Mason Cox Expectations - 2017 And Beyond

Remove this Banner Ad

For every Jim Stynes there's at least 10 Eric Wallace's. Really don't understand AFL clubs obsessions with international recruits outside of commercial reasons (increasing their clubs and the codes reach to new markets)

That's exactly why they do it, it's all about tapping into new markets.

That's exactly why they do it, it's all about tapping into new markets.

Yeah agreed that's why I included that point but Mason Cox should not be getting games on his current ability. He is a seriously mediocre footballer

I was pleasantly surprised by Mason's tap work last night. Quite a few of them were right down into the hands of our players.
If he keeps improving at this level will make a handy second/spare ruck.
I noticed it too. I felt both Keeffe and Cox actually did a very good job against Leuenberger and McKernan considering one has been out of the game for 2 years and was never a ruckman and the other has played at elite level for 12 months.

Initially, I was worried about only having Grundy but Friday gave me a bit of confidence in having some back up to assist him throughout the season.

I noticed it too. I felt both Keeffe and Cox actually did a very good job against Leuenberger and McKernan considering one has been out of the game for 2 years and was never a ruckman and the other has played at elite level for 12 months.

Initially, I was worried about only having Grundy but Friday gave me a bit of confidence in having some back up to assist him throughout the season.

Take your blinkers off m8 cox is terrible. A state league ruckman would be better

Poor mans Paul Salmon, but they dont play footy the same way these days.

in the 1980's he could have kicked 50/60 goals a year, playing man on man in the goal square.

i won't predict his future other than to say he's not going to feature in football greats conversation. But in the game of afl the hardest skill in the last 120 odd years is still the same which is to take a contested mark, and this bloke seems to have this ability which is why everyone is talking about him, like this thread. Doesn't mean he'll be a champion ( and my personal opinion is that he won't be but will play more games than people think ). But seeing anyone new to the game take pack marks is phenomenal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why are people comparing him to Salmon, Salmon was never limited in his abilities he could play all over the ground. Cox is very one dimensional and very limited.

Yeah the comparisons with Salmon are silly, He grew playing the game. He could ruck and play forward. So far Cox hasonly shown that he can ruck and play forward. ...Hmm maybe the somparisons arent too bad after all....

Its just a question of whether he can climb the learning curve quickly enough

For every Jim Stynes there's at least 10 Eric Wallace's. Really don't understand AFL clubs obsessions with international recruits outside of commercial reasons (increasing their clubs and the codes reach to new markets)

Agreed. International players are signed for the novelty and the perception that somehow you can take an athletic person and teach them to play a new sport at the highest level.

Honestly, I think it's foolishness. International players will be fringe players at best - if you don't grow up with the game, you don't have the ingrained skills and instincts for the sport.

Mason Cox won't be an impact player nor will any other gridiron star. Tom Brady and Aaron Rogers would be embarrassingly terrible at Aussie rules. Australians will always dominate the AFL.

Agreed. International players are signed for the novelty and the perception that somehow you can take an athletic person and teach them to play a new sport at the highest level.

Honestly, I think it's foolishness. International players will be fringe players at best - if you don't grow up with the game, you don't have the ingrained skills and instincts for the sport.

Mason Cox won't be an impact player nor will any other gridiron star. Australians will always dominate the AFL.

I'm reluctant to say Australians will always dominate because you just don't know where the game will go but I know what you're saying.

Just give the state league ruckmen a crack, they'll be much better and require so much less resource investment

I reckon he will develop into a pretty solid ruck. Won't ever be a star but will end up pretty decent. The real risk though is he will spend a few years developing and learning the craft and just when he gets good he will want to head back home. That is a major risk with all overseas recruits.

I know with our McKenna I reckon he will end up a good type but he's already spoken about wanting to go back and play Gaelic football at some point. Definitely some additional challenges with these players beyond just teaching them the game (which can be hard enough).

He just doesn't read the game. So not his fault. If he grew up playing as a kid he would end up being in better positions and read what's going on faster. He has 3/4 of a season to improve 25% or this year will be his last.
I'm rooting for him. Would be a great story if he makes it.

He's going ok....for an American who just took up the game a few years back.

Novelty act though who will be squeezed out once the Pies are better than average (not sure how long that will be).

To me, he looks like a ruckman that plays forward - they rarely last a long time unless they are particularly good at one or the other.

Worst Case Scenario - Andrew McDougall
Best Case Scenario - Poor Man's Kurt Tippett.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back