Recommitted Mason Cox [re-signed with Collingwood for 2022]

Remove this Banner Ad

IMO where Cox really shines is the bail out kick down the line out of defence. Especially with the slow play that Collingwood showed under Buckley.

If there is a club that likes to possess the ball out of their back half and work it up the ground Cox would be a great fit. He's also a handy kick for goal.

Unfortunately doesn't fit the age profile of the Pies, but is far from a terrible player that he has been made out to be.

Brisbane is the obvious fit with Archie Smith leaving this year, Doggies too should Martin pull the pin (although I think their game style is less suited).

In my opinion though, Sydney would be the ideal landing place for club and player - Sydney have Hickey and little else by the way of ready made ruck stocks

IMO where Cox really shines is the bail out kick down the line out of defence. Especially with the slow play that Collingwood showed under Buckley.

If there is a club that likes to possess the ball out of their back half and work it up the ground Cox would be a great fit. He's also a handy kick for goal.

Unfortunately doesn't fit the age profile of the Pies, but is far from a terrible player that he has been made out to be.

Brisbane is the obvious fit with Archie Smith leaving this year, Doggies too should Martin pull the pin (although I think their game style is less suited).

In my opinion though, Sydney would be the ideal landing place for club and player - Sydney have Hickey and little else by the way of ready made ruck stocks

Sinclair, Naismith, McLean hell even Reid or Blakey could run thru there.

Sinclair, Naismith, McLean hell even Reid or Blakey could run thru there.
Sinclair - Not getting a game and 33 next year
Naismith - Put a line through him until late '22 if at all. ACL surgery in Jun '21 with an expected 15-16 month recovery time
Reid - All Sydney and Collingwood supporters know that Reid's, despite their talents, are made of glass
Blakey - was being groomed as a defender in '21

McLean - I agree, he is absolutely the long term proposition for the Ruck/Forward role

I'm not suggesting that Cox is going to be an expensive acquisition (if at all), but I think he fits a need in a competing team like Sydney

Cox is a great fit for Collingwood who need support for their other two forwards. If he was any good.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I think Mason Cox is a good fit for the Bulldogs. When I have seen him ruck he has been more than competitive, but he suffers as Collingwood have great ruck stocks. Bulldogs were not very competitive in the ruck and Tim English isn't the type of ruck they need, he is too passive, and he plays as a forward well. Cox would give them a couple of years while they are in the window. Brisbane would also be a good option, The Big O is a great ruckman but he doesn't have much support and Daniher gets distracted when he pinch hits in the ruck. Cox would be good up forward as the crumbing forwards, Cameron, Rayner, McCarthy would feed off him as a bail up kick as Daniher and McStay would be lead up forwards.

I think Mason Cox is a good fit for the Bulldogs. When I have seen him ruck he has been more than competitive, but he suffers as Collingwood have great ruck stocks. Bulldogs were not very competitive in the ruck and Tim English isn't the type of ruck they need, he is too passive, and he plays as a forward well. Cox would give them a couple of years while they are in the window. Brisbane would also be a good option, The Big O is a great ruckman but he doesn't have much support and Daniher gets distracted when he pinch hits in the ruck. Cox would be good up forward as the crumbing forwards, Cameron, Rayner, McCarthy would feed off him as a bail up kick as Daniher and McStay would be lead up forwards.
Lions have been mainly linked to Darcy Fort from Geelong but also Cox starting to be mentioned a bit. Maybe player manages driving the Cox interest
When Hipwood did his ACL Daniher did not do much rucking. That was left to the inexperienced Fullarton. So another ruck is on our cheap wish list

The Lions are short on available list spots and very little room in the salary cap
If either Fort or Cox come to the Lions it would have to be on a smallish type contract
I believe Cox was on good money at the Pies so i imagine he is less likely for the Lions

Lions have been mainly linked to Darcy Fort from Geelong but also Cox starting to be mentioned a bit. Maybe player manages driving the Cox interest
When Hipwood did his ACL Daniher did not do much rucking. That was left to the inexperienced Fullarton. So another ruck is on our cheap wish list

The Lions are short on available list spots and very little room in the salary cap
If either Fort or Cox come to the Lions it would have to be on a smallish type contract
I believe Cox was on good money at the Pies so i imagine he is less likely for the Lions
Would have to agree that Fort is the more likely. Fullarton doesn't do much in the Ruck, and Brisbane lose a lot when O is resting. I believe Fullarton is much moe likely as a forward. The problem with Fort though is he hasn't shown much as a forward, so it would be hard to play him in same team as Big O,whereas Cox could. As you mention salary would be a hurdle on getting Cox.

I'm not entirely sure Cox would be expecting a sizable contract for '22 onward.

He has 'made his money' somewhere to the tune of 2 million over his tenure at the Pies. It is also an 'americanism' to accept a much smaller contract and shuffle around to contending teams toward the end of ones playing career, so a minimum deal at a team expected to play finals in '22 wouldn't be foreign to him.

So where does the big boy land? I wouldn't be expecting more than a junk pick in a trade (one with points attached would be nice) but think a few clubs on the cusp wouldn't mind a tall fwd who can pinch hit in the ruck. Dogs (missing Bruce) and Brisbane (without Hipwood) are surely having a look for 2022.

If we end up losing Lynch it wouldn't surprise me if we recontracted him for another year on minimal money purely as ruck depth. Great relationship with Macrae so who knows.

One of the hardest players in the competition to put a value on. Is he a ruck, a forward or just not up to it? For anyone who says the latter though, how many players in the last three years helped put Richmond out of a preliminary final and in a 15 minute burst, kicked three goals to help sink the Eagles by a point in an away elimination final?

His 2018 Grand Final is a bit of a window to the conundrum. Barely touched it first half. Became a crucial link in the middle in the second half and took a few strong forward marks, then his lack of being able to kick AFL distance for a big man helped cost them the game with that last shot he took when he could have sealed it.

Potentially a goodish pick up with no risk except a list spot. He can ruck well especially centresquare. He is better there than Grundy for mine. Would think he will cost nothing as a DFA if we don’t offer him a contract.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One of the hardest players in the competition to put a value on. Is he a ruck, a forward or just not up to it? For anyone who says the latter though, how many players in the last three years helped put Richmond out of a preliminary final and in a 15 minute burst, kicked three goals to help sink the Eagles by a point in an away elimination final?

His 2018 Grand Final is a bit of a window to the conundrum. Barely touched it first half. Became a crucial link in the middle in the second half and took a few strong forward marks, then his lack of being able to kick AFL distance for a big man helped cost them the game with that last shot he took when he could have sealed it.

You had to go and bring up '18 again didn't ya. I still have nightmares of that big lanky prick who has literally played one game (and part of the GF) in his life. And it just happened to be that that one good game was one of the best ever by a KF in a finals game. Unbelievable.

I'll never get over it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back