Marvels Captain Marvel (2019) - starring Brie Larson as Captain Marvel

Remove this Banner Ad

Similar to others I thought it was ok and it had its moments but overall it is still going to be bottom half in most peoples MCU rankings.

Either I was at a dodgy cinema or the opening fight scenes are way too dark and drab. The best thing about Black Widow's fight scene in Ironman 2 was, well Scarlett Johansson, but the fact that it all happened in a well lit, white corridor was also really cool. I am so over dark, blurry scenes. Especially if the movie's budget means that it is not needed to cover poorer effects.

Probably not too big of a spoiler considering the infinity war post credits is so well known but it also raises the same question as most stand alone movies when they're linked to a bigger franchise,

New York being nuked mid alien invasion, that ain't no emergency
Dark Elves in London moments away from destroying all of reality, lets just back our guys in to get the job done
A landmass, seconds away from crashing into the Earth, setting off a new ice age and destroying all life as we know it, nope we are still good.

My 2IC gets dusted.... where's that ****ing pager.

I kept expecting the Skrull to double cross and show themselves as more than refugees, which I am guessing was the point, and I know the main Skrull admits that its war and there's blood on his hands too but isnt this a big change from the comics where the Skrull have been shown as more agressively trying to take over the Earth by mimicking humans?

To be fair though whose to say he didnt call her in?

By the time she got there the emergency was taken care off.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

And so if you're going to say Captain Marvel has been 'around' (and contactable) for the whole MCU timeline I just think there could have been a better explanation than just saying 'only in an emergency' for why calling her hasn't happened.

Maybe the pager ran out of batteries at times :D

Similar to others I thought it was ok and it had its moments but overall it is still going to be bottom half in most peoples MCU rankings.

Either I was at a dodgy cinema or the opening fight scenes are way too dark and drab. The best thing about Black Widow's fight scene in Ironman 2 was, well Scarlett Johansson, but the fact that it all happened in a well lit, white corridor was also really cool. I am so over dark, blurry scenes. Especially if the movie's budget means that it is not needed to cover poorer effects.

Probably not too big of a spoiler considering the infinity war post credits is so well known but it also raises the same question as most stand alone movies when they're linked to a bigger franchise,

New York being nuked mid alien invasion, that ain't no emergency
Dark Elves in London moments away from destroying all of reality, lets just back our guys in to get the job done
A landmass, seconds away from crashing into the Earth, setting off a new ice age and destroying all life as we know it, nope we are still good.

My 2IC gets dusted.... where's that ****ing pager.

I kept expecting the Skrull to double cross and show themselves as more than refugees, which I am guessing was the point, and I know the main Skrull admits that its war and there's blood on his hands too but isnt this a big change from the comics where the Skrull have been shown as more agressively trying to take over the Earth by mimicking humans?
Maybe Fury knew of the threat of the impending snap, but like other times left It up to his faithful team to get the job done....only this time....

Having thought about it more I think they did the Fury character a great disservice.

NF is a bad arse, not some goof ball side kick which he felt like at times.

Even how he came to only have one working eye seemed to lessen his bad arse persona.

Something I noticed. I think there was only ONE gratuitous close up of heros arse during the movie.

giphy.gif

That was pointed out to me by a female colleague. No gratuitous, lingering shots, no man to ground her, it’s just a superhero movie with a woman instead of a man. Compare it to WW (not that I was complaining at the time).

That was pointed out to me by a female colleague. No gratuitous, lingering shots, no man to ground her, it’s just a superhero movie with a woman instead of a man. Compare it to WW (not that I was complaining at the time).
giphy.gif

tumblr_m96mkqjik41rr7prso1_250.gif

Comparing WW to CM is pointless in the end as the two are incomparable.

One is an iconic legendary character in the history of the comic world. The other is Carol Danvers.

Which is why WW was the far better movie imo.

Comparing WW to CM is pointless in the end as the two are incomparable.

One is an iconic legendary character in the history of the comic world. The other is Carol Danvers.

Which is why WW was the far better movie imo.
That has nothing to do with what's the better movie.

There have been absolute car crash films for legendary and iconic characters. That doesn't make them better movies just because who they have in them.

I enjoyed Marvel much more than Wonder Woman.

That has nothing to do with what's the better movie.

There have been absolute car crash films for legendary and iconic characters. That doesn't make them better movies just because who they have in them.

I enjoyed Marvel much more than Wonder Woman.

Wonder Woman wasn't a car crash though, was a superior story and character introduction. Actual depth to the character. And I'm far more a Marvel fan than DC.

CM is enjoyable, but there's a lot wrong with the movie. Plenty of honest reviews coming out now highlighting it all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wonder Woman wasn't a car crash though, was a superior story and character introduction. Actual depth to the character. And I'm far more a Marvel fan than DC.

CM is enjoyable, but there's a lot wrong with the movie. Plenty of honest reviews coming out now highlighting it all.

Never said it was perfect.
Definitely think it's better than WW though.

Watching WW after it was hyped to s**t may have hurt it a bit for me, thought it was pretty average and the ending was weak, like not a bad movie just not the world beater it was made out to be.

Enjoyed CM more but I've only watched them both once

Having thought about it more I think they did the Fury character a great disservice.

Even how he came to only have one working eye seemed to lessen his bad arse persona.
Yeah nah maybe. I dont know. I didnt think about that too much.

Maybe
the realisation that aliens are out there
made him realise the problem is bigger than thought. So he changed his approach to get people on board and thinking of the danger.

ie that he gets fooled by the shape shifting shifted his trust levels

Yeah nah maybe. I dont know. I didnt think about that too much.

Maybe
the realisation that aliens are out there
made him realise the problem is bigger than thought. So he changed his approach to get people on board and thinking of the danger.

ie that he gets fooled by the shape shifting shifted his trust levels

His whole reaction to learning it was very underwhelming. As I've said, in their haste to rush it all through it's left the film with plot holes and moments that could have been done far better. How easily he believed Danvers was the good person was also a bit of a joke. Once again, rush rush rush no time for decent character development

His whole reaction to learning it was very underwhelming. As I've said, in their haste to rush it all through it's left the film with plot holes and moments that could have been done far better. How easily he believed Danvers was the good person was also a bit of a joke. Once again, rush rush rush no time for decent character development
Thats fair enough. :thumbsu:

One thing that Marvel need to do is actually watch their own movies back before they insert some story lines into a film.

One of the dumbest things in CM is the story around how Fury lost his eye. When Fury was sworn in as Director of SHIELD he had two eyes as is shown in a pic in Winter Soldier. In CM he's just a lower ranking officer, who loses his eye in the movie. Pretty sloppy by Marvel not to recognise this.

Captain-Marvel-Nick-Fury-With-Two-Eyes.jpg

In this movie I feel he works in isolation of just this movie, the very second you bring in his other iterations is where this characterisation falls down as it is so far removed from where it should be, and that's largely the "issue" I had with CM, in isolation it works, but within the MCU it doesn't exactly mesh.

I thought Larson played a fine Captain Marvel but that her Carol was a little bit grating and disingenuous, she kinda came off as phoning in lady Sif.
I knew Jude Laws character was Yon-Rogg, and knew he'd end up being an antagonist since that's the character, but her best friend connection with project exposition had more impact then hastily put together could have been better leading to raiders of the lost ark joke scene climax. Kinda pointless for mine, in that it didn't have the weight behind it that it should have. In turn I felt this because I flat refused shoehorning Mar-Vell despite Benning being decent in this, into that role because it not only cheapened Mar-Vell but also Yon-Rogg where you don't really give a damn about his motivations.

I didn't mind the Skrulls going full refugee, they kinda are and people were just expecting religious zealotry instead, so that was fine, didn't really both me that the Tesseract was at Pegasus, it is a joint NASA & government branch operation of which Shield did have access of which Howard was a founding member. There are seeds there for things to be explained away by how plot devices got moved around.

I also didn't like this iteration of the Supreme Intelligence, kinda came across as yellow bus special instead where really, this is the height of Kree intelligence spanning an empire?

That being said, I liked the movie overall, pacing was fine, again in isolation of just this being a movie that exists, it set up the characters well, they worked well together, it was largely coherent and you ended as you do with the hero moment to enter into the MCU. It was a little on the nose at points with trying to do too much or being too heavy in beating your across the face with it for my liking, but it was enjoyable.

Since I saw previously, Carol has several origins.

First is as is in the movie, pieces move around a bit but that's pretty much how it happens.
Second is largely gene splicing, this is the 90's and the brood thing happens to name change .
Third is she was ret-conned to have a human parent and kree parent to be half and half and then gene splicing to be badarse.

So I think they chose the right stuff, even if I also think Garbage's "just a girl" during that section was the wrong choice of song. That and they kinda needed to move away from '94, we get it, it's the 90's, they existed outside of a single year of music.

I wanna see captain marvel again

Cant wait to see how she goes in Avengers. I reckon she will be great. I wonder who she will interact with the most.
Will it be the other cap? He already has close friends in Bucky & Natasha. Tony will be focused on Peter and Pepper the most. She will just clash with him because everybody does would be nice if they just really got along for once.

Thor definitely has space in his roster for a friend right now anyone really, could even see them being linked romantically in time if Hemsworth sticks around.
She has been in space half her life ages slowly like he does they would have a bit in common.

In this movie I feel he works in isolation of just this movie, the very second you bring in his other iterations is where this characterisation falls down as it is so far removed from where it should be, and that's largely the "issue" I had with CM, in isolation it works, but within the MCU it doesn't exactly mesh.

I thought Larson played a fine Captain Marvel but that her Carol was a little bit grating and disingenuous, she kinda came off as phoning in lady Sif.
I knew Jude Laws character was Yon-Rogg, and knew he'd end up being an antagonist since that's the character, but her best friend connection with project exposition had more impact then hastily put together could have been better leading to raiders of the lost ark joke scene climax. Kinda pointless for mine, in that it didn't have the weight behind it that it should have. In turn I felt this because I flat refused shoehorning Mar-Vell despite Benning being decent in this, into that role because it not only cheapened Mar-Vell but also Yon-Rogg where you don't really give a damn about his motivations.

I didn't mind the Skrulls going full refugee, they kinda are and people were just expecting religious zealotry instead, so that was fine, didn't really both me that the Tesseract was at Pegasus, it is a joint NASA & government branch operation of which Shield did have access of which Howard was a founding member. There are seeds there for things to be explained away by how plot devices got moved around.

I also didn't like this iteration of the Supreme Intelligence, kinda came across as yellow bus special instead where really, this is the height of Kree intelligence spanning an empire?

That being said, I liked the movie overall, pacing was fine, again in isolation of just this being a movie that exists, it set up the characters well, they worked well together, it was largely coherent and you ended as you do with the hero moment to enter into the MCU. It was a little on the nose at points with trying to do too much or being too heavy in beating your across the face with it for my liking, but it was enjoyable.

Since I saw previously, Carol has several origins.

First is as is in the movie, pieces move around a bit but that's pretty much how it happens.
Second is largely gene splicing, this is the 90's and the brood thing happens to name change .
Third is she was ret-conned to have a human parent and kree parent to be half and half and then gene splicing to be badarse.

So I think they chose the right stuff, even if I also think Garbage's "just a girl" during that section was the wrong choice of song. That and they kinda needed to move away from '94, we get it, it's the 90's, they existed outside of a single year of music.

Just A Girl is No Doubt, I think the Garbage reference you made was I relation to Only Happy When It Rains.

Agree with your other points. It was an interesting choice regarding Mar-Vell. It’s neither here or there for me, but a bit of an opportunity missed I felt.

Overall, the movie is still very good. Wouldn’t be in my top MCU films and I liken it a bit to Guardians 2. Entertaining, fun, decent action, but something there that’s lacking and I’d be fine not seeing it again for a while (if at all).

I did enjoy the expanded role for Samuel L Jackson. Got a bit of a Die Hard With Avengance vibe at times for some reason.

The action piece on the train was quality, watching people react to Dancers seemingly attack an old lady.

For me though the standout was the way the Skrulls were eventually depicted.
Nice to see an empathetic angle of refugees given what’s happening in the world at the moment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back