Player Watch Mason Cox

Remove this Banner Ad

Thought he was a bit quiet tonight but serviceable, I don't think he will ever be the player to regularly kick you bags of goals but he does enough and is such a presence the opposition always have to be wary of him and commit a decent defender or 3 to him at all times

Kicked 2.3 and hit the post maybe 1-2 times? Unlucky not to have at least 3 goals, and considering he also does some ruckwork that's quite a good game.

Kicked 2.3 and hit the post maybe 1-2 times? Unlucky not to have at least 3 goals, and considering he also does some ruckwork that's quite a good game.

Surprised with the 5 shots on goal, its funny cos last week I thought he had a good start then dropped off and was shocked he only kicked 1.1 or something, it felt like he did better than that especially with a few free kicks early on.

But I reckon his biggest strength and we saw it tonight is he runs out games so well, I don't know whether its better fitness or teams just can't go with him late but he seems to have big impacts in the last qtr. That snap goal tonight was brilliant, tried to pass it off 3-4 times then went bugger it, I'll kick it myself!!!

Surprised with the 5 shots on goal, its funny cos last week I thought he had a good start then dropped off and was shocked he only kicked 1.1 or something, it felt like he did better than that especially with a few free kicks early on.

But I reckon his biggest strength and we saw it tonight is he runs out games so well, I don't know whether its better fitness or teams just can't go with him late but he seems to have big impacts in the last qtr. That snap goal tonight was brilliant, tried to pass it off 3-4 times then went bugger it, I'll kick it myself!!!

Players get slower as games wear on but they don't get shorter.

He just needs to lead. He is bit of a lamppost when he stays still. When he’s leading, he can’t be defended.

Even the presence of him leading drags 2-3 defenders, and clears any potential congestion.

If you’re ever close to M34, and you hear “give him a lead Coxxy” , that’s 100% me.

No one else.

He just needs to lead. He is bit of a lamppost when he stays still. When he’s leading, he can’t be defended.

Even the presence of him leading drags 2-3 defenders, and clears any potential congestion.

If you’re ever close to M34, and you hear “give him a lead Coxxy” , that’s 100% me.

No one else.

Who would you rather on the lead Cox, JDG or Elliott? Cox is the static option more often than not in a crowded forward line.

Great foil.

An a darn big foil to boot.

Cox wasn't static last night. He made good leads, lots of them, and our midfield last night did a better job of working out which lead to honour and which ones to ignore. They also kicked the ball in low rather than lobbing it, which meant that all of our forwards were given a decent chance.

It's a bit of a nightmare for opposition defenders/supporters, quite sublime for the rest of us.

Coxy leading frees up so much space in behind him for our other forwards.

What I love most is that when his lead isn't honored, he doesn't drop his head and sulk like other forwards, he grits his teeth heads back to the square and leads again.

There’s a great sign someone has in the cheer squad I think.

Very witty.

• Cox our star in stripes

Very clever that.

I thought he was better this week, need that to be his standard and not just his standard vs Richmond (which is a team he has history against both at AFL and VFL level).

There were no real weak efforts like the previous week, cleaner hands, more involved around goals (all be it inaccurate but that's fine can work on it). That standard needs to become his weekly, then hopefully improve on with night/days out like last years PF.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Goal of the year from Coxy tonight

Said the same to a mate watching live. Blokes his size aren't meant to do that sort of thing.

Who would you rather on the lead Cox, JDG or Elliott? Cox is the static option more often than not in a crowded forward line.

He was leading quite a bit last night but as we see all too often it's the delivery that causes him to stop and prop.

I thought he was better this week, need that to be his standard and not just his standard vs Richmond (which is a team he has history against both at AFL and VFL level).

There were no real weak efforts like the previous week, cleaner hands, more involved around goals (all be it inaccurate but that's fine can work on it). That standard needs to become his weekly, then hopefully improve on with night/days out like last years PF.

Did you also notice that a couple of his "halved contests" appeared to be beautifully directed to the advantage of teammates at ground level?

Dolly for uninitiated:

ps she NEVER had or wore braces!

471ECEDD-0C90-4BE4-8212-50A75368CB0D.jpeg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back