though you only have 11 games, you can generally see your club at least 16 times live if you want. People pick and choose a bit more.

The other thing is access. The majority of Melbourne’s population is in the east and every train line funnels through Jolimont or Richmond, which are both at the MCG. Docklands is a few stops further, and on the loop which can sometimes mean a change of trains. And getting home is a bit of a pain in the arse, at the G you jump on your line and you’re out of there. At Docklands you sometimes need to get one train to Flinders St then change.

For those who drive, parking is cheaper and far more plentiful in and around the G compared to Docklands.

Some also to make a day / night of it, the G is close to countless food and pub options. Docklands, not so much. It’s down the arse-end of the city and poorly located.

Small things, but when you’ve got plenty of games throughout the year you can go to, that’s all it takes. Footy in Melbourne is very much a consumer’s market.

Just for my Bendigo/Geelong/Ballarat/Gippsland folk here, Docklands is easier to get to for us. It's the complete opposite in terms of access. Arrive into Spencer St in our V-line and Docklands is right there. At least for Bendigo travellers, the MCG requires touching the MYKI off and then on to get on another train or a tram to get to the ground. If we want to get straight to the G we have to drive hours, sit in city traffic and sit in a line trying to get into a multi-storey or Yarra Park. Docklands, take the train and you're there.

Just for my Bendigo/Geelong/Ballarat/Gippsland folk here, Docklands is easier to get to for us. It's the complete opposite in terms of access. Arrive into Spencer St in our V-line and Docklands is right there. At least for Bendigo travellers, the MCG requires touching the MYKI off and then on to get on another train or a tram to get to the ground. If we want to get straight to the G we have to drive hours, sit in city traffic and sit in a line trying to get into a multi-storey or Yarra Park. Docklands, take the train and you're there.

Yep, that's right. Coming from Geelong either by car or by train it's far easier to get to Marvel than it is to the MCG, which is one of the reason why I wish we played our Melbourne home games at Marvel rather than the MCG

Yep, that's right. Coming from Geelong either by car or by train it's far easier to get to Marvel than it is to the MCG, which is one of the reason why I wish we played our Melbourne home games at Marvel rather than the MCG

And it's also one of the reasons I decided to become a Renegades member: it's very easy to get to the matches from Geelong compared to the Stars matches at the 'G

Jan 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Poor design, you have to walk around and around up those long sloping passageways and the stadium has good access on three sides, all of which lead nowhere. The one way in and out towards Southern Cross is a huge bottleneck.

Food is rubbish even by stadium standards, staff are unfriendly and the atmosphere is poor, unless it is an Essendon game. It does suffer from being in the same city as the MCG, it isn't a bad stadium it is just that there is a better one just down the road.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Bogotá *

Fridge.

* It’s a cold place; and Bogotá in Colombia is known as the Fridge. As it can get cold there.

Imnotdeadyet

Debutant
Oct 27, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
Collingwood lose a game there and this thread appears.
The ground has its flaws but it’s fine.

I’ll ask West Coast supporters, as a fair few were present and did the double following their win over the Hawks earlier in the day. What did you prefer?
Just enjoying a footy fuelled weekend?
I’d find it hard to watch a non north game for mine.
Could make out the players all over the ground, unlike the G. With the 2nd and 3rd tiers at the MCG starting so far back you're a long way away.
Nothing better than MCG on a Friday night for atmosphere, but have always loved going to Docklands.
On a side note, it pales a little with its age against Perth Stadium now. Perth is concrete bowl central and bloody expensive in comparison, but the fan experience and comfort is much better than both.

Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
Agree that for all train lines in the north/west (both V line and metro) Docklands is easier to get to.
But I’m pretty sure V Lines from Gippsland stop at Richmond so the G isn’t a hassle to get to.

Speaking of Waverley, I never had the chance to go there for an AFL game, but when compared to Marvel, which one was/is better for watching the footy? And why? I've heard bad things about Waverley but is it justified? And compared to its replacement, how does it stack up?

Sep 11, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Speaking of Waverley, I never had the chance to go there for an AFL game, but when compared to Marvel, which one was/is better for watching the footy? And why? I've heard bad things about Waverley but is it justified? And compared to its replacement, how does it stack up?
Marvel way better. Waverley hard to get to, was enormous in dimensions and the terraces/stands were set way back meaning you were miles from the play. The only people that preferred it were those that lived near by.

raymond35

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood vfl

Waverley was magnificent. You could sit anywhere you wanted. Junk food and real beer was plentiful.
Yes, it was a nightmare to get out of after a big game, but it crapped all over Marvel.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back