Marvel Stadium Revamp

Remove this Banner Ad

Triggering Tiger

Premium Platinum
Dec 24, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
Was it really necessary to spend $250 million dollars on a facelift for Marvel Stadium just for the players new changerooms and new entrances for the public plus food and beverage facilities?

It seems like a bit waste of money to me if you don't go the whole hog and build some more seating for the genaral public if that's at all possible with it's current design.

Food and beverage facilities are the Bane of footy people's lives. I encourage the investment for fans to have greater access to better food and beverage facilities.

More options on food and beverage availability and access, will be a positive change for families and other attendees

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, awful moderation

Last edited:
I am staggered if these figures are true. Shocklands has been a disaster for fans and the teams consigned to play there.

At best a few grand on some modern pie warmers for heating the free treats for members of a certain Club to attract them to home games would have sufficed.

Meanwhile the two Sydney teams play in poor stadiums, unfit for purpose. The Bloods are still owed ground development funds from 1980 and have barely had a zack of infrastructure support from the VFL/AFL..

My understanding is that a lot of the revamp at Marvel Stadium is to make it more attractive and more economic as a non-match day venue - eg. restaurants, bars - in the Docklands precinct. So not all of the money is being spent on making the fan experience better at games.

Some of the plans include better public viewing areas from bars and restaurants inside the ground (similar to MCG) but I am not aware of any additional seating being added.

My understanding is that a lot of the revamp at Marvel Stadium is to make it more attractive and more economic as a non-match day venue - eg. restaurants, bars - in the Docklands precinct. So not all of the money is being spent on making the fan experience better at games.

Some of the plans include better public viewing areas from bars and restaurants inside the ground (similar to MCG) but I am not aware of any additional seating being added.
All i'm questioning why not?, if you're going to do an upgrade lets get more bums on seats too.

Because Docklands got a terrible reputation when it first opened, and as usual in footy circles that reputation has stuck for 20 plus years, regardless of whether the person telling you "thats a pretty s**t stadium ay!" has actually been there for 15 years. You only have to look at the "favourite and worst ground to attend the footy and Marvel stadium" thread to see that one major complaint is still that it's 'sterile'. So a facelift might give the drab exterior a bit of a polish of pizazz, even if it ends up all shiny and fake glassy like a yank football stadium, at least it's something.

Was it really necessary to spend $250 million dollars on a facelift for Marvel Stadium just for the players new changerooms and new entrances for the public plus food and beverage facilities?

It seems like a bit waste of money to me if you don't go the whole hog and build some more seating for the genaral public if that's at all possible with it's current design.

Yes, need a whole heap of fat in there for the AFL grifter train, ie relatives and mates of AFL executives.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All i'm questioning why not?, if you're going to do an upgrade lets get more bums on seats too.

Doesn't need it. It's never sold out.

Any game that threatens to be bigger is played at the G.

Just bulldoze the joint and start again.

They actually should but not because of the stadium itself - more because of the appalling position of it. Putting it where it is absolutely destroyed any prospect of the Docklands renewal ever working. The stadium is a giant roadblock that completely separates the city and Docklands and can never be overcome. It's the biggest city planning utensil-up in Melbourne's history.

Capacity outside Docklands on the walkways is an issue though. Have been a few crowd squashes - in the bottleneck part back to Southern Cross - that really sucked.
Yeh it’s bad enough when Bris play there and there’s no crowd, let alone 45+. Surely there’s a spare 3 metre diameter in that walkway to fit another office building and then just get everyone to walk the long way round to the station, the scenic route let’s call it.

Yeh it’s bad enough when Bris play there and there’s no crowd, let alone 45+. Surely there’s a spare 3 metre diameter in that walkway to fit another office building and then just get everyone to walk the long way round to the station, the scenic route let’s call it.

Yep. The main issue I have with the ground is the last 500 metres between getting there and getting to your seat. It's easy to get to, and it's OK when you are in your seat, but the walkways (exterior and interior) to get your seats suck.

The Adele concert. 🤬

Remove this Banner Ad

Back