Player Watch Mason Cox

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm so glad somebody else can see this. But Geelong are praised consistently for recruiting him. Hewas embarrassed in that first quarter by a bloke who has been playing for three years.

I'm getting to the stage where I think the Ruck position is almost anachronistic. That said, if throw ups become standard operating proceedure, Mason may be in his element

Personally I see exactly where you're coming from on the overall position of ruckman in the game. That you can throw a blanket over Kruezer, Jacobs, Ryder, Grundy and Martin as the best in the league this year says a bit, IMO.

Cox will never be anything other than a crab and guys that run around getting sub 10 possessions week to week are just a liability cough Blair cough. He's the biggest witches hat I've ever seen in open play and that's what separates AFL standard from good in the role.

It's why he's the ideal back up ruck just as Currie has been, but that's the role he'll make it in if he does.

So according to the Hun Richmond and Hawthorn are circling around Cox (lol). Don't see why he would bother going there because he wouldn't be the number 1 ruckman there either. Hopefully takes the 2 year contract with us.

You suddenly calling Cox a good one?

Rucks around his level arent hard to find. Hence having him on the list in case we lose an actual good one (grundy) is not any consolation.
No l am not, but till we can draft or trade a good one in, he is better than a lot of others running around.
Losing grundy would be terrible, but it is not the end of the world stuff.
Would love grundy to sign on the dotted line.

No l am not, but till we can draft or trade a good one in, he is better than a lot of others running around.
Losing grundy would be terrible, but it is not the end of the world stuff.
Would love grundy to sign on the dotted line.
He has already according to the HS for $625k per year for 3

So according to the Hun Richmond and Hawthorn are circling around Cox (lol). Don't see why he would bother going there because he wouldn't be the number 1 ruckman there either. Hopefully takes the 2 year contract with us.
Hope so still has plenty of upside and is a difficult match up....but can he establish himself as best 22? and where does he fit best?

Man what a dream it would be if someone could take Cox off us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only for the right price. If we lose him we lose competent depth.
Competent depth in the ruck would be one of the easiest positions to fill. Anything more than Minimum chips for Cox isn't worth our time and better spent elsewhere imo.

Competent depth in the ruck would be one of the easiest positions to fill. Anything more than Minimum chips for Cox isn't worth our time and better spent elsewhere imo.
I know what you mean, but I struggle to see many depth rucks who are capable of 40+ hitouts, 6 marks and 2 goals against a top 4 side, even if their ruckman (Smith) is garbage.

Reid or Moore to CHB next week. Give the big American another try at FWD/Ruck. He hasn't actually played that many AFL games in the role. Not sure why so many have written him off in that role already.
He has played almost every one of his games in that role and moving Moore back to play Cox forward is stupid

Edit: also keep in mind Smith is one of the worst ruckman going round. It wasn't much of a test of his ability in the role, IMO, unlike the week before.

I'm so glad somebody else can see this. But Geelong are praised consistently for recruiting him. Hewas embarrassed in that first quarter by a bloke who has been playing for three years.

I'm getting to the stage where I think the Ruck position is almost anachronistic. That said, if throw ups become standard operating proceedure, Mason may be in his element

But - there's always guys like Smith running around as 1st rucks for teams. West Coast has played all year with Giles, Vardy and Petrie. The Bulldogs won a flag with Roughead and Boyd rucking. Hawthorn has had ruck-by-committee for Clarko's whole reign.

Mason can actually hold up his own in the ruck contest IMO - it is around the ground that he struggles. (Though both his rucking and forward work do continue to improve).

Ideally Mason is not, and never will be, our Number 1 ruck. But he's shown that he's adequate to fill in when needed. He will always struggle against the top athletic/disposal-winning rucks, but he can be decent against the rest, and I reckon we could do a lot worse than having him running around in the VFL as our back-up ruck. (And lets be honest anyone better would either be unhappy to be Brodie's backup and/or will be chased out by other clubs to be their number 1 - see Witts, Jarrad).

He has played almost every one of his games in that role and moving Moore back to play Cox forward is stupid

Wow, almost all his 19 senior games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back