Recommitted Mason Cox [re-signed with Collingwood for 2022]

Remove this Banner Ad

No really sure why the Lions need him they still have Daniher and McStay Cox doesn’t kick enough goals to replace Hipwood
I think with a tight ruck market that's where he goes to fill a hole (team needing a ruck), so can't see him considering Brisbane either

I think with a tight ruck market that's where he goes to fill a hole (team needing a ruck), so can't see him considering Brisbane either
I highly doubt Mason Cox can become a full-time ruck. While his ruck craft is decent, it's mostly his tank holding him back.

He will almost certainly need to pair up with someone like Tim English to share the ruck load, rotating between KPF and ruck, which makes him a good fit for WBD.

Tbh Max Lynch offers you nothing that Jordan Sweet can't, both solid VFL rucks with the scope of becoming an average AFL ruck. Mason Cox actually has the ability to contribute to your finals compaign in the years ahead.

Personally I don't see why anybody would take this guy on as anything other than depth at low wage.

He's old, limited ability (latecomers to AFL are seldom successful) and other than 1-2 good games every year he is largely a role player at best (ie C-grade).

With the right set up still has the ability to be a damaging forward/ruck. Maybe a fit for Sydney/GWS?

I always thought he'd make a good 1st ruck but obviously stuck behind a great in Grundy.
He's a good centre bounce ruckman, but is incompetent at boundary stoppages due to a lack of core strength.

He's probably a better ruck pair for your Marshall/Darcy/Mumford who dominate in other areas of ruck.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With the right set up still has the ability to be a damaging forward/ruck. Maybe a fit for Sydney/GWS?
Absolutely for GWS.

Cox would pair up well with any of Mumford/Preuss/Flynn. Riccardi (who I honestly don't rate at all) for Cox sounds fair.

Cox is another victim of the "overpaid = not AFL standard" thought process, when really it's "overpaid = C grader at best but still AFL capable".

So many players get called VFL level just because they don't perform to their salary standard.

blueiris saying a rookie brings more is a fine example.

Tom Fullarton has got 11 games for a top 4 side this year, he has kicked 2 goals total while averaging 10 disposals and 3 hitouts a game.

Obviously you don't want to pay Cox 500k to just trump that, but you'd quite happily pay him 150-200k (50-100k more than a rookie) to do his career average which is same disposals, 3 more hitouts and a whole goal a game extra (0.2 to 1.2). Cox's career game highs of hitouts (43) and goals (5) are not beyond him repeating it, and Fullarton is miles off it.

Now, there's obviously other issues, in that you wouldn't want Fullarton, an exciting project player, to leave for opportunity over the next 2 years while Cox is there playing a role, and whether Cox would take 150k and so on.

But the fact is very few rookies could actually contribute what Cox can bring, and they certainly aren't going to step up big in finals on 2 separate occasions.

The Dogs could do worse than get Cox on a 1 year contract and reevaluate where Bruce, English, Darcy, Naughton and Sweet are end of 2022.

The game plan would be as simple as "don't let the likes of Draper dominate hitouts" and "Mason, you are a punching bag, do not let English, Naughton or Jamarra get hit in the ruck or marking contests" and he'd be worth it.

Brings more than what Young, Sweet, potentially Martin with his injury woes now would.

The Dogs could do worse than get Cox on a 1 year contract and reevaluate where Bruce, English, Darcy, Naughton and Sweet are end of 2022.

The game plan would be as simple as "don't let the likes of Draper dominate hitouts" and "Mason, you are a punching bag, do not let English, Naughton or Jamarra get hit in the ruck or marking contests" and he'd be worth it.

Brings more than what Young, Sweet, potentially Martin with his injury woes now would.
Is he strong enough to be the punch bag type?

Genuine potato who hasn’t had an influence on a game since the Richmond final a few years ago.

Would be a terrible pick up.
Like I mentioned, for absolute minimum he could be okay, he's showed absolutely nothing since that game but he's only been at one club, another club could be the difference.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back