Recommitted Mason Cox [triggers contract extension for 2021]

If he is on that much, I'd be so keen to off-load him, target jenkins. Offer Grundy 5 years 1 mil. De Goey, 5 years 900k and moore 4 years 800k. Might need to off-load a few more players or convince older players such as Sidebottom and Pendles to cut some of their salary for the pursuit of a flag.
Also to quote David King (yeah I know), "Jenkins won't stand under the ball like Cox does".
Interesting times.

imo If push came to shove you would let go of Grundy so you can keep DeGoey
Geez.
I rate Grundy as the best player in the comp. Full stop.
I'd be hanging onto Grundy but would be desperately trying to hang onto both
De Goey is an absolyte gun as well.

scratchy09

Cancelled
Aug 25, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think Grundy has been offered five years. Has rejected it.
That's what I'm hearing.
Could be bullshit.
Gotta hang onto him and De Goey at all costs.
We had to offer Dusty seven years and it's paid off in spades.
Well I'd be cool to offer 7 years if either 2 conditions were met. The first being a reduced salary on 850-900k. The second maybe being with years 6 and 7 having trigger clauses.

I think Grundy has been offered five years. Has rejected it.
That's what I'm hearing.
Could be bullshit.
Gotta hang onto him and De Goey at all costs.
We had to offer Dusty seven years and it's paid off in spades.
He hasn’t been offered 5 years yet. Ned Guy confirmed Collingwoods current offer was still 3 years a couple of days ago.

Linda_Lovelace

Cancelled
Jul 28, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
Journo's have no idea re a clubs salary cap. They are utterly clueless. Fact is clubs can and do, rejig contracts all the time to fit incoming players into the cap.

Its pretty comical, Pies have not traded anyone yet our cap is the talking point. Meanwhile West Coast bring in Kelly; NO PROBLEMS!

Goo and Grundy are going now where. Move on.

guruisatiger

Grand Poohbah of Ganymede
Oct 25, 2006
from the hinterlands of sri lanka and tibet
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
B.S.C youngboys.. Borussia Dortmund
Journo's have no idea re a clubs salary cap. They are utterly clueless. Fact is clubs can and do, rejig contracts all the time to fit incoming players into the cap.

Its pretty comical, Pies have not traded anyone yet our cap is the talking point. Meanwhile West Coast bring in Kelly; NO PROBLEMS!

Goo Gumby and Denali prickle ,,the blockheads, pokey
Memories

JLC

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 4, 2001
house
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool NY Yankees
I think this salary cap issue is surely an overreaction?

Exactly. I think Thomas did that recently at Carlton. It has also been mentioned in the trade period.

Grundy is a premier ruckman of the comp, but JDG is a gamebreaker. They’re once in a decade type players when they reach their potential.

There’s a reason your mob is chasing him and not Grundy.

The reason is because they just reaigned Goldstein for 3 years not because de goey is better than Grundy (which he isnt).

Go Woods

Norm Smith Medallist
May 30, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
The reason is because they just reaigned Goldstein for 3 years not because de goey is better than Grundy (which he isnt).
Obviously different players, JDG is a match winner, both once in a generation players, the issue with Grundy is he needs to refine is ruck work, effectively playing as a dominant ruck/rover atm, he must improve his tapwork...

Obviously different players, JDG is a match winner, both once in a generation players, the issue with Grundy is he needs to refine is ruck work, effectively playing as a dominant ruck/rover atm, he must improve his tapwork...

Grundy is miles more consistent than JDG he's a generational ruck imo.

Grundy is miles more consistent than JDG he's a generational ruck imo.
He is, and he is, but Jordy has a crazy game breaking ability that I’m not sure Grundy will ever have. As a Pies supporter it’s a hard call to say who you’d rather see go. From my perspective we could probably cover losing Grundy via Cox, who’s actually proven himself to be a fantastic number 1 ruck in the limited opportunities he’s had, but I’ll be damned if I know how we replace a guy like DeGoey.

Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
Grundy is a premier ruckman of the comp, but JDG is a gamebreaker. They’re once in a decade type players when they reach their potential.

There’s a reason your mob is chasing him and not Grundy.
Because we already have an AA ruckman.

JDG can be covered for to an extent with guys like Elliot, Thomas, etc.
There is no one on your list to cover for Grundy, at least not anywhere near his level.

Sep 14, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
Because we already have an AA ruckman.

JDG can be covered for to an extent with guys like Elliot, Thomas, etc.
There is no one on your list to cover for Grundy, at least not anywhere near his level.
Mason Cox is a quality ruckman stuck behind the best ruckman in the competition.

His two career highest hitout returns have been the 2 times Grundy missed games for Collingwood in the last 3 years.

His last game as our starting ruckman he had 43 hitouts, 8 tackles and led the game for contested marks.

Plus we’re adding Darcy Cameron.

Jan 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton

Grundy's ruckwork is bloody good. Especially boundary stuff.

I reckon i saw Grundy put the ball down Rupert Wills' throat at least a dozen times at centre bounces in the finals but Wills didn't break the tackle once. At first i was thinking Wills is brawn but no strength but then thought it might have been part of the gameplan to lock it up and get more bodies in around the ball. Could have been either.

Anyways, Grundy is in my Top 5 players in the comp and he's only what?...25?

Grundy is Grundy, his own man more than anyone in the league. He wants 6 more after next year and that's it. He'll give Pies every opportunity to have first crack, but he won't budge. But i'm sure you Pies fans know that already.

Will be a very interesting watch.

Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
Mason Cox is a quality ruckman stuck behind the best ruckman in the competition.

His two career highest hitout returns have been the 2 times Grundy missed games for Collingwood in the last 3 years.

His last game as our starting ruckman he had 43 hitouts, 8 tackles and led the game for contested marks.

Plus we’re adding Darcy Cameron.
So if Grundy leaves and you put Cox in the ruck, then who's your tall key forward?

Cox might also not be there given the talks with Essendon..

Sep 28, 2006
QLD
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
LA Lakers,NE Patriots,Liverpool FC
So if Grundy leaves and you put Cox in the ruck, then who's your tall key forward?

Cox might also not be there given the talks with Essendon..
Grundy is not leaving this year. Cox is out of contract end of 2020. We have a year to plan for a new key forward, ruckman or whatever. Wouldn't surprise me to see Cox leave end of next year and be a no.1 ruck somewhere. But that gives us 12 months to acquire a replacement, if we don't do it this trade period.

I'd expect our list management team will have a plan B if Grundy leaves end of 2020. Cox, 1st ruck and a year to court a key forward with the spare Grundy cashola.

Back