Marvels Captain Marvel (2019) - starring Brie Larson as Captain Marvel

Remove this Banner Ad

Captain Marvel is exactly the type of movie the MCU has made a dozen times before. WW is infinitely better. It's more nuanced, better characters, better setting, it packs more emotion, the acting is better...

Gee whiz.

I agree that Captain Marvel is pretty by-the-numbers as far as Marvel goes (so many of its movies are now). They have a style that works.

But WW is nuanced? Is better acted? Packs emotion? It's none of those things, it's a pretty standard superhero movie too, just with a crappier ending.

I agree that Captain Marvel is pretty by-the-numbers as far as Marvel goes (so many of its movies are now). They have a style that works.

But WW is nuanced? Is better acted? Packs emotion? It's none of those things, it's a pretty standard superhero movie too, just with a crappier ending.

I thought the 'fish out of water' aspect was well done, better than CM.
I thought WW showed better character development and emotional investment in her own adventure (maybe this comes back to acting?).
I though the WW1 setting added more weight.
I think the supporting cast and characters are stronger.
I think the humour is done better.
I think it is better acted... because it is?

Which part of the ending is your beef? The final fight?

CM is your usual 3 - 3.5 outta 5 movie.

WW is a firm 4.

I thought the 'fish out of water' aspect was well done, better than CM.
I thought WW showed better character development and emotional investment in her own adventure (maybe this comes back to acting?).
I though the WW1 setting added more weight.
I think the supporting cast and characters are stronger.
I think the humour is done better.
I think it is better acted... because it is?
I agree. WW only negatives was the unnecessary love story and the fight with Ares was really over the top, but overall it was a better movie.

Plus Wonder Woman came first, despite 10 years of Male dominated Superhero stories. It gets points for desperately needed originality.

I may have led you astray with a too cryptic joke. Peaky Blinders is very good though.

giphy.gif

Gal Gadot exudes charisma on screen which in turn makes WW seen a far more empathy driven and virtuous character.

BL brings none of that to CM.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gal Gadot exudes charisma on screen which in turn makes WW seen a far more empathy driven and virtuous character.

BL brings none of that to CM.
Gal Gadot is ******* stunning. But a s**t actress. Brie Larson isn’t quite as hot (that’s relative, mind you) but a much better actress. Neither is excelling in a standard blockbuster movie though.

Gal Gadot is ******* stunning. But a s**t actress. Brie Larson isn’t quite as hot (that’s relative, mind you) but a much better actress. Neither is excelling in a standard blockbuster movie though.

Gal Gadot did a far better job as a comic superhero than Larson did. She took a far more iconic character and owned it.

Larson might be a good actress in other styles of films but in this format she's far from being anything special.

Finally got round to seeing this purely to prep for Endgame. Probably should have just downloaded a dodgy cam version like I first considered lol

I'd have this as easily in the conversation for weakest MCU movie, up there with Thor 1. Just felt horribly flat to me, hardly any of the comedy they usually inject into these things (or maybe the jokes that were there just fell flat for me, dunno). Larson is a good actor but kinda felt like she was sleep walking her way through this. SLJ was good but thought they pushed him a bit far into goofball/comic relief territory. Found it really camp and cheesy - I know MCU movies usually are, but this was another level. The last fight when Just A Girl started playing was pretty cringe I thought.

Thought the way Fury lost his eye was utterly ridiculous. Sure its been mentioned and a small quibble, but if Fury had his galactic pager all along pretty sure he would have used it before now, most notably Avengers 1.

Did mods delete bad reviews of this movie earlier in this thread?

The sentiment is overwhelmingly positive in the first few pages.

Overpowered, uncharismatic and boring lead character. 5-6/10 movie at best (feel I am being pretty generous there).

Reviews like bourbons above seem to make up a decent chunk of the reviews of this movie in most other forums.

Did mods delete bad reviews of this movie earlier in this thread?

The sentiment is overwhelmingly positive in the first few pages.

Overpowered, uncharismatic and boring lead character. 5-6/10 movie at best (feel I am being pretty generous there).

Reviews like bourbons above seem to make up a decent chunk of the reviews of this movie in most other forums.
Yes and the Chinese falsified their box office

The scandal that BF mods can be bought out by Disney

Been roped into seeing Avengers: Endgame on Saturday night for #sociallife so about to watch a cam version of this.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back