Player Watch Mason Cox

Remove this Banner Ad

It's his second year in the system. It's way too early to be making unequivocal claims that he and Grundy can't work in tandem.

I'm still on the fence about cox and where he fits in ( if at all) but next week is a good opportunity to test the waters again in a dead rubber.

Grundy/cox is an upgrade on Grundy/witts because at least cox can kick a goal .
If an upgrade on the Grundy/Witts combo is all you're looking for then you're setting the bar extremely low.

Those are enormous stats from a ruckman and mirror his VFL output.

I give him a huge tick today. Definitely a keeper, even as a backup. That's a huge positive for a guy who had never played the game that we got for an international rookie pick. If thats all he ever becomes then we have already won.

Grundy is clearly still ahead, but for cox to get into the regular 22 then he needs to keep working on his forward craft. We can model him on Rory lobbe i reckon.

The issue is going to be having mids that kick to his advantage.
Some of his palming work was really good too.
Tapping the ball to advantage, slapping the ball forward.
He earned his keep.

If nothing else we have excellent depth

Stats-wise, that's a huge breakout game for Mason Cox. He has had some eye-catching numbers in the vfl, but first time he's done it at afl level. With Grundy out, he has taken his chance, and shown a greatly lifted output.

Stats-wise, that's a huge breakout game for Mason Cox. He has had some eye-catching numbers in the vfl, but first time he's done it at afl level. With Grundy out, he has taken his chance, and shown a greatly lifted output.

Mason learnt how to mark (imagine that in a Happy Gilmore voice)

And take a contested mark, which is a definite upgrade on Witts in terms of ability to play in the forward line and proper use of 211cm and 120kg of size.

It's his second year in the system. It's way too early to be making unequivocal claims that he and Grundy can't work in tandem. Its not a stretch to assume a team cant have two key forwards and two rucks (one of whom as a minimum can kick a goal). I fact thats the lineup we had in 2010

I'm still on the fence about cox and where he fits in ( if at all) but next week is a good opportunity to test the waters again in a dead rubber.

3rd year in the system.

If we were gonna play Cox and Grundy, what can Grundy do best while Cox is rucking? Other than sit on the bench.

If Cox can build his forward craft to the point where he can contribute almost essentially in that role then covering Grundy while he's on the bench is all he'd need to do. Doubt we could play all of Cox, Moore and Reid in F50 though.

If Cox can build his forward craft to the point where he can contribute almost essentially in that role then covering Grundy while he's on the bench is all he'd need to do. Doubt we could play all of Cox, Moore and Reid in F50 though.
If he can do that, Reid will not be needed forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reckon that was the plan at the start of the season but buckley bottled it after 1 loss

3rd year in the system.

Third year since he's even seen the game!

As if that makes all the difference. Cox has come from a long way back and I've always had my doubts like others that he develop as fast as is needed. Hes still doing all the right things to give himself every chance.

2018 will be interesting.

Plenty to like about the way the big American is going and what he offers to the side, if they abolish the bounce and only throw the ball up he can be damn near unbeatable in the tap outs, kicks well and can take a grab. Footy smarts always the issue but he does some smart things. Just needs to keep clunking marks, keep working on his tap work and learn where to position himself around the ground when in the ruck. Can see him becoming a regular in the seniors if he keeps this up.

Nothing really changed on Saturday afternoon. The number 1 ruck role was always going to be the one where he would make it at AFL level. He ain't a forwards rectum because he gets lost playing the support ruck role, his workrate is poor and he's too easily outbodied by smaller opponents. It's unfortunate for his future at Collingwood that he has Grundy ahead of him, but now is decision time for he and the club.

If he wants to be a success in this league he needs to move on post 2017, but if Grundy is umming and arghing about his future we won't be left too badly in the lurch if he decides he wants out (as expected).

The best value for us is to re-sign Grundy immediately and have Cox in reserve, but Collingwood is something of an enigma when it comes to making wise decisions for the future. One things for sure whilst he is used in tandem with Grundy both will struggle...

Edit: also keep in mind Smith is one of the worst ruckman going round. It wasn't much of a test of his ability in the role, IMO, unlike the week before.

Last edited:
There were so many Cox hit outs on Saturday that didn't fall to our advantage. I don't know what the stats say but it just seemed that the Cats had. Ore use of the ball from his taps than we did.

Nothing really changed on Saturday afternoon. The number 1 ruck role was always going to be the one where he would make it at AFL level. He ain't a forwards rectum because he gets lost playing the support ruck role, his workrate is poor and he's too easily outbodied by smaller opponents. It's unfortunate for his future at Collingwood that he has Grundy ahead of him, but now is decision time for he and the club.
Edit: also keep in mind Smith is one of the worst ruckman going round. It wasn't much of a test of his ability in the role, IMO, unlike the week before.
I'm so glad somebody else can see this. But Geelong are praised consistently for recruiting him. Hewas embarrassed in that first quarter by a bloke who has been playing for three years.

I'm getting to the stage where I think the Ruck position is almost anachronistic. That said, if throw ups become standard operating proceedure, Mason may be in his element

There will be no consolation if we lose Grundy. It will be an out and out disaster.
I want grundy to sign up as much as any one, but if he doesn't at least cox can fill in till lynch is ready. It is not totally doom and gloom

I reckon he could be a beast down forward with the right conditions. Get him one out deep move the ball quickly and put it on top of the extra defenders head, if he can run and jump at it he'll outreach them. Just needs to stay on the move, soon as its body to body he's done.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back