Mason Cox Expectations - 2017 And Beyond

Remove this Banner Ad

To be honest though

Afl is an easy code to learn

Yeah right. Unless youre a 12 foot ruckman.

Cox hasnt got any problems learning..hes done well to get as far as he has...but the rate of learning and improvement required is massive. The next 18 months will be vital for his career. He has to take the next step. Cant afford to plateau...its tantamount to going backwards.

He's absolutely terrible. Sums up Collingwood as a club and Buckley as a coach that they played this guy for some publicity before he somehow pretty much became a weekly fixture on the basis that he might have some potential.

There would be far better players playing senior footy in local leagues than this hack.

Just like NicNat it will take time. At least, like NicNat, he has the talent.

Pretty sure NicNat is not at all comparable to Cox. Why do people think Naitanui is a latecomer? He's been playing footy since primary school.

5th in the rising star in his 2nd season, 7th in the B&F of a finals side in his 3rd, AA in his 4th.

Cox is worth persisting with when you look at some other KPPs and rucks (Casboult) and those who stuck around for a decade or so on a list (McGuane, C.Cloke, Blake). Hell, Blake played ina flag?!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's absolutely terrible. Sums up Collingwood as a club and Buckley as a coach that they played this guy for some publicity before he somehow pretty much became a weekly fixture on the basis that he might have some potential.

There would be far better players playing senior footy in local leagues than this hack.
Staggering they passed on the draft for an American feel good story.

Pretty sure NicNat is not at all comparable to Cox. Why do people think Naitanui is a latecomer? He's been playing footy since primary school.

5th in the rising star in his 2nd season, 7th in the B&F of a finals side in his 3rd, AA in his 4th.

It certainly has a tinge of racism to it. Not necessarily ill intended, but commentators talk about Nic Nat as if he was plucked from Fiji and is just learning the rules.

He's been playing Aussie rules since he's a kid.

Cox is worth persisting with when you look at some other KPPs and rucks (Casboult) and those who stuck around for a decade or so on a list (McGuane, C.Cloke, Blake). Hell, Blake played ina flag?!
Casboult has much better hands and a much better feel for the game than Cox.

With these imports a great deal of them never get better because they simply never get used to reading the game. Of all the sports I can think of, footy is one game where a lot of people simply struggle to understand the game properly. Through junior footy and into seniors I know a lot of blokes that have skills and athletic ability but simply can't find the footy enough, can't run to the right spots and so on.

I don't see how this changes with Cox, he looks totally lost unless he can lead straight at the ball and get it kicked to him.

Casboult has much better hands and a much better feel for the game than Cox.

With these imports a great deal of them never get better because they simply never get used to reading the game. Of all the sports I can think of, footy is one game where a lot of people simply struggle to understand the game properly. Through junior footy and into seniors I know a lot of blokes that have skills and athletic ability but simply can't find the footy enough, can't run to the right spots and so on.

I don't see how this changes with Cox, he looks totally lost unless he can lead straight at the ball and get it kicked to him.

And that is how they need to play him, he sits around full forward leads for the ball and does forward ruck work end of story.

His height will simply cause issues with the defence of the day, which means players like Moore will get the second best defender (or at least not someone who can monster him at this stage).

That means the Ruck (Grundy) can roam the middle and help out in defence...

And that is how they need to play him, he sits around full forward leads for the ball and does forward ruck work end of story.

His height will simply cause issues with the defence of the day, which means players like Moore will get the second best defender (or at least not someone who can monster him at this stage).

That means the Ruck (Grundy) can roam the middle and help out in defence...
They're better off playing someone who isn't completely one-dimensional.

Players so one-dimensional are useless in today's era. Carlton found it so easy to move the ball Saturday because Collingwood has players like Cox up forward who offered nothing in the way of pressure.

He's going ok....for an American who just took up the game a few years back.

Novelty act though who will be squeezed out once the Pies are better than average (not sure how long that will be).

Well there's only two more spots higher we can go, so I presume that is when he'll be dumped?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back