Marvel stadium in a few words

Remove this Banner Ad

Speaking of Waverley, I never had the chance to go there for an AFL game, but when compared to Marvel, which one was/is better for watching the footy? And why? I've heard bad things about Waverley but is it justified? And compared to its replacement, how does it stack up?
Marvel better for the supporter in every facet. Waverley a really big ground that promoted good footy and excellent as a TV game, but hard to get to back then (no train line) and trying to get out of the car park took forever. Seating wise, you were much further away at Waverley and just as a facility, it was a much poorer experience.

Where I live currently it would be ideal to go to Waverley and now, if you had a train line there it wouldn’t be all that bad a spot given the growth in the south-east, but back then it was just hard to access and only more convenient for your country supporters in Gippsland.

What is it at the Docklands that Melbourne people don't like? As a visitor once or twice a season I love going to the Docklands to watch footy, it's a great viewing ground and thats kinda all I am looking for as a spectator.
What is it that makes it so unpopular with the locals?
Well your bigger supporter clubs like Richmond and Collingwood all play at the MCG and mostly, your haters derive from your diehards that love it there and make out like it’s some massive inconvenience to go 10 minutes down the road.

There’s nothing quite like a big event at the MCG but generally just to watch the game, Marvel is a far better as a viewing experience.

What Marvel does desperately need though is another bridge connecting it to the city instead of everybody using that one thoroughfare which also doubles as the main entrance to Southern Cross.

Say where Gate 5 is on the wing, have another one go from there over the railway lines would’ve been ideal. Would’ve freed up so much more space around there and people could get on a train easier.

My level 2 seating has one of the best views out of any of the hundred/s of sporting grounds around the world I’ve been to.

Last edited:
Best place to watch sport in Australia.

That's coming from a MCC member.

Waverley,Hutton’s Superdog.

Ordered a chicken wrap and some chips which were very good at Etihad,does not beat a meal at The London Tavern though in Tigerland,Cricketers Arms have upped their game with a dining area and nice food on offer especially the burgers.

Spent most of the first quarter (game vs Bulldogs) looking for three seats together while 1/3 of the stadium was completely empty (reserved for people who don’t show up). Lucky enough to get some seats eventually but there were people still looking for seats heading into the second quarter.

I don’t mind the stadium, you generally get a good view of the game. Train from metropolitan Melbourne is just as easy as MCG but driving to Marvel is far worse than MCG. I generally don’t eat at the footy but food options in the surrounding areas better at the MCG also.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Waverley was magnificent. You could sit anywhere you wanted. Junk food and real beer was plentiful.
Yes, it was a nightmare to get out of after a big game, but it crapped all over Marvel.

Pretty much this. Waverley could hold a big big crowd and was closer and more central for a lot of football goers. So you goto a game there it is just so much easier to actually pick a spot where you want to sit and enjoy the game. No need to worry about ticketmaster or anything except for finals games. But it had things about it far from ideal in design in terms of gradient of stands meant you were actually further from the players. It also was a point of difference of not being in the city so if you found the MCG hard to get to if you live far away, least there was an alternative ground that serviced people from Gippsland, Yarra Valley, Mornington Peninsula etc and just the general massive amount of people that live in Eastern or Southern suburbs. I suspect we lost a lot of families that went to footy regularly because Wayne Jackson decided to kill it off so the the people investing in Docklands could milk people of ticket prices at a smaller venue where you less guaranteed to know you can get in and still get a good seat.

Do not get me wrong though, if there was a blazing wind and rain, Waverley was not fun to be at. Honestly most of us do not care about that discomfort on those times as seeing the football was to see the football. Marvel has not added anything except serviced a few fans in outer western suburbs but lost more than gained. It has ripped people off more, stolen the fun of being out in the elements on a sunny day and cost us a 76,000 capacity ground for one holds 26,000 less. As for viewing at the ground, the option of standing and still seeing the game fully is not possible because design is so s**t you cannot even view the ball go above half post height. It is beyond a joke how many flaws in design it has. The fact natural grass never really can grow properly and has concrete car park underneath is a ******* joke and dangerous for players, when they hit the ground there. The fact they had the direction of goals the wrong way is incredible and shows the focus on it existing was all about money and nothing to do with football. * ,they did not even had a proper coaches box in the design.

Last edited:
Speaking of Waverley, I never had the chance to go there for an AFL game, but when compared to Marvel, which one was/is better for watching the footy? And why? I've heard bad things about Waverley but is it justified? And compared to its replacement, how does it stack up?
Waverley had a great surface. For playing, it was better. Just about all aspects of Marvel for a punter are better, but on the age of the building, so they should. In the VFL’s defence, the train line from Glen Waverley was promised to be extended and include VFL park.

Poor sight lines at Marvel. Level one is too low, level four is too high. I guess it’s all to do with stuffing a stadium the size of AFL under a roof. Plus level one bays are movable and must fit back underneath.
Level 2 - only been once. With Level 1 being so shallow, Level 2 is right on top of the action and not too elevated. Those seats are brilliant, but everywhere else is poor for a stadium built in the 90’s.

Where would you like it instead?

To the south. Maybe around where the Myer office now is.

It’s location has completely destroyed the Docklands area by acting as an enormous barrier between the CBD and the waterfront. The CBD should just continue down to the water.

Not a problem with the stadium itself, more an epic failure of planning.

Some of my fondest memories and greatest attended games happened out at Waverley. One thing I really liked was that it had one (and only one) members area. Beyond that you could get in and walk an entire lap without being stopped when looking for a seat.
It was easy to do that. I can clearly remember getting in and seeing seats on the other side of the ground and you just strolled around no problem. Sight lines beyond the first few rows were great, but the oval was huge & the other side seemed miles away.
A great “peoples ground”. No fences, no reserved seats etc.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back