Maryborough Castlemaine District FL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 15, 2007
banool
AFL Club
Hawthorn
250-1 for the top five would get a lot of action even for Creek. No bookie worth his salt would risk those odds on any team in a district level competition making the 5.

Haha 250-1 for top 5....would be worth chucking 100 on them!!! Easiest $25,000 you'd ever make and if they dint make it...well whats $100 buck these days!!

Top work out at Dunnolly Johnny, things are really starting to look up for them...surely you'll get life membership soon for the way you've turned the club around:thumbsu:

Apr 28, 2006
The Northern Oasis
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Talbot, Atlanta Falcons, Liverpool
Dunolly has got every right to be patient and there's no pressure to make the 5 in 2009. 16 players are under 21 years of age in their starting line up this year and have plenty of improvement ahead of them. This is a team that can be built up over a period of 2-3 years from now to make a serious tilt. We're in no hurry. As long as there is progress each year, we'll be happy.

Honestly, who cares what the footballing public think? If there's a team at Dunolly in 3 or 4 years time playing finals on a consistant basis then that is all that matters when for the past 6 years existence was the main priority. There's no feeling quite like it in a preseason when you're adding up all your players to see if you can field 3 teams. You wouldn't have had to deal with that out at Talbot.

The key with Talbot and a lot of other clubs with a good culture is that all players, not just a recruiting committee, work on recruiting players. This is crucial in gaining new reserve level and lower level senior players to keep your club ticking along. When Dunolly is back on its feet and the players enjoy being there then the numbers issue wont be so bad.

WeHateTheDrummer

Senior List
Mar 5, 2008
Horsham
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
The Turtles
So is he retired or not??? Will stretch the coffers at Avoca if the Fields etc are coming back as well.
Field will be at Avoca. The bloke will be too tough, classy & smart for majority of footballers that run around that league (Not being smart either, just fact) and he's body is wrecked! And for someone that is in the know at Redan, he's not money hungry, i'd be suprised if he actually accepted money of avoca. Good luck opposition.

Johnny Drama

Senior List
Oct 25, 2007
Hollywood Bound
AFL Club
Essendon
Field will be at Avoca. The bloke will be too tough, classy & smart for majority of footballers that run around that league (Not being smart either, just fact) and he's body is wrecked! And for someone that is in the know at Redan, he's not money hungry, i'd be suprised if he actually accepted money of avoca. Good luck opposition.

Well that's pretty obvious as he is too tough, classy & smart for the majority of footballers that run around in the BFL.

WeHateTheDrummer

Senior List
Mar 5, 2008
Horsham
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
The Turtles
We have heard this story about Field for the last five years why would it change this year I heard that he is very happy playing with Redan
He has told redan he's intentions.

People in the know at Avoca would know that he told them that he would finish his playing days at Avoca.

The bloke is that tough he shits premiership medallions!

Fields of Omagh

Draftee
Oct 9, 2008
Moonee Valley
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Cox Plate
250-1 for the top five would get a lot of action even for Creek. No bookie worth his salt would risk those odds on any team in a district level competition making the 5.

Mate I'm just trying to say that getting a decent playing coach is only a small step to fixing the on field results out there. Don't get me wrong I'd love to see a side not from the usual top 5 get somewhere in the MDFL but from the times I've seen Dunnolly play they don't compete at the same level of say a Rovers or Talbot. I'll be the first to congratulate youse if you get success but like King Rich said ATM you are quite a few steps behind. I know youve got patience by the sounds of it and hats off to the club there obviously putting in a big effort.

UnLikly Sauce

Rookie
Jun 8, 2008
Around
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
melbourne storm
I think Dunolly will slip into the top 5 at the expense of maldon next season. Coz u would think jmac would bring a good spine with him and all Dunollys younger players should improve also to make it a lot better side

Fields of Omagh

Draftee
Oct 9, 2008
Moonee Valley
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Cox Plate
I think Dunolly will slip into the top 5 at the expense of maldon next season. Coz u would think jmac would bring a good spine with him and all Dunollys younger players should improve also to make it a lot better side

I'm sure that Macnamee will bring some handy players with him to Dunolly however I reckon yoy may have insulted 3 teams in one go mr sauce. I don't think Maldon would feel they will go from runners up to the bottom half of the ladder despite who goes from their side. You seem to also overlook that Newstead finished this year full of running and from reports have a good supply of talented youngsters. Rovers would also give themselves a fairly good shot at making the 5 as they always do. To say that Dunnolly will just slip into the 5 that easily is IMO a very very premature thing to say.

Apr 28, 2006
The Northern Oasis
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Rovers wont make it. Newstead has more chance to make it than Rovers IMO. I think a few of their recent departures will return this season and push them back up into the 5. Hopefully it will be another even year and top 5 spots will be hard to come by.

bluey49

Debutant
May 28, 2008
Dunolly
AFL Club
Essendon
I don't think anyone at Dunolly is under any illusion that to move up the ladder will take anything other than hard work. D McNamee put into place this year a much improved work ethic around the club and this resulted in a better win/loss ratio than seen in many a year. Should the club be satisfied? - absolutely not. D Mac and the board have continued their work post season and a new coach and several recruits have come on board. However I have not heard a soul at Dunolly state that success will come as a natural given. On the contrary - the players realise that the improvement this year came about through a greater commitment to training and following directions. They also realise that to continue that improvement requires a further commitment to improving as individual footballers and as a team.

Johnny Drama

Senior List
Oct 25, 2007
Hollywood Bound
AFL Club
Essendon
I don't think anyone at Dunolly is under any illusion that to move up the ladder will take anything other than hard work. D McNamee put into place this year a much improved work ethic around the club and this resulted in a better win/loss ratio than seen in many a year. Should the club be satisfied? - absolutely not. D Mac and the board have continued their work post season and a new coach and several recruits have come on board. However I have not heard a soul at Dunolly state that success will come as a natural given. On the contrary - the players realise that the improvement this year came about through a greater commitment to training and following directions. They also realise that to continue that improvement requires a further commitment to improving as individual footballers and as a team.

Anyone talking finals would be crazy. The club has not played finals football since 1997 which was a loss to Avoca in the LFL grand final. The club had some competitive years in the Loddon Valley under Bellenger but things went south in 2003 when Bellenger's contract was not renewed and Dan Brady took over. Not that it was his fault. Since then 0 or 1 win seasons have been the norm.

This year was a building block and as Bluey said, there is a genuine hunger around the club and an improving work ethic. To talk finals at this early stage of the year is crazy and anyone doing so has little grip on the realities of football. It's nice to be talking about a lower level team in this context compared to previous years and wondering if they will field a side.

Having said that. If someone wants to give me the odds of 250-1 I will happily stick a $100 on it. It's not like I'm going to miss $100 in the grand scheme of things. If I were the bookie I would have some concern over my $25k though.

Pyrenees Puma

Debutant
May 27, 2007
Central victoria
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Avoca
Anyone talking finals would be crazy. The club has not played finals football since 1997 which was a loss to Avoca in the LFL grand final. The club had some competitive years in the Loddon Valley under Bellenger but things went south in 2003 when Bellenger's contract was not renewed and Dan Brady took over. Not that it was his fault. Since then 0 or 1 win seasons have been the norm.

This year was a building block and as Bluey said, there is a genuine hunger around the club and an improving work ethic. To talk finals at this early stage of the year is crazy and anyone doing so has little grip on the realities of football. It's nice to be talking about a lower level team in this context compared to previous years and wondering if they will field a side.

Having said that. If someone wants to give me the odds of 250-1 I will happily stick a $100 on it. It's not like I'm going to miss $100 in the grand scheme of things. If I were the bookie I would have some concern over my $25k though.

Congrats to Dunolly on appointing j-mack as there 09 coach,he's a fair pick up just as a player.I think yet to be proven as a coach, but as Johnny D says he's only a kid.I think he will become a great coach as he develops his coaching skills,Don't underestimate how important he will be as a player to his club,to kick the goals he has kicked in the LPFL is a huge effort. And all this crap about him being soft on the LPFL thread, you dont recieve the on field attention he has over the past couple of years unless you can play. As for the rest of dunolly's recruits, and to how they will go in 09 i couldn't say,but they have started the 09 season in the best possible way. I look forward to coming over there next year and having a competitive contest.Here's a stupid silly season statement, J-Mack, Stone and Pilgrim all to kick 100 goals next year, maybe Bond will to.

CranktheAnchors

All Australian
Dec 4, 2006
Docklands
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Water Skiing
Congrats to Dunolly on appointing j-mack as there 09 coach,he's a fair pick up just as a player.I think yet to be proven as a coach, but as Johnny D says he's only a kid.I think he will become a great coach as he develops his coaching skills,Don't underestimate how important he will be as a player to his club,to kick the goals he has kicked in the LPFL is a huge effort. And all this crap about him being soft on the LPFL thread, you dont recieve the on field attention he has over the past couple of years unless you can play. As for the rest of dunolly's recruits, and to how they will go in 09 i couldn't say,but they have started the 09 season in the best possible way. I look forward to coming over there next year and having a competitive contest.Here's a stupid silly season statement, J-Mack, Stone and Pilgrim all to kick 100 goals next year, maybe Bond will to.

Now that's something worthy of $250-1 odds....

Apr 28, 2006
The Northern Oasis
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams

Your confident of snagging a few next year obviously Puma! ;)

Any news from any other clubs? The two Hind boys are leaving Rovers. Not sure where that leaves John. Could possibly be a mini-exodus at Harcourt so the word goes.

The thermometer

Senior List
May 15, 2008
Victoria
AFL Club
Fremantle

Any news from any other clubs? The two Hind boys are leaving Rovers. Not sure where that leaves John. Could possibly be a mini-exodus at Harcourt so the word goes.

By all reports the Burchells are leaving Maldon, so not too sure where that would leave them as that may have a factor in whether Brown and Bell stay on.

Harcourt have a few older guys that would have to be tossing up whether to go around again, also Castlemaine may have a couple of them in their sights

Also hear Newstead have all but signed a couple of their ex players that were at Castlemaine the past season (Ramsay, Bright, Buntsma), and have a couple more in the pipeline, but may have trouble keeping youngsters Reece and Culvenor due to higher grades (Rebels)

I also assume Creek will be a rabble once again - not too sure if they are going to keep Noble as he may be away on work commitments, and being the only decent player will make a big difference

Maybe someone can shed some light on the other teams from Maryborough?

Pyrenees Puma

Debutant
May 27, 2007
Central victoria
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Avoca

We live in hope King. Pilgs kicked 86 goals this season,which is a fair effort in it self, what a lot of opposition wouldn't know is that he played in the ruck for around 1/4 to 1/3 of the season, which makes the achievement even greater.
So IMO if he played forward all next season, 100 goals is achievable.

Apr 28, 2006
The Northern Oasis
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
We live in hope King. Pilgs kicked 86 goals this season,which is a fair effort in it self, what a lot of opposition wouldn't know is that he played in the ruck for around 1/4 to 1/3 of the season, which makes the achievement even greater.
So IMO if he played forward all next season, 100 goals is achievable.

Pilgs please stop talking about yourself!

Explorer

Draftee
Aug 26, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Can play a bit that Pilgrim bloke - can drink a bit too! have witnessed first hand what can happen if you challenge him to a drink off!

Steve_Addlem

Debutant
Apr 2, 2007
Tribunal
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Dungeons & Dragons
Here's some stats for the 08 season Pilgs vs the top 5 teams.

V Talbot 1
V Brook 0
V Maldon 2
V Harcourt 5
v Talbot 1
V Brook 1
V Maldon 3
V Talbot 2 Elim Final
V Maldon 2 Final

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back