Player Watch Mason Cox

Remove this Banner Ad

I’ve never read so much illogical wish wash.

Our forward line hasn’t looked this good since the 2010 to 2012 era. Yet you are knit picking over a 30 odd gamer not racking up goals every game. Clearly you have no idea about the role he is playing for the team.

I could care less if he went goalless in multiple games linked together. If he provides a target. Does the deft little knock ons. Relieves Grundy in the Ruck. Draws more than 2 defenders and frees up other forwards . Contributes to 4 to 5 goals a game. Then he is worth more than a goal a game. Same way Mihocek is going also , guy I playing his role to a tee in only two games.

spot on.

I’ve never read so much illogical wish wash.

Our forward line hasn’t looked this good since the 2010 to 2012 era. Yet you are knit picking over a 30 odd gamer not racking up goals every game. Clearly you have no idea about the role he is playing for the team.

I could care less if he went goalless in multiple games linked together. If he provides a target. Does the deft little knock ons. Relieves Grundy in the Ruck. Draws more than 2 defenders and frees up other forwards . Contributes to 4 to 5 goals a game. Then he is worth more than a goal a game. Same way Mihocek is going also , guy I playing his role to a tee in only two games.

Yes he needs to continue to improve just like any player who has played 30 odd games.

Actually all players should be looking to improve at any point in their career.

Cox has the potential to be very good if he continues to improve as he has over the past 30 games.

What so do you think when someone has engaged his body he is a good at dealing with it at taking the mark? Look at all the good things he has done throughout his time in footy and they happen when he has the freedom to run and jump at the ball. When that freedom is taken away from him he struggles. Now if he wants to improve as a player he has work out how to combat someone engaging his body and going one one one
Thank god no one told Melbourne to “engage his body.”

We might have lost.

Yes he needs to continue to improve just like any player who has played 30 odd games.

Actually all players should be looking to improve at any point in their career.

Cox has the potential to be very good if he continues to improve as he has over the past 30 games.

Considering unlike most draftees that’s almost his life games total as well. He’s coming from a long way back and doing a remarkable job.

The big fella finally looks like he has got some mongrel about him, I like it

Don't know about mongrel but he's certainly never been short on attitude.

Lynch and Moore are both more talented footballers. The key to defending Cox is engaging the body. He struggles when that happens the times he was given the most space was the first half of the Richmond game and against Melbourne. Good sides will send a strong defender to him and keep him engaged so he can’t run and jump at the ball.

What Collingwood and Cox needs to work out is how does he combat this? As he is not an explosive athlete who is going to get of the mark fast and at his age and with the modern running requirements as a footballer I struggle to see him adding muscle mass to aid him in this regard.

I think it has to come from work with the coaches and he will have to work with what he has. Now he has a high center of gravity that makes him easier to move of the ball so what they need to work on is how he judges it in flight.

As for him to counter people trying to knock him off the ball he has to drop his body height so he can better use his strength and weight and then at the right moment push off them and take the ball. If he is to do that he will be far more balanced when he tries to take the mark and he would of completely and legally put his opponent out of the contest

I'm not sure you watched the game on Monday. He kicked 5 goals...because....he is addressing all the points you made, which many others made many weeks ago...directly in relation to his weaknesses.
31 games into an AFL Career he is looking like he could be absolutely anything....
He is like the "thing" in the movie "the Thing".
Everything he comes into contact with he can then morph into....
Learning machine....

HVxrQnK.gif

For a man of his size he is really good below the knees.

The lads seem to really like him too, especially when he kicks a bag.
tBJEr02.gif

How much coin would Mason be on now?
Whatever it is, it's not enough.
As Pie Eyed said, he could be anything.

If the umpires treated him as any other forward, how do you defend against him without giving away free kicks?
You can always instruct a defender to use their body to take him out of the contest, but then that defender is not going for the ball. Meaning it takes a second defender to try and intercept the ball. Two defenders playing on one of our forwards. Bloody beautiful!

As long as he keeps playing his role first, the rest will follow.
He will not kick bags every week,and does not need to, he opens the forward line up for others by dragging defenders to him. His ground work is much improved, though l never thought it was that much of a weekness anyway.
It was good to see him get the return for all the had work he has done.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back