Player Watch Mason Cox

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry, but they are not the best ruck combo in the comp. Not even close.
North doubled our centre clearances yesterday. Double!
Statistically better across just about every category. Goals, possessions, marks, hit outs…the lot. Centre clearances isn’t solely the responsibility of the ruckman.

And besides you also have to look at the cost.

Cox Cameron Combination are 7-0 so far. Isn't that what counts the most?

Would we be less than 7-0 if we were say breaking even in the centre clearances?

We're a territory team but we seem to start all too often from a negative territory position. That can't be the best option or what the coaches are aiming for.

I thought he was very average for the first 3 quarters today.

However, he was absolutely huge for us in the last 15 mins of the game. When it became tight and contested, stoppage after stoppage, it's such an advantage to have him in the ruck.

It's part of the reason I'd consider playing him instead of Cameron once Grundy comes back, in the likely event they don't select all 3.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cox Cameron Combination are 7-0 so far. Isn't that what counts the most?
Yes, it is. If it aint broke don't fix it. These two have more strings in their bow than Grundy, while Grundy has less strings but his strings are stronger. Cox and Cameron can both take marks around the ground (Grundy not so much), they can both go forward and kick two or three (Grundy not so much) and they both can drop back in defence and fill holes (Grundy not so much). This flexibility is working very well for us and creates confusion for the opposition. Grundy really just has a big 1-wood which is ruck all day using his fitness and bring the ball to ground. He is a physical beast but lacks the variety in his game. I prefer the variety. If Grundy can add a couple more strings to his bow, and reports are that he is working on some stuff then this would have him back into the team. I wouldn't replace Cox unless Cox drops off in form but he is going well. You don't want to destabilise the team unnecessarily.

Yes, it is. If it aint broke don't fix it. These two have more strings in their bow than Grundy, while Grundy has less strings but his strings are stronger. Cox and Cameron can both take marks around the ground (Grundy not so much), they can both go forward and kick two or three (Grundy not so much) and they both can drop back in defence and fill holes (Grundy not so much). This flexibility is working very well for us and creates confusion for the opposition. Grundy really just has a big 1-wood which is ruck all day using his fitness and bring the ball to ground. He is a physical beast but lacks the variety in his game. I prefer the variety. If Grundy can add a couple more strings to his bow, and reports are that he is working on some stuff then this would have him back into the team. I wouldn't replace Cox unless Cox drops off in form but he is going well. You don't want to destabilise the team unnecessarily.
That's exactly my view as well. Why even roll the dice? But I feel the coaches are going to bring Grundy back as soon as he's fit to play. Whether it's at the expense of Cox, or all three are going to play with some radical strategy. There's a danger it may backfire especially at the business end of the season.

I noticed this during the game!! Incredible stuff.

This was brilliant from Coxy! Big brain play right there. Would Grundy have done that? Not so sure. Coxy does a lot of subtle things, he's better than he gets credit for. Now that he is an Aussie now his footy has really improved. US Oz! US Oz! US Oz!

That's exactly my view as well. Why even roll the dice? But I feel the coaches are going to bring Grundy back as soon as he's fit to play. Whether it's at the expense of Cox, or all three are going to play with some radical strategy. There's a danger it may backfire especially at the business end of the season.

I really hope they try all 3 with grundy as an inside midfielder. We need help in there and it might work.

Cox is an AFL level ruck. So is Cameron & Witts. All 3 have had a stalled development because Grundy is elite. We needed to couple him with a forward that can ruck. We have had over five years to recruit one, can't understand our problem.

Cox is an AFL level ruck. So is Cameron & Witts. All 3 have had a stalled development because Grundy is elite. We needed to couple him with a forward that can ruck. We have had over five years to recruit one, can't understand our problem

Salary cap.

That said it’s not as if having three good ruck candidates is a bad problem, especially when we know two of them are competent forwards

I'm in the if it isnt broken dont try to to fix it camp, and whilst Cox has done nothing wrong, the reality is the club pay Grundy to much money to plays twos.

Salary cap.

That said it’s not as if having three good ruck candidates is a bad problem, especially when we know two of them are competent forwards
History does not support the assertion they are competent forwards. Mason has played forward for years, there is a reason he was on a one year contract & fringe of selection at the start of the year. Grundy will return, one of them will need to go (Cox I suspect). We won't get the best out of Grundy if he spends more time forward & we won't get the best out of Cox or Cameron if they're mainly forward. Good to have excess ruck stocks but wouldn't it be so much better if one of them was actually a KPF.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back