Player Watch Mason Cox

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 16, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
I’d be thrilled if he could add just another 15 goals to his tally from last year, i think its possible.

40 goals in 25 games would be huge for us in 2019.

We easily have the best small/medium forwardline in the AFL right now so Cox doesnt have kick 60 goals as a power forward.

Reckon 35 is about what we'll get from him. But still an improvement.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Cox is so badly maligned on these boards.

After putting up with a career of Travis Cloke who was the biggest one trick pony of them all who couldn't kick, Cox looks way more adaptable. I dont buy into the below things that keep getting constantly spewed out by people on these boards and even the media

- Has hit his peak of improving and isn't performing how he should be - this guy hasn't stopped improving and I believe will be better from last years final experience and gelling with the forward line. For a category B rookie , we have cashed in more than what it has cost us and he has performed as good as some forwards on 500k plus
- He is useless if he cant mark it - hardly true , does deft little taps , creates blocks , tackles - not completely out of the contest if he cant mark it
- Needs to kick more goals - what a joke , we had 4 players over 30 plus last year , the forward line was the best it has been in years and cox and mihocek played a huge part in it with their team play

I'd love to see him put it all together this year. Deliver his "best of" stats as a minimum contribution. That'd give him north of 1.5 goals a game (2016 - 1.6 GPG), around 10 disposals (2018 - 9.9), around 5 marks a game (2018 - 5.0 MPG) with about 1/2 contested, north of 10 hit-outs (2017 - 16.1 PG). If that's his minimum he'll be having some sort of season which can only hold us in good stead. Especially if we still see the goals created for others from his contested work.

OniAu

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 4, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'd love to see him put it all together this year. Deliver his "best of" stats as a minimum contribution. That'd give him north of 1.5 goals a game (2016 - 1.6 GPG), around 10 disposals (2018 - 9.9), around 5 marks a game (2018 - 5.0 MPG) with about 1/2 contested, north of 10 hit-outs (2017 - 16.1 PG). If that's his minimum he'll be having some sort of season which can only hold us in good stead. Especially if we still see the goals created for others from his contested work.

Really would be handy if he has a season of best of stats and better!

Will benefit hugely from the 6 6 6 rule if we can get a few centre clearances quickly kicked in

Shaneprice97

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 24, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood VFL
Hoping for a 2013 Mike Pyke breakout year of sorts from Cox in 2019.

Well I've finally done it - I watched the replay!
When Mason took a mark in the last quarter they showed his family in the crowd.
This young lady was sitting a few seats away from Mason's Parents.

Aug 29, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Back to being what he was in most games last year...useless as **** on a bull.

I was hoping for consistency improvement this being his 3rd year, was hoping to see better body strength and body work given 3 AFL preseasons.

None of his game has improved going off tonight.

When he is off like tonight he is a liability I'd rather play a 195cm VFL player then him.

Aussie pie

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
76ers
Back to being what he was in most games last year...useless as **** on a bull.

I was hoping for consistency improvement this being his 3rd year, was hoping to see better body strength and body work given 3 AFL preseasons.

None of his game has improved going off tonight.

When he is off like tonight he is a liability I'd rather play a 195cm VFL player then him.
And tell me who this might this be? Wills? It’s amazing how it takes people one game to get on his back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

grayza2018

Club Legend
Oct 31, 2017
The Cottage
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Fulham
Gee quick to jump on his back. The delivery to him for the most part was poor, and there were a few times Harry Taylor schooled him on position, Cox won't be the only player that cops that from Taylor this year

Feb 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, Chicago Blackhawks
Unfortunately, Richmond were the exception, not the rule. Other teams know how to out position him properly and don't allow us to kick to him on a lead.

JG13

All Australian
Dec 31, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
SA Spurs. NUnited FC. NE Patriots.
The umps were being kind to him finally but unfortunately couldn’t find much space inside 50. Too soon to judge imo whether or not he will take the next step but the entire forward half wasn’t functioning so it’s rough to pin it on one bloke

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jun 8, 2008
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
The umps were being kind to him finally but unfortunately couldn’t find much space inside 50. Too soon to judge imo whether or not he will take the next step but the entire forward half wasn’t functioning so it’s rough to pin it on one bloke

Very much this and I don't think the slippery conditions were going to do him any favours either.

Aug 29, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
And tell me who this might this be? Wills? It’s amazing how it takes people one game to get on his back.

Its amazing that it takes 1 GOOD game to hail him Carey.

His poor games are far, far more often then his good games.

He needs to play with more aggression don't give up his position so easily, smash his knee in the player who drops in front instead of pulling up and not making contact (this deters them or at worst wears them down), make aggressive hard leads more often (less arm waving to kick on his head).

His biggest saving grace was the midfields delivery was abysmal all of them, but he needs to watch how elliott attacks EVERY contest and try his best to replicate. INTENSITY.

Aug 29, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood

He's a large part of the dysfunction. He should be the linchpin.

bucksisbest

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 27, 2002
Club Silencio
AFL Club
Collingwood
I didnt think that was a bad Cox game. It was not that anaemic, self beaten garbage like the Qualifying final last year.

He was OK and provided enough of a contest IMO without being particularly good at anything.

I am a little disappointed that he doesnt 'appear' to have spebt alot of off season time really strengthening up in the gym over the last 2 years.

Shaneprice97

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 24, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood VFL
Whilst he wasn’t great, he was much better than round one last year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back