Recommitted Mason Cox [re-signed with Collingwood for 2022]

Remove this Banner Ad

Thomasno

Club Legend
Sep 9, 2021
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I wouldn’t mind him at the lions tbh until hipwood comes back. He’d be cheap, and while he’s not the best he’s good enough to just sit inside F50 and at the very least bring the ball to ground, which is more than Fullarton is doing.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
We are probably just glad to get his 500k a year contract off the books lol, even if he goes for nothing that's a good outcome.

If we can get some picks that other clubs don't expect to use and convert it into points that's even better.

If we can land Lapinski for Cox that would be the dream scenario.

Cox is getting paid $500k :oops: :oops: :straining:

Isn't he out of contract?

HTPunter

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Is he strong enough to be the punch bag type?

Not Stef Martin strong by any means but his height and reach at least prevents the opposition from having the upper hand.

I know the Dogs won 2 finals without Martin but seeing Lycett, Draper, Ceglar dominate them in the end of the H&A season really showed the Dogs need a ruck to at least negate. If Martin can't go on in 2022 Cox on 150k would be that player.

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Not Stef Martin strong by any means but his height and reach at least prevents the opposition from having the upper hand.

I know the Dogs won 2 finals without Martin but seeing Lycett, Draper, Ceglar dominate them in the end of the H&A season really showed the Dogs need a ruck to at least negate. If Martin can't go on in 2022 Cox on 150k would be that player.
No doubt we’ll get a ruck assuming Martin retires. Even if he doesn’t.

Prochard123

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 28, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
No doubt we’ll get a ruck assuming Martin retires. Even if he doesn’t.
You can probably rotate Cox and Martin around and get 22 games out of them combined throughout the H&A season.

The impact Cox has in ensuring your midfield doesn't get decimated without a competent ruck > Lipinski or any other player you can get for virtually nothing at $150k.

I actually still think Cox has more good games in him as a KPF, and if we were more competitive, I think he still would've been our starting KPF/ruck over the younger Darcy Cameron.

I know that with Cox you won't be at a ruck disadvantage at centre bounces, and while Lynch has shown good signs, we don't have enough of a sample size to be absolutely confident.

Lynch is the long term play if you want him, and we'd probably do that deal and swap with Lapinski.

But Cox as a basement price acquisition at virtually no cost, is highly synergetic with your playing list and a no brainer imo

cecil

Club Legend
Feb 28, 2010
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I hope the Dogs take him if we don't get Flynn/Ceglar/someone else consistently beat 22. Especially as you'd think it would be on a small contract.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

deanc

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
Waverley
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tasmania
You can probably rotate Cox and Martin around and get 22 games out of them combined throughout the H&A season.

The impact Cox has in ensuring your midfield doesn't get decimated without a competent ruck > Lipinski or any other player you can get for virtually nothing at $150k.

I actually still think Cox has more good games in him as a KPF, and if we were more competitive, I think he still would've been our starting KPF/ruck over the younger Darcy Cameron.

I know that with Cox you won't be at a ruck disadvantage at centre bounces, and while Lynch has shown good signs, we don't have enough of a sample size to be absolutely confident.

Lynch is the long term play if you want him, and we'd probably do that deal and swap with Lapinski.

But Cox as a basement price acquisition at virtually no cost, is highly synergetic with your playing list and a no brainer imo

Respectfully, most of this is wishful thinking. Reality is, if any club even has a mild interest in Cox, they're simply waiting for him to be delisted...

Last edited:
Respectfully, most of this is wishful thinking. Reality is, if any club even has a mild interest in Cox, they're simply waiting for him to be delisted...
Nah, if someone is interested they’ll probs trade for a nothing pick, like Marley Williams was years ago.

Reckon Cox will be with us and played as the main ruck.

Linked to him last year and Stef Martin can't be relied upon and its pretty unlikely Stef goes again anyway.

Meanwhile English isn't a main ruck and is needed forward with Bruce out.

I'd probably get another ruck as well in addition to Cox.
Cox’s centre bounce tap work is actually top notch. The dogs mids receiving taps from him would actually be a legit terrifying prospect.

Buckleys_Chance

Team Captain
Sep 24, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
He’d be great as first ruck that can rest forward. Would be really dangerous for spells as a forward particularly in a club as stacked with talent as the dogs. It would really take the attention off him.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Is Stefan Martin a chance for next year or final game this weekend?
I hope we keep him even if he hardly plays, kind of like a back-up player/ruck coach. We'll likely lose Stephen King to Gold Coast and with the soft cap being pretty tight I'd be surprised if more teams don't use one spot on their rookie list as a playing coach type role. I suspect if the fourth year rookie rule comes in Tom Campbell might get a similar gig for you guys.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back