Marvel Stadium

Meh if fans say nothing, this s**t will only get worse. Maybe Essendon will decide to dress the playing group up as 22 Hannah Mouncey’s to celebrate the transgender community next time?

Now that would be amusing.
Why?

Meh if fans say nothing, this s**t will only get worse. Maybe Essendon will decide to dress the playing group up as 22 Hannah Mouncey’s to celebrate the transgender community next time?

Now that would be amusing.
Remember 30years ago when a player changed their named legally to a cat food company name for a match?

The game didn't combust then, so I doubt having a Marvel Jumper will do anything.

Chill Out and go get yourself a Black Widow Cola and an IronMan Dog with chips

Apr 30, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Bags Superman.

Is this DC or Marvel? I don't really care...

1552448315457.png

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
I'm hardly hysterical, but it is clearly embarrassing.

God, I hate marketing w***ers.
Marketing is old hat. It's sad they dont know it
Are Captain Carlton and Navy Nina Disney endorsed superheroes?

Chris Hemsworth wearing a red white and blue coloured Thor outfit would be cool
Man, you wasted your one wish in life :(

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
Remember 30years ago when a player changed their named legally to a cat food company name for a match?

The game didn't combust then, so I doubt having a Marvel Jumper will do anything.

Chill Out and go get yourself a Black Widow Cola and an IronMan Dog with chips

I just turned 29 and you are making me feel super old because I remember when this happened. I think it was around 1997 or 1998 but despite not being 30 years it's bad enough.

Almost all jumper changes in the past have involved a simple colour change (the yellow Pura Light milk St Kilda jumper, the light blue M&M Carlton jumper, the Orange Mobile Kangaroos jumper etc.)
I don't consider those examples any less tacky, matter of personal taste though.

No-one has ever gone to the extreme of making a lame armour imitation design that looks like pokemon balls.

"The Thor-inspired guernsey was unveiled by Wood at Tuesday night’s jumper presentation and marks the first match at the newly renamed Marvel Stadium."

“Kids see us as superheroes and role models, just as they see the Marvel characters on the big screen, and now we can combine the two through footy, which is a unique and exciting opportunity.”

Marvel have clearly influenced this jumper and it certainly would not have happened if Etihad retained the naming rights. I'm not sure why you're trying to deny any sort of link.
The NRL and BBL were already doing uniforms like this in the past due to promotions with Marvel and DC. That's why I think it would have happened in the AFL eventually too, even if Etihad did retain the naming rights.

But again, the quote you provided in no way suggests the Bulldogs are wearing this against their will just because the AFL signed a contract.

Rich01

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
They called it innovation in the papers...innovation..ffs
Yup.
This ain’t innovation.
It’s about Footscray selling their jumper to a brand for coin.

Should we be more or less outraged than when sponsors logos first appeared on club jumpers? Or Carlton became the M&M blues?

Smart move by the Marvel marketers and a cash grab for the Dogs. Highly unlikely it will impact their brand long term, nor attract new consumers into their brand.

Marvel Stadium ... what a lot of nonsense. I will always think of it as EddiesHead, just as I always think of Geelong's ground as the Cattery or the Litter Box.

Thankfully the MCG and the SCG Trusts have not sold out the names of those two iconic grounds to some capo crew.

Back