Player Watch Mason Cox

Remove this Banner Ad

JohnChainz

Debutant
Mar 30, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
He was also working his direct opponent just before the ball carrier released the trigger - probs only worth half a step - but at 5' 11" that is enough.

Agreed. That makes a big difference.

Let's hope he has it in him again this week...fingers crossed

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
He has a great sense of humour, very competitive on the field, but very appreciative to the fans off the field. A very good person
Very witty.
Sometimes it goes over people's heads. (See what I did there :D)

Smart guy actually.

DuckToaster

Maynards #1 fan
Aug 30, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
big cox part 1
6PGuP8W.gif

XIno7gM.gif

hEJKrw9.gif

UiTSuUr.gif

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
jackcass I’d like to retract my earlier opinion! He was a liability and anything other than beneficial...

Yet I think he showed Friday night why he is such a significant inclusion into our team Scodog10 .

Oct 8, 2004
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
COLLINGWOOD
Don't expect him to put in the performance he did Friday night. That's a rarity even for the champions of the game.

But either way you know Eagles backmen will be very focused on him, the coaching group will have spent all week strategizing on how to stop him. He'll probably face two defenders at every contest.

All these things are going to help our other forwards get off the leash. He just needs to keep playing the role Buckley has set for him all season.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood

CFC2010

Cancelled
10k Posts Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies - James Aish Player Sponsor 2016
Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
h agoSeptember 25, 2018
COX REVEALS INSPIRATION FOR PRELIM DOMINANCE
b6997f213c9a328879c548a0cd891dbf

Michael Randall

MASON Cox has revealed his stunning preliminary final performance was inspired by Collingwood supporter and motor neurone disease fighter Murray Swinton.

Cox had the word 'Murray' written on tape wrapped around his forearm during his match-winning 11-mark, three-goal display against the Tigers.

Swinton is a 30-year veteran firefighter who was diagnosed with the debilitating condition in January after a work accident.

murr.jpg

Cox became close to Swinton after meeting him at the Queen's Birthday clash between Collingwood and Melbourne.

On that day, coach Nathan Buckley paid tribute to Swinton, sliding into the ice in a firefighter's uniform during the Big Freeze 4 fundraiser for research into a cure for MND.

“It's something I have been writing on my forearm for a while. He's been a bit of an inspiration for me this year chatting to him, and he kind of reminds me how fortunate we are,” Cox told AFL.com.au.

“He loves the club and being a part of it, and it humbles you and gives you a new perspective on life.

“You miss a mark or you're having a bad game, you can always look down and think you could be in worse circumstances. I always make a conscious effort to think of him before every game just to get an idea and give a little bit of perspective.

hasbean9

Senior List
Aug 18, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
Grand Final Record has pocket profile interview with Mason. Question-If you could enter a teammate for My Kitchen Rules,who would it be and why: His answer-Jarryd Blair-I'd get the top shelf items and he'd get the bottom shelf items.
Very witty.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feb 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
And here we go again...

Collingwood tall Mason Cox ‘unlikely to get a touch’ in the GF, says Nathan Burke
Let’s hope he takes some hangers, kicks a bunch of goals and then points at Nathan Burke in the crowd.

And here we go again...

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...e/news-story/87f9ba5cdffb67ab22bf4c574acc1807

Collingwood tall Mason Cox ‘unlikely to get a touch’ in the GF, says Nathan Burke

Nathan Burke has just proven himself to be a little clickbaiting hater. If he had an iota of professionalism he might have written that "Mason Cox will find it much harder against West Coast", instead he went for the jugular. I hope Coxy proves the has-been wrong and that someone calls him out on his ridiculous prediction.

Oct 7, 2001
In the Pocket Rocket, lights ablaze!
AFL Club
Collingwood
Ed let the new Cox game plan out when he thanked Juddy for his insights last night on FC.
But while the opposition now know this, which I’m sure they had already noticed, defending against it is problematic.
If and when the ball is placed into the correct space, the only way to stop the jump and arm stretch is to block or chop.
Cox must take enormous amount of confidence from the last match and the fact his teammates could execute the kick.
While I’m also in the camp that thinks he cannot replicate the PF performance, I do believe if umpired correctly he will get his chances.

ottoman

Norm Smith Medallist
May 13, 2014
Istanbul
AFL Club
Collingwood
Doesn't matter if Mason replicates the PF performance or not.
One thing we know for sure is that he is going to pre-occupy at least two defenders.
Another thing we know for sure is that someone always pops up and kicks 3-4 goals.
If Cox doesn't do it then his presence is going to allow one or two of our other damaging forwards to get off the leash.

Oct 8, 2004
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
COLLINGWOOD
Doesn't matter if Mason replicates the PF performance or not.
One thing we know for sure is that he is going to pre-occupy at least two defenders.
Another thing we know for sure is that someone always pops up and kicks 3-4 goals.
If Cox doesn't do it then his presence is going to allow one or two of our other damaging forwards to get off the leash.

I'm a big fan of Mason. But I 'm actually expecting him to struggle this Saturday. WCE will have focused on him all week and there is no way they will let him fly for marks like Richmond did. He will be scragged, blocked and double teamed at every contest.

But like you, I feel that the focus they put into Cox will hopefully backfire by helping our other forwards get off the leash.

swoop42

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2014
The 18
AFL Club
Collingwood
We tried to replicate the Leigh Brown role with Dawes and Q. Lynch with little success and it's value was largely forgotten.

We then experimented with Grundy and Witts together to no avail.

Arguably the biggest advantage we gain in playing Cox is not his forward output but his ability to play duel roles and he has elevated his game enough this season for the experiment to continue.

With Cox filling two roles it enables us to have the flexibility to choose a player to fill a role in any area of the ground we see fit and on Saturday we'll see if it can gain us an advantage over the more traditional West Coast structure.

Folks, Cox is the new Leigh Brown.

We tried to replicate the Leigh Brown role with Dawes and Q. Lynch with little success and it's value was largely forgotten.

We then experimented with Grundy and Witts together to no avail.

Arguably the biggest advantage we gain in playing Cox is not his forward output but his ability to play duel roles and he has elevated his game enough this season for the experiment to continue.

With Cox filling two roles it enables us to have the flexibility to choose a player to fill a role in any area of the ground we see fit and on Saturday we'll see if it can gain us an advantage over the more traditional West Coast structure.

Folks, Cox is the new Leigh Brown.

Only bigger and better.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back