Mason Cox video

Remove this Banner Ad

Great video and Rocca is right like a lot of others in 2018 the story would have been so much better had we hang on.

I pretty solidly cheered the first mark Mason Cox took in the preliminary final. The Ninth-mond fan next to me said something sarcastic along the lines of wow, he took a mark. I replied if Cox takes one early he's on, which from the video Buckley and Rocca seemingly share the sentiment. Fast forward to the third quarter and the same Ninth-mond fan was hanging his head in his heads bemoaning that the bloody American Mason Cox was ripping them to pieces; he couldn't believe it. I reminded him of my earlier comment and cheered each mark a goal a little louder.

I know Essendon fans who held the same view on ANZAC day; that it showed how bad they were that an American was kicking goals against them. It would be nice if Cox starts getting the credit he deserves from opposition fans when he has a good game instead of being the American novelty used to mock their owns teams frailties, however if he's having those games the perfect answer is on the field.

Last edited:

Video was great.

I think the best part about his performance in the Prelim wasn't the Prelim performance itself. It was the fact that he backed it up in the second half of the Grand Final.

The biggest concern about that Prelim performance was that it would be a very rare one off. But the fact that he played almost in identical fashion in the second half of the Grand Final meant that that was basically his new "normal", which is great for us.

But the fact that he played almost in identical fashion in the second half of the Grand Final meant that that was basically his new "normal", which is great for us
Off to check the Coleman odds. Seriously though, for Cox to respond after a quiet first GF half showed an important step in his development.

Off to check the Coleman odds. Seriously though, for Cox to respond after a quiet first GF half showed an important step in his development.
It seems we were just that one or two more players stepping up away from a flag

Crazy to see how far he's come.

Can't believe he was trying to throw the ball out of the goals beginning of 2018, and by the end of 2018 he was dominating Rance.

Feels like so long ago.

I had written Coxy off as a failure but his improvement has been nothing short of amazing its a real credit to himself and his coaches, great story for the AFL as well.

Great video. It’s hard to find fault with Mason’s attitude and off-field demeanour.

I’m still seeing his PF performance, and yes his follow up work in the second half of the GF, as exceptions. If I’m wrong about that, he - and we - will kill it this season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wow. What a great video.

I haven't dared to really think about last year. It just hurts too much.

But seeing that video, and reflecting on the f***ing amazing journey this side took us on, I'm so bloody proud of Mason and our boys.

This year we write the sequel and give Mason his fairytale ending.

Great vid,

His size and athleticism gives him an incredible advantage.

And his work ethic makes it all possible.

Regarding the early 'hate' poor Coxy copped from league as a whole I never fully understood why?

I always thought of him as the same as any young KPF who gets drafted who would certainly need time to adapt and learn. I understood the difference in age between him and an 18 year old draftee, however felt that that was balanced out by his non-existent knowledge or experience of AFL compared to a kid who has played footy his whole life.

His stats in his first 44 games compared to other KPF in their first 50 odd games certainly weren't a million miles off either.

Cox kicked 52 goals from his first 44 games. In comparison Jack Reiwoldt in his first 46 games kicked 57 and Tom Hawkins in his first 43 kicked 59, while Josh Kennedy from his first 45 kicked 49.

Not that I'm trying to compare Cox to these players, but it just highlights that he wasn't as bad as I think people in the media and in the league made him out to be, it's nice that more people are seeing what most of us keen pies fans knew all along.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back