Player Watch Mason Cox

Remove this Banner Ad

Cox was fantastic last night but played a stinker just two weeks ago and only contributed 1 contested mark with zero score last week.

Over the years I always find it bizarre when some people take a singular excellent performance of a player as evidence of that players general standard all the while totally discounting the majority of games when they've failed to have the same significant influence on a match.

Cox has filled a structural purpose but not to often has he been a genuine match winner like last night, that's been the concern and consistency of performance is exactly what turns mere role players into great players.

The simple reality is if he plays similar to last night 2 out of every 3 weeks then no one would ever question him.

As yet he doesn't and that's the next challenge for him.

I suggest next week would be a good time to start.
Fair point and the odds of him backing it up are quite slim.....if he plays poorly and we lose watch the haters come back out.
I have to say when cox is playing well nothing is more enjoyable to watch

Great game but time to move onto next week

totally different player this week, he didnt look like dropping those marks.
the question is what happened between the GWS game and the prelim?
Richmond's defenders didn't engage the body early and let him run and jump at it.

Richmond's defenders didn't engage the body early and let him run and jump at it.
Yep, I overrated their capacity to do so during the week.

Why can't we look at the European Basketball league's as well.

The French are incredible athletes super skilled and love the big stage. Get a German with nerves or steel in our backline.

So much untapped potential there I reckon re.

Can only imagine a Paul Pogba say successful as basketballer as he is a footballer. My God if Coxy can turn it on.. can only imagine what someone like a Pogba can do.

Send Hine to Europe re.. get him to pluck another gem from the basketball leagues over there re.

Can you imagine Liverpool with the whole of Europe at their disposal re.. no competitors?

I'm telling ya re.. worth a look at.

Last edited:
The key was that his marks were taken closer to goal. We should stick with that, especially if it keeps McGovern from zoning off and intercepting everything around the 50m.

The key was he took them all over the ground. A number of them were from half back to wing. His releaving marks were just as important as his F50 marks.

He will learn a lot from that performance.

Noticed a few weeks ago he is learning the art of launching at the ball and riding his opponent , he has finally got it going.

Imagine the day he clunks one at full stretch on top of someones shoulders -

hopefully Mcgovern next week.

Yep. Basic way to limit him. It was like they were too arrogant to bother putting the work into him.

Saw a review (can't remember by which 'experts') which showed him moving around and pushing off his defended before making the lead. This it is something they have worked on and really made the difference. Gave him real separation.

totally different player this week, he didnt look like dropping those marks.
the question is what happened between the GWS game and the prelim?

His parents are in town?

No doubt they should stick around for the GF. Close the borders.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saw a review (can't remember by which 'experts') which showed him moving around and pushing off his defended before making the lead. This it is something they have worked on and really made the difference. Gave him real separation.
This video (Kane Cornes) about 5mins in:
http://www.afl.com.au/video/2018-09-22/its-the-worst-game-ive-seen-him-play

New tactics from Cox, new tactics from Grundy (Keating like belt the footy forward when opposed to Grigg) - we've clearly put some work into the last week or few.

Cox was fantastic last night but played a stinker just two weeks ago and only contributed 1 contested mark with zero score last week.

Over the years I always find it bizarre when some people take a singular excellent performance of a player as evidence of that players general standard all the while totally discounting the majority of games when they've failed to have the same significant influence on a match.

Cox has filled a structural purpose but not to often has he been a genuine match winner like last night, that's been the concern and consistency of performance is exactly what turns mere role players into great players.

The simple reality is if he plays similar to last night 2 out of every 3 weeks then no one would ever question him.

As yet he doesn't and that's the next challenge for him.

I suggest next week would be a good time to start.
Mate if you can’t take some joy out of Mason destroying the premiership favourites then you need to reassess your disposition!

Friday was the most I've seen him work for the ball carrier and lead up in different directions instead of just being a tall guy that brings it to ground for the smalls. Clear change in strategy and hopefully it keeps working for him.

The difference between Cox in the first 2 finals and the last one was simply 2 things from what I saw

1. Better leads and timing at running at the ball. The first few finals Mason was getting under the ball, giving his opponents the better positioning to spoil.

2. Delivery inside 50 to the big Texan. Friday night the kicks into the empty hole were almost perfect.

I think Cox will take away a lot from Friday and be more aware of where he needs to position himself. He seems a good learner and a pretty switched on guy

The difference between Cox in the first 2 finals and the last one was simply 2 things from what I saw

1. Better leads and timing at running at the ball. The first few finals Mason was getting under the ball, giving his opponents the better positioning to spoil.

2. Delivery inside 50 to the big Texan. Friday night the kicks into the empty hole were almost perfect.

I think Cox will take away a lot from Friday and be more aware of where he needs to position himself. He seems a good learner and a pretty switched on guy
He was also working his direct opponent just before the ball carrier released the trigger - probs only worth half a step - but at 5' 11" that is enough.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back