Marvels Captain Marvel (2019) - starring Brie Larson as Captain Marvel

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BlakeyNoFlakey

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Geelong
I heard talk of the box office figures being padded for this movie by Marvel buying out theatre screenings to make the numbers look better and give an impression of popularity. I also heard many Marvel fans are pissed off the tesseract was used in this film as it stuffs up the MCU cannon.

Quokka

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Fremantle
I heard talk of the box office figures being padded for this movie by Marvel buying out theatre screenings to make the numbers look better and give an impression of popularity. I also heard many Marvel fans are pissed off the tesseract was used in this film as it stuffs up the MCU cannon.

How does the Tesseract mix up the Cannon?

This is probably not comlplete or even right but afaik...
Left on Earth by the Asgardians (Interested to know if it is ever confirmed that the Asgardians built the container that is the Tesseract?)
Found in Norway, lost in the ocean and finally found by Howard Stark (Captain America: The First Avenger)
Kept as SHIELD was developed until aquired by Mar Vell. Helped spur some of Stark's research but otherwise not much more is learnt.
I think it was always on Mar Vell's satellite and not on the plane that was shot down? It was just being tapped into.
Next we see it is the post credit scene in Thor where Fury recruits Erik Selveg (maybe he thought Selveg's combination of scientific genius, knowledge of Norse mythology, not to mention his recent experiences, made him the perfect person to try and achieve what SHIELD had failed to do, recreate what little they knew of Mar Vell's research into the Tesseract.

If we assume that Mar Vell was able to get herself into a position to requisition the Tesseract to another government project and Captain Marvel takes place only during a period of time where we thought SHIELD had possession of the Tesseract, what mixes up the Cannon?

Last edited:

JackOutback

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
West Coast
I love a good (by good, I mean utterly ridiculous) conspiracy theory.

General Giant

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
GWS
Lol no.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal, New York Yankees
The three MCU films of 2018 alone grossed over $4 billion. At this stage in the game; their products are printing money.

The don’t need to pad their stats at cinemas, the consumers do that for them anyway. Impressive numbers for CM in its first week, should also notch up the billion mark after this kind of opening.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bostonian

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Carlton
The don’t need to pad their stats at cinemas, the consumers do that for them anyway. Impressive numbers for CM in its first week, should also notch up the billion mark after this kind of opening.
They don't even have to produce a high quality film and they can pull upwards of a billion. Shows how hot the MCU is right now.

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal, New York Yankees
They don't even have to produce a high quality film and they can pull upwards of a billion. Shows how hot the MCU is right now.
Yes true. CM was a bit underwhelming for me, a fair way down the pack in terms of MCU films. But that’s a reflection of the brand now, they’ve earned their following and popularity. It prints money.

Jaxes

Club Legend
AFL Club
Essendon
saw it over the weekend. didnt really know anything about it going in other than a little re the skrulls & the kree. picked the twist from a mile away but we still enjoyed it. was a fun movie, bit different to most of the other ones. thumbs up from me.

sorted

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Geelong

Gralin

Super Moderator
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Buffalo Bills
Admin #218

sorted

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Geelong
Yes a 3 year old article about a local movie being investigated clearly points to a plot by Disney to artificially inflate global ticket sales for Captain Marvel

Or maybe not.

I'm going to go with not.
It wasn't a one off. China Film newspaper, a mouthpiece for the government's movie regulator, announced that “individual films and several theaters have recently launched fake screenings and box-office inflating". The newspaper stated that any ticket sales through “rule-breaking measures” will be excluded from the movie’s box-office statistics.

As stated in the article, the incentive for inflating reported ticket sales is 'to create a marketing buzz to draw in actual viewers'. I'm not saying that happened, or even likely, but it's possible.

Gralin

Super Moderator
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Buffalo Bills
Admin #220
It wasn't a one off. China Film newspaper, a mouthpiece for the government's movie regulator, announced that “individual films and several theaters have recently launched fake screenings and box-office inflating". The newspaper stated that any ticket sales through “rule-breaking measures” will be excluded from the movie’s box-office statistics.

As stated in the article, the incentive for inflating reported ticket sales is 'to create a marketing buzz to draw in actual viewers'. I'm not saying that happened, or even likely, but it's possible.
You do seem to be saying it is happening though

MinerBoy

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Other teams?
Watching WW after it was hyped to shit may have hurt it a bit for me, thought it was pretty average and the ending was weak, like not a bad movie just not the world beater it was made out to be.

Enjoyed CM more but I've only watched them both once
Yeah, it was a pretty good movie with an absolutely horrendous ending.

Overall CM was better IMO.

Bostonian

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Carlton
Roy Thomas thought the movie was entertaining but nothing special, wasn't happy with how they portrayed the Skrulls.

Thought Black Panther and Wonder Woman were better movies.

Top Bottom