Maryborough Castlemaine District FL (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steader

Debutant
May 13, 2008
Central Vic
AFL Club
St Kilda
Maldon were too good for Rovers on the day although they werent able to put them away until the last 10 minutes. With both sides having one dominate forward and both of these being smaller players, Rovers werent helped by Hedger getting injured early and playing Harris injured. But Maldon played the better footy on the day and get through to the GF.

Predictions for Grand Final Day
Avoca Vs Maldon
Both sides have played well throughout and have earnt their spots. Bigger ground will suit Avoca with running players in Edwards and co. Maldon rely on Lockwood for a lot of their drive and Burchell will find it harder this week against the Avoca midfield. Avoca need to cover Dave Carrol as he can kick goals quickly and if enough footy is sent his way will be a headache.
Bellinger out is sad for him but in the end may assist with him being able to make moves more quickly from the bench and may provide some more pace through the middle which has been Avoca's problem in the past on Princess Park. Harris is a big game player and along with Fields will direct play forward. Pilgrim is a worry up forward for the dogs as he doesnt work hard enough in contests and can look very soft at the ball sometimes, but if he is able to get on top he can kick some long goals.
Even though Maldon won in the home and away Avoca showed in the finals that they are focused and they should win their first MCDFNL flag on Sunday by a big margin.
Best on ground in the senior game will be J Fields
Carisbrook Vs Royal Park
Carisbrook should be too strong in this game although they will need to ensure that Bushy dont get away to a good start as they showed on Sunday they can be hard to run down. The Brook have been able to beat all sides this year but tyhe unknown is what effect only haveing 1 game in 5 weeks will have especailly in 2nds foot. Brook by 45 points

Newstead Vs Trentham
These 2 have met 3 times so far and the Steaders have been able to win each time although it was close at Trentham in the wet. With the second half of the 2nd semi showing how they can play the Roo's should be favorites although Trentham showed on Sunday they are capable of putting together some great footy. I cant seee the Saints getting up in this one and the Steaders should win by 4 or 5 goals

While no expert on Netball the A grade should be a great game with Newstead to turn the tables on Avoca and win in a close one.
B Grade should see Dunolly sneak home C Grade will be Harcourt, and in the Unders I have no idea.

Cousin Ben

Team Captain
Mar 27, 2009
Central Vic
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
... And of course if neither team tickles your fancy and you want to have a look some very good MCDFL products in action on a slightly bigger stage you can always pop over the the QEO on Sunday arvo for the BFL Reserves Grand Final.

You can still be back in time to watch the last half of big one at Princes Park (if the ground hasn't fallen apart completely!).

Jun 13, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
Big news of the week is that Lexton have applied to go to the Maryborough District Football League. Not having juniors would not help them in the Central Highlands. I think it will be a good fit as they wont have to travel far. Stuffs up the future of having 2 divisions in Central Highlands.
Good luck to them

Andyt30

Club Legend
Aug 15, 2005
Wendouree
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Miami Dolphins, Heathcote Saints
providing its not just a Rumor started by journos like for ex Ararat Eagles when in the courier it said Minenera & District had voted against Ararat Coming in if I Recall when it was on the news the bloke said what ya read in the newspapers is False and clubs hadn't got any letters or voted against Ararat

the day the courier gets something actually Correct we'll all throw a party

Uncle Johnny

Senior List
Dec 1, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Royal Park FNC, Washington Redskins
Well it's Grand Final Day for 2010! Big day for all involved and good luck to all the teams competing.
Just some quick tips for the ressies and seniors cos haven't followed the juniors enough this year to comment.

Ressies.
Obviously tipping Bushy to bring home the bacon, despite our past history against Carisbrook, but it means nothing today. Time for us to write our own history, and having
played all the finals games and winning, we have some good form coming into the game. I still think it will be very close, with us getting up by 5 points.

Seniors.
Again like the juniors and having moved away, haven't seen much of Avoca or Maldon this year, but I have a strong incling towards Maldon. They have been consitant for most of the year and may be too strong all over the ground for Avoca, but like I said, not too sure. Maldon by 17 points.

Brookman

Rookie
Feb 18, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
... And of course if neither team tickles your fancy and you want to have a look some very good MCDFL products in action on a slightly bigger stage you can always pop over the the QEO on Sunday arvo for the BFL Reserves Grand Final.

You can still be back in time to watch the last half of big one at Princes Park (if the ground hasn't fallen apart completely!).

Judging by the write up in the Bendigo Advertiser it sounds like Maryborough were very lucky to get over the line being second to the ball and Sandhurst not capitalizing on their opportunities.

Cousin Ben

Team Captain
Mar 27, 2009
Central Vic
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Judging by the write up in the Bendigo Advertiser it sounds like Maryborough were very lucky to get over the line being second to the ball and Sandhurst not capitalizing on their opportunities.

Yes that comment was absolutely bizarre. You could put that down to typical Bendigo-centric journalism. See what we have to put up with?

I think both sides would agree the main reason 'Borough won was because they were bigger, stronger and more aggressive at the contest. They seemed to win just about every ball disputed at ground level ... and they kicked badly. I know Sandhurst's score looks inaccurate but they would have had half a dozen rushed behinds, whereas Maryborough missed a stack of set shots.

Well done to Maldon - theirs has been a long time coming also.

razor ray

Debutant
Nov 6, 2009
Dubai
AFL Club
Richmond
u guys sparked my interest so i logged on to Addy writeup
5th para down it says: 'beaten just once in the home and away series s'hurst was SECOND to many contests in the first quarter."

the borough coach agreed with u blokes by saying: 'today we had a bigger n more experienced side which was a huge plus'

Cousin Ben

Team Captain
Mar 27, 2009
Central Vic
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
No problem with that part, it is just confusing that the author also wrote, "Despite a far greater intensity and determination to win the football, Sandhurst still trailed 69-52 with a quarter to go."
Whatever, the 'Borough had a fantastic win with their superb combination of old-boys and former district league guns. They are all better for the experience and it's a pity it went head-on with the MCDFL otherwise more people could have seen a great side in action.

Johnny Drama

Senior List
Oct 25, 2007
Hollywood Bound
AFL Club
Essendon
No problem with that part, it is just confusing that the author also wrote, "Despite a far greater intensity and determination to win the football, Sandhurst still trailed 69-52 with a quarter to go."
Whatever, the 'Borough had a fantastic win with their superb combination of old-boys and former district league guns. They are all better for the experience and it's a pity it went head-on with the MCDFL otherwise more people could have seen a great side in action.

Who cares what a journo writes? You've got the cup. There's no asterisk next to your Premiership win because a country paper journo said you were second to the ball. Sandhurst won't be taking any solace in a couple of paragraphs.

Anyone got some comments for the MCDFL GF as it is the thread for it? I got a text at half time and thought it was over. The text at full time was needless to say, a bit of a shock.

scott whitehead

Draftee
Feb 9, 2009
bendigo
AFL Club
Carlton
dunno how true it is, but apparently scott whitehead is using the "We're gonna win a flag" to entice players out to Maldon. Tell me that's not the funniest thing you've heard with their list of OUTs this season. He's rung a few current and ex bushy players in recent weeks. Kinda funny really
Been waiting to reply but had to stop celebrating with the boys. Well done to Maldon for winning the premiership this season, your hard work has paid off.
Kinda funny really.

The thermometer

Senior List
May 15, 2008
Victoria
AFL Club
Fremantle
What coaches are definetely going around again next year?

Looks like Newstead are in the market for a new coach in 2011 - Rick Taylor has done a great job during his time but due to personal reasons will not be taking up the post i am lead to believe.

Could be a bit of a different look side next year also, with Newstead expected to loose a few Senior Premiership players but are also looking like picking up some handy ones to replace them, so should be thereabouts once more.

Well done to Maldon for their win on the weekend too, they really came from nowhere at the start of the year and did a great job... Poor Avoca may be ruing missed chances again and with their better players on the wrong side of 20's may have missed the boat!

LilRivz

Draftee
Nov 12, 2009
Bendigo
AFL Club
Geelong
I thought I'd take a trip back in time and look over the preseason picks

Nobody picked Maldon to make the finals, let alone win the big one.

As late as round 14 people still had Maldon to finish 5th-6th.

No love for the Bombers around here?

Bucket

Debutant
May 23, 2008
Dunolly
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Millwalkee Bucks
I thought I'd take a trip back in time and look over the preseason picks

Nobody picked Maldon to make the finals, let alone win the big one.

As late as round 14 people still had Maldon to finish 5th-6th.

No love for the Bombers around here?

To be bluntly honest, the top end of the entire league failed to gain any ground whatsoever on last years standard, so it was really Maldon being the only side to improve has the Dons premiers, with the 4 teams in front of Maldon sliding.

Since 2009:
Avoca - All recruits lack legspeed bar Edwards who cramped anyway in the GF. Without Hedger & Bellenger, 2009 is comparable to 2010
Dunolly - Capitulated. Lost 13 senior players
Newstead - Failed to fire a shot. Lots of injurys all year, much better in '09
Harcourt - Losing depth faster than recuiting it, shadow of the powerhouse it once was
Brook - ~4 players left for Maryborough, Robinsons also left. Didnt recruit, did well to win a final this year

*Maldon 6th - Won the 2010 flag. Improvements out of cain, carrol and kelly. Gained W. Burchell & J Lockwood, great years out of S. Burchell and Cummins

Brookers#28

Rookie
Oct 5, 2009
Carisbrook
AFL Club
Essendon
2010, done and dusted, what a grand final and what a win by Maldon, definately deserved, led by there young Brigade in Cain,Kelly,Lockwood and Carrol.

2011 looks as if we will welcome 3 new teams (Natte,Navarre and Lexton).
What are peoples thoughts ??
Will it increase the standard of Footy ?

I think its an exciting opportunity for the league to expand, but is 14 teams too big??, got a bit of ex Central highlands look about it i think.
Interleague next year against HDFL or LVFL- Are we any chance??

Well done to this years premiers !!

henryd

Debutant
Sep 20, 2007
bendigo
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Happened to be in Maryborough on day of granny and was very impressed with admission/beer and food prices-Obviously you could not get a better day for a Granny but the atmosphere was great.Was able to hear a little from both coaches before the game one said I know you guys are focussed and will play for each other and the other said we will win game by ten goals if you give me 110%.When I left at half time I thought both coaches might turn out to be correct in their speech and was surprised when I heard the result on Monday.
First game I have seen in your league and thought it was good to watch and greatly enhanced by the excellent venue.

henryd

Debutant
Sep 20, 2007
bendigo
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Happened to be in Maryborough on day of granny and was very impressed with admission/beer and food prices-Obviously you could not get a better day for a Granny but the atmosphere was great.Was able to hear a little from both coaches before the game one said I know you guys are focussed and will play for each other and the other said we will win game by ten goals if you give me 110%.When I left at half time I thought both coaches might turn out to be correct in their speech and was surprised when I heard the result on Monday.
First game I have seen in your league and thought it was good to watch and greatly enhanced by the excellent venue.

Andyt30

Club Legend
Aug 15, 2005
Wendouree
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Miami Dolphins, Heathcote Saints

considering the ground prior to that was like it was Plowed
and even on sunday it was wet escpeically the centre saw players slipping looked wet when walking on the ground
seen worse though more in Central Highlands & Ballarat league grounds

good to see em made sure it was safe for the players officials and Umpires and spectators :thumbsu:

snakeeyes

Rookie
Oct 19, 2009
there and back
AFL Club
Richmond
I see on Dunolly's website that Lauchlan Woodward is appointed as Coach for 2011.

http://www.sportingpulse.com/club_info.cgi?client=1-6176-80672-0-0
Well done to Dunolly for the appointing Lockie for 2011 handy half back and can go forward, but for talking the boys up for a big win.....not to sure on that.. let hope he does not have to address the boys to often and get someone else for that, someone like the man he works with Jeremy Sanders, will that bring him back to the club? time will tell

Cousin Ben

Team Captain
Mar 27, 2009
Central Vic
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Not completely sure what you're referring to there Snake but a good pick-up for Dunolly all the same. He will dominate the competition. Just don't expect him to turn up and watch their reserves if they make the finals!!!!!!!!!

Brookman

Rookie
Feb 18, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Not completely sure what you're referring to there Snake but a good pick-up for Dunolly all the same. He will dominate the competition. Just don't expect him to turn up and watch their reserves if they make the finals!!!!!!!!!

Woody is obviously a popular bloke do you think he will have enough pull to get his good mates like D.Richards and C.Taylor to Dunolly to strengthen their lineup they would be handy acquisitions and shake the finals with these two!

Rojer_Ramjet

Senior List
Jun 11, 2006
Library
AFL Club
Essendon
Woody is obviously a popular bloke do you think he will have enough pull to get his good mates like D.Richards and C.Taylor to Dunolly to strengthen their lineup they would be handy acquisitions and shake the finals with these two!

I think there is potential for a mass exodus from Maryborough to Dunolly. I know J Egan will be the first bloke approached and will most likely be in the Eagles colours next year...

Status
Not open for further replies.