• Poll closed .

freddy mercury

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 20, 2009
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Jacksonville
Disagree on the no good if he doesnt mark it comment. He brings the ball to ground because it is rare for him to be out marked. He is also quite good at tapping or palming down a kicked ball to advantage. We have probably kicked about half a dosen goals this year from him doing this and its no accident.
Disagree also on the 'adds nothing in the ruck comment'. He beats most second rucks comfortably. If fact I would say he is dominant over secondary ruckmen its just that Grundy takes 90% of the ruck minutes. So it doesnt show up as high numbers.
Rare?l he gets held under the ball on many occasions, then a slight nudge , outmarked.

zepender

Debutant
May 22, 2019
Ladder Purgatory
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool
Reckon he is (as many have said) a role player - playing what he's asked to do. I did see somewhere (and can't remember where - apologies) someone stating that he's actually shown up blokes like Sandy. For years they've been the tallest guy on the ground, and yet hasn't ever been able to dominate above the pack like Cox does. I think that's a good perspective on things too.

Shaneprice97

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 24, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood VFL
Reckon he is (as many have said) a role player - playing what he's asked to do. I did see somewhere (and can't remember where - apologies) someone stating that he's actually shown up blokes like Sandy. For years they've been the tallest guy on the ground, and yet hasn't ever been able to dominate above the pack like Cox does. I think that's a good perspective on things too.
I think Peter Street is enough evidence to suggest Cox has more than just height.

Both are 211cm tall, compare the contested marking abilities.

Jarrod Witts is another, great footballer but right now doesn’t come near Cox as a contested marker.

freddy mercury

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 20, 2009
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Jacksonville
Incredibly overrated. According to pies fans and coaches, one good game makes a career. I genuinely think he couldn't get a game at any other AFL club.

Oct 8, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Ordinary player bordering on complete liability at times. When he isn’t marking the footy and reading the flight well opposition defenders have a field day.

Had two really good games in his career from what I recall. Against Melbourne last year and the prelim against the Tigers.

Overrated horribly by the media. He’s no different to a player like Levi Casboult really. On his day can take some marks, kick a couple and pinch hit in the ruck. Casboult has never gotten nearly the same amount of hype but I guess Cox’s two big games in a top side draw more attention.

Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
did anyone ever think he was a star, he just does the job the pies need him to do. Provides a contest for the smalls and is decent in the ruck to give Grundy the odd breather... it would be nice if he learnt to use two hands when going for marks but how many people ever thought he'd be a 40+ goal a season type.. he was always going to be a 25-30 goal forward with good tap work

Back