Player Watch Mason Cox

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
He could be the best ruckman in the whole league yes better than Grundy but Grundy can’t play Forward.

Grundy will end up being a good enough forward. Can mark and kick. No reason he cant average almost a goal a game like Darren Jolly did at Collingwood.

But hes still always going to be a better number one ruckman than Cox because of his mobility and ability to link up in general play. Even if Cox is arguably better at the hitouts.

Last edited:
Grundy will end up being a good enough forward. Can mark and kick. No reason he cant average a goal a game like Darren Jolly did.

But hes still always going to be a better number one ruckman than Cox because of his mobility and ability to link up in general play. Even if Cox is arguably better at the hitouts.
Only trouble with your theory is Jolly went for 0.5 goals per season over his career and never had a season where he averaged a goal a game. He was generally a 5-15 goals per season ruckman. He was a fairly good ruckman when it came to goal kicking which illustrates in the modern game how far ruckmen has slipped as goal kickers.

If Grundy could manage a goal a game it would be sensational, a major win for us.

It's what makes Cox unique. He is the only player is the game today who can be a guenuine ruckman but also has the nous and skill to potentially become a 30-40+ goal kicker a year while contributing 20 hit outs per game.

If Grundy and Cox can contribute around 55 goals in 2018 (Cox 35, Grundy 20) it will be a major success and we will play finals. I would be more certain of Cox making his total compared to Grundy.

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
Edited.

I was talking about Jollys time at Collingwood. It was far closer to a goal per game (especially in 2010) than it was to 0.5. And that was in the twilight of his career compared to Grundy being at the peak of his powers. Maybe a goal a game for Grundy is a stretch but hes good capable to bob up most weeks and slot one. And thats all you need for a first ruck.

Cox's main role has to be as a forward though. And he needs to aim for 40+. Whatever he does in the ruck (assuming Grundy is in the 22 and playing to his ability) should be icing on the cake.

If we get 20 goals from Grundy and 40 from Cox that will take us a long way

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
Confidence is a beautiful thing. I reckon it will shine like a beacon from Mason. Defenders will get nervous and give away free kicks. The real issue is if the scumps pay them. Poor old Trav got stabbed, shot and pole axed and the scumps would gift a free and a 50 to the culprit...

Edited.

I was talking about Jollys time at Collingwood. It was far closer to a goal per game (especially in 2010) than it was to 0.5. And that was in the twilight of his career compared to Grundy being at the peak of his powers. Maybe a goal a game for Grundy is a stretch but hes good capable to bob up most weeks and slot one. And thats all you need for a first ruck.

Cox's main role has to be as a forward though. And he needs to aim for 40+. Whatever he does in the ruck (assuming Grundy is in the 22 and playing to his ability) should be icing on the cake.

2010 was Jolly's best season in his career and in the strongest team he ever played in.

I wouldn't put a statistical target for Grundy goal wise, Id set him the target of winning his position and pressing forward when he can.

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
2010 was Jolly's best season in his career and in the strongest team he ever played in.

I wouldn't put a statistical target for Grundy goal wise, Id set him the target of winning his position and pressing forward when he can.

Fair enough, although I dont think what I say on Bigfooty equates to "setting a target"

Just saying that when he rests, hes not a terrible forward like some people are implying. Quite capable of pressing forward and Darren Jolly circa 2010 should be his benchmark.

Edited.

Still not a good example. His goals were generally drifting forward whilst playing ruck, rather than as a forward with a defender marking him. It's a very different scenario.

Edited.

At Collingwood it was 0.7 goals per game for Jolly and that was in a very dominant team where he had more opportunity to score.

My point is not to question Jolly or Grundy. Jolly was a good goal kicker for a ruckman but he would need to be exceptional to get up to a goal a game. Likewise Grundy, who goes at 0.3 goals a game can up his number but 20 is a massive ask. Ruckmen just rarely manage that amount in the modern game.

Cox could be the exception to this based on his current trajectory is my real point. It's he not Grundy that gives the possibility of the combination working because he is the only one who can become a real forward threat. If you think of the successful recent forward rucks think of Hale of Ryder(pre going full time ruck) They could go for 15-20+ hit outs per game and combine it with 20+ goals in a season. Now we want Cox to give the same ruck output but also to massively ramp up the scoring. If he kicks 40 goals in 2018 he will be a weapon no other side has anything close to. There is the potential for him to reach that mark and if he did we are suddenly a completely different team

Heres hoping

Grundy will continue to be a great young ruck who may score a few extra goals but Cox is the potential point of difference

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Great post GC, and I hope you are right about the bolded bit. There’s a first time for everything.:D

Got a couple in the GWS JLT game so the tide may well be turning.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
I have high hopes for big Cox. If he can't mark the ball, then he needs to ensure the opposition know he is competitive. Use every single kilo he has to pressure/hurt the other team. Play hard and fair. Think his improvement will turn some heads this year. :collingwood:

A really pleasing outcome from the Doggies game was actually a few players hitting packs hard and hurting the Doggies players willing to back into packs. It's not something we've seen a lot over the last few years.

noideaatall

Premiership Player
May 14, 2011
home, sth of hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
Still not a good example. His goals were generally drifting forward whilst playing ruck, rather than as a forward with a defender marking him. It's a very different scenario.
At Collingwood it was 0.7 goals per game for Jolly and that was in a very dominant team where he had more opportunity to score.
Spot on. Jolly used experience to drift forward at the right time and generally take a mark without a direct opponent. Note this was in a powerful team with fairly predictable ball movement and, generally, slightly less defensive pressure than we see these days. We can hope Grundy can emulate this but reality he lacks the experience Jolly had back then, the team structure/game plan and it may not fit the role Bucks has marked out for him. If he does play as a forward, rather than first ruck, then it would be reasonable to expect some more goals out of him, something he is capable of. I suspect that won't be the case that often, more Grundy will rest whilst Cox plays first ruck.

Cox is the better forward and, as posted, has the advantage of height and a fairly decent shot on goal. We don't need him to be a champion, though hopeful. As a second ruck he is quality, especially around the centre bounce. We just need Cox to pick up close to two a game, be dangerous and either mark or ensure the ball goes to ground. The plan B is having a forward set up that is able to rove missed marks or keep the ball in the forward zone. No doubt Cox will be a liability if the ball falls into the opposition and they are running it out but so are most KPFs. If Cox can hold his position in the best 22 this year it gives the pies a lot of options as to forward set up and a clear advantage in the ruck.

noideaatall

Premiership Player
May 14, 2011
home, sth of hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
Really impressed with Cox so far this year. Clearly stepped up from last year. If he can retain his spot all year I expect him to continue to learn and significantly improve, as this has been the pattern throughout his career so far. I am sure there is a breakout game coming up not to far away, where Cox dominates for the whole game.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood

My point is not to question Jolly or Grundy. Jolly was a good goal kicker for a ruckman but he would need to be exceptional to get up to a goal a game. Likewise Grundy, who goes at 0.3 goals a game can up his number but 20 is a massive ask. Ruckmen just rarely manage that amount in the modern game.

Cox could be the exception to this based on his current trajectory is my real point. It's he not Grundy that gives the possibility of the combination working because he is the only one who can become a real forward threat. If you think of the successful recent forward rucks think of Hale of Ryder(pre going full time ruck) They could go for 15-20+ hit outs per game and combine it with 20+ goals in a season. Now we want Cox to give the same ruck output but also to massively ramp up the scoring. If he kicks 40 goals in 2018 he will be a weapon no other side has anything close to. There is the potential for him to reach that mark and if he did we are suddenly a completely different team

Heres hoping

Grundy will continue to be a great young ruck who may score a few extra goals but Cox is the potential point of difference
Just as a comparison to a couple of rucks from yesteryear.

Paul Salmon averaged 1.7 goals per game overall noting he was mainly a ruck at Hawthorn and 9nly averaged about 0.4 goals per game i believe.
But kicked heaps for Essendon.
Point being a ruck who was super tall and kicked goals.

Then we move to Simon Madden.
1.5 goals per game and he was a ruck.
Very accurate kicker too.

Mason If gets those numbers we’d be frothing... in delight.
No reason with his height he can’t snag 22 plus goals a season.

Jun 8, 2008
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
Loving his work. Only wish instead of trying to exaggerate contact just go for the ball. If anything the umpires will give him more when they see him really going for it and getting impeded

I know what you're saying and agree, but some players are getting away with murder on Cox occasionally. That said, it has been good seeing him actually rewarded sometimes for pushes and holds early in the season.

Just as a comparison to a couple of rucks from yesteryear.

Paul Salmon averaged 1.7 goals per game overall noting he was mainly a ruck at Hawthorn and 9nly averaged about 0.4 goals per game i believe.
But kicked heaps for Essendon.
Point being a ruck who was super tall and kicked goals.

Then we move to Simon Madden.
1.5 goals per game and he was a ruck.
Very accurate kicker too.

Mason If gets those numbers we’d be frothing... in delight.
No reason with his height he can’t snag 22 plus goals a season.

As a kid growing up in the 90's I recall Fish as being Essendon's crap full forward who wanted to play in the ruck so badly he left Essendon went to Hawthorn and made their team of the century....

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
As a kid growing up in the 90's I recall Fish as being Essendon's crap full forward who wanted to play in the ruck so badly he left Essendon went to Hawthorn and made their team of the century....
A lot of truth there.

Though he was very good actually.
In his first years pre knee injury he was starring.

(Brett Gloury our very own was never the same after Salmon put him to the sword.)

regpies

Premiership Player
Sep 19, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
I ripped him after rd1, which he deserved, but has continued to improve. His marking gets better as the game goes. Great grabs at the end of the Lions game.

Back