Mason Cox - Trial by media wins again.

Remove this Banner Ad

This isn’t a new thing and goes both ways.

I’m pretty sure the length of Andrew Gaff’s ban was set by some kind of Herald Sun Expert Tipping Panel.

They only needed 2 more votes for the public stoning...

It’s a very, very small industry - there are a couple of dusty outposts in Perth and Adelaide but ultimately the court of public opinion is run by a handful of people across 2 newspapers who also hold a presence on TV and radio.

The media were hardly alone baulking at the initial suspension handed down - look at the hundreds of posts on here, and talkback radio calls.

They fixed a bad call. That’s the point of appealing.

Can we also get our hands off these concussion claims. If that were true, Richmond’s staff should be answering questions why he wasn’t dragged and administered the concussion tests if it was as obvious as some are alluding too.

The correct decision was made in the end and it was an absurd report in the first place. It's my belief the MRO cannot possibly do this job on his own, they tried it, but it's a total disaster. The Cox and Sicily decisions have turned the game into a farce. The AFL under Gil is trying desperately to sanitize the game enough in order to appeal to a potenital overseas foray with AFLX. Our game is currently to rough & tumble to sell to India or China, it's a master plan and Gil wants nothing more than to cement his legacy with a successful push overseas. We're all getting duped! What Cox did is no free kick let alone a report and the Sicily action was just laughable. We can all jump up and down about this and Cox is free to play....this time. But the AFL agenda is not designed for its home town fans in any state! This game is changing and it will be Gaelic Football by 2030!

Didn't deserve to be suspended initially. However it was a bump/shepherd well off the ball so MRO was always going to look at it. Grimy didn't even get a free kick which is very stiff.

I don't get why Grimes gets a week for a marginally late hit on Elliott in the play, (yes it was late and high and extremely dumb of him), but punches 50m off the ball get fines (Cunnington). So much inconsistency in 2 rounds already
You don’t get why Grimes got a weeks suspension for a strike to the head? It didn’t even matter that it was late, head high contact is an auto suspension when it comes to striking.

I think he was trolling you campaigners TBH and he's sitting back laughing at you all now...

One would hope that someones in his position of importance and power would be taking the role seriously. Its basically an extra media gig that AFL has concocted and reflects not even a mirage of natural justice.

Read pls. Why does Grimes get done while players punching others in the guts 50m off the ball get nothing. Huge inconsistency

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Back at you. I’ll say it slowly this time.

Head. High. Contact. Is. An. Instant. Suspension. For. A. Striking. Charge.

You’re comparing apples and oranges and wondering why they’re different...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The correct decision was made in the end and it was an absurd report in the first place. It's my belief the MRO cannot possibly do this job on his own, they tried it, but it's a total disaster. The Cox and Sicily decisions have turned the game into a farce. The AFL under Gil is trying desperately to sanitize the game enough in order to appeal to a potenital overseas foray with AFLX. Our game is currently to rough & tumble to sell to India or China, it's a master plan and Gil wants nothing more than to cement his legacy with a successful push overseas. We're all getting duped! What Cox did is no free kick let alone a report and the Sicily action was just laughable. We can all jump up and down about this and Cox is free to play....this time. But the AFL agenda is not designed for its home town fans in any state! This game is changing and it will be Gaelic Football by 2030!
You are dead right but I think the problem is with the media. There are too many bozos both in the press and TV who need to fill in time and justify their pay packets. Foxfooty's 360 is a classic example. Whateley is forever trying to sanitize the game and if you listened to him, most players would be suspended and the game would die out due to the lack of contact. Obviously never played the game at all. Robbo is supposed to act as the loose cannon but in fact just follows Whateley's lead. The AFL is simply reacting to the media and it gets them in trouble. Great to see both Whateley and Robbo squirming around trying to justify their previous comments when it was obvious the changes made were over the top.....and don't even get me started on bloody Barrett!

It wasn’t even a “bump” when considering what a bump used to be. It was simply a guy putting his body into the path of a running defender so he couldn’t get to position unimpeded. I didn’t see anything wrong with it.

And these commentators with their “40m off the ball” rubbish. In today’s game you can be 40m off the ball but still thoroughly involved in the play depending on its direction. Cox’s action was not an indiscriminate hit, but was team driven and directly related to the play unfolding upfield.

Bloody glad he got off. Someone needed to put a stop to this rot.

I am not defending the trbunal or the specific decision. But contact is only legal if the ball is within 5m. There is nothing vague about it in the rules and umps need to stick to it more closely.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back