Player Watch Mason Cox

swoop42

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2014
The 18
AFL Club
Collingwood
Until Cox does a better job of holding his ground in a marking contest he'll continue to be a tease.

At 211cm he is one who should be dictating positioning and one can only hope he was lifting heavier weights this preseason than the last.

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Until Cox does a better job of holding his ground in a marking contest he'll continue to be a tease.

At 211cm he is one who should be dictating positioning and one can only hope he was lifting heavier weights this preseason than the last.

Cox's strength is when he has some space in front of him and he can run and leap at the ball.. when he does that he is extremely hard to stop and opponents will regularly have to concede a free kick or the mark. As we saw in the Richmond game, when you clear a path for him and drop it in front he is deadly because he just marks it higher than the defenders can reach.

With limited exposure to the game he is never going to become a 100% all rounded player, he just needs to stay away from wrestling as much as possible... Unless we have crumbers at his feet then it doesn't really matter.

swoop42

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2014
The 18
AFL Club
Collingwood
I guess you slept through last September.

I guess you slept through the majority of the season.

You have certainly conveniently overlooked the qualifying and semi finals (and the first half of the grand final).

As Kappa rightfully points out his dominance against Richmond for a period was largely down to the smart delivery that allowed him to run and jump for the mark which has little to do with the skill set that he needs to improve on that my original post was based on.

Shaneprice97

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 24, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood VFL
I’d be thrilled if he could add just another 15 goals to his tally from last year, i think its possible.

40 goals in 25 games would be huge for us in 2019.

We easily have the best small/medium forwardline in the AFL right now so Cox doesnt have kick 60 goals as a power forward.

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
I guess you slept through the majority of the season.

You have certainly conveniently overlooked the qualifying and semi finals (and the first half of the grand final).

As Kappa rightfully points out his dominance against Richmond for a period was largely down to the smart delivery that allowed him to run and jump for the mark which has little to do with the skill set that he needs to improve on that my original post was based on.

Of course he still has some improvement to go but coming off a year where he was second in contested marks is a pretty good starting base. Better delivery helps, thats pretty obvious, and thats why the good teams kick more goals and win more games. Given his size he will of course have his bad days, and its idiotic to think that he will be able to be productive every week.. But the fact he can ruck and contest with one percenters when not getting many possessions helps. The Adelaide game is a great example of that.

I think he has done enough to prove he’s prepared to learn and work on his weaknesses. His development has been massive.

Last edited:

Has only 1 real Trick and that is Run and Jump at the Ball when he can't do that he is almost Useless

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory
Has only 1 real Trick and that is Run and Jump at the Ball when he can't do that he is almost Useless

Cox rucks okay too. He is also pretty clever at getting the ball to our crumbers advantage by bringing it to ground or flicking it on. That's very important with our small and medium forwards. You add that to his contested marking and he is pretty handy to have in the side. Very important for the forward structure. Balances us up well.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
A little harsh there Dave.

Can ruck support as well.

Plus he does push the call down to our advantage.

His biggest plus is with his extraordinary height with athleticism he is a constant threat and must be monitored by opposition. So he plays a role.

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood

He’s invented the “tap out in the marking contest” or at least refined it and taken it to a new level.

So when he doesn’t grab the mark he’s still attempting to move the ball to advantage.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
A little harsh there Dave.

Can ruck support as well.

Plus he does push the call down to our advantage.

His biggest plus is with his extraordinary height with athleticism he is a constant threat and must be monitored by opposition. So he plays a role.

Cox rucks okay too. He is also pretty clever at getting the ball to our crumbers advantage by bringing it to ground or flicking it on. That's very important with our small and medium forwards. You add that to his contested marking and he is pretty handy to have in the side. Very important for the forward structure. Balances us up well.

Cox is okay in the Ruck but IF we want the 2nd best Ruck to ruck in the Game I say it be Moore

Cox is okay in the Ruck but IF we want the 2nd best Ruck to ruck in the Game I say it be Moore
What has Moore done in the ruck to make you think he’s a superior option to Cox?

What has Moore done in the ruck to make you think he’s a superior option to Cox?

Seen him be a Very Good Tap Work when he Been there. Moves lot better around the Ground then Cox.

Seen him be a Very Good Tap Work when he Been there. Moves lot better around the Ground then Cox.
I’ve seen nothing to suggest Moore’s tapwork is in any way superior to Cox’s.

I’ve seen nothing to suggest Moore’s tapwork is in any way superior to Cox’s.

Well been a Few Years since he been in the Ruck but I just remember being very impressed what he did in there.

I say Cox's tap work is average

Well been a Few Years since he been in the Ruck but I just remember being very impressed what he did in there.
He did very well for a young player with little experience. But that’s as far as it goes. He still lost the bulk of ruck contests he was in.
I say Cox's tap work is average
You’d be wrong.

Cox’s tap work around the ground is one of his greatest asset, he’s very strategic with where he places the ball. He doesn’t just lose that ability when he goes in the ruck. In those circumstances I just think he finds it a bit harder to execute consistently because his weakness is his body work.

He’s a good ruckman and much better than any other option on our list outside of Grundy. It’s not even a contest.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Cox’s tap work around the ground is one of his greatest asset, he’s very strategic with where he places the ball. He doesn’t just lose that ability when he goes in the ruck. In those circumstances I just think he finds it a bit harder to execute consistently because his weakness is his body work.

He’s a good ruckman and much better than any other option on our list outside of Grundy. It’s not even a contest.

The ability of Cox to get a hand to a contest when he's seemingly completely out of position in those rucking contests is second to none. If the worst he does is avoid the opposition getting a clear tap then he's done his job.

OniAu

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 4, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Cox is so badly maligned on these boards.

After putting up with a career of Travis Cloke who was the biggest one trick pony of them all who couldn't kick, Cox looks way more adaptable. I dont buy into the below things that keep getting constantly spewed out by people on these boards and even the media

- Has hit his peak of improving and isn't performing how he should be - this guy hasn't stopped improving and I believe will be better from last years final experience and gelling with the forward line. For a category B rookie , we have cashed in more than what it has cost us and he has performed as good as some forwards on 500k plus
- He is useless if he cant mark it - hardly true , does deft little taps , creates blocks , tackles - not completely out of the contest if he cant mark it
- Needs to kick more goals - what a joke , we had 4 players over 30 plus last year , the forward line was the best it has been in years and cox and mihocek played a huge part in it with their team play

OniAu

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 4, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood

Exactly !! I believe his basketball background is huge in him being really handy around stoppages, has great peripheral vision and anticipation

I’d be thrilled if he could add just another 15 goals to his tally from last year, i think its possible.
Especially if he waited until the GF to add them, that would be super.

Back