Player Watch Mason Cox

Finn Jim

Team Captain
Apr 2, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Cox seems to be a player who needs a big occasion or something else to really have a dip. he has performed at his best in really big games (finals, Anzac Day) but has been moderate in less pressured games. He notably lifted after his lousy pass this week, when he clearly felt he had something to prove or make up for. The shrink coach at Collingwood needs to be onto this.

This so many times over. Cox always has good games against Richmond, (He’s kicked 11 goals against the tigers, lifetime) and against Essendon on Anzac day.

It is interesting to me his production in terms of scoring is way up from last year. Through his first 4 games of 2018 he had 2 goals 2 behinds. Through the same in 2019 he has 5 goals 5 behinds. And yet we seek more from him constantly; it seems like he has improved a bit.

Cox seems to be a player who needs a big occasion or something else to really have a dip. he has performed at his best in really big games (finals, Anzac Day) but has been moderate in less pressured games. He notably lifted after his lousy pass this week, when he clearly felt he had something to prove or make up for. The shrink coach at Collingwood needs to be onto this.
Coach needs to point out that every other teams sees us as their Grand Final, they are all big games when you play for Collingwood.

Finn Jim

Team Captain
Apr 2, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Pretty ho-hum game, 2 goals, 6 marks, 5 hit-outs and one utterly regrettable handball, plus some taps to advantage and another fabulous shepparding bump.

All in all I’ll take it, Pies played well as a team tonight!

Edit: Forgot about the ball he touched on the line early in the game. That made me happy to see!

Last edited:

JG13

All Australian
Dec 31, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
SA Spurs. NUnited FC. NE Patriots.
Thought when the game was (somewhat) hot in the first and second quarters that the big man did a good job.

Game was way too skilled and smooth after half time for him to really have an impact, which is a compliment to the entire squad

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Doc1763

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Pretty ho-hum game, 2 goals, 6 marks, 5 hit-outs and one utterly regrettable handball, plus some taps to advantage and another fabulous shepparding bump.

All in all I’ll take it, Pies played well as a team tonight!

Edit: Forgot about the ball he touched on the line early in the game. That made me happy to see!
Me too. He is usually standing on the mark, so it was good to see him on line - saved us a goal.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
!

Technically wasn’t really a handball.

(More a Western Bulldogs “possession”)

Finn Jim

Team Captain
Apr 2, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Me too. He is usually standing on the mark, so it was good to see him on line - saved us a goal.

I’m torn on this. In some cases his presense on the mark has caused opposing kickers to either launch high and come up short or there was one player who tried to play on around him on the mark and wound up putting it out on the full. Goes to show he’s in their heads on the mark.

At the same time, there are not that many opportunities to touch on the line from set shots that I have seen. So I’m not sure which is better.

Loved the block/bump he put on for Treloar/Stephenson goal.

Second week in a row he’s done something like that!

I’m torn on this. In some cases his presense on the mark has caused opposing kickers to either launch high and come up short or there was one player who tried to play on around him on the mark and wound up putting it out on the full. Goes to show he’s in their heads on the mark.

At the same time, there are not that many opportunities to touch on the line from set shots that I have seen. So I’m not sure which is better.
On the mark. Any he saves on the line would have dropped a metre shorter if the bloke had to kick over him on the mark

Nice cheeky reply by Cox (see comments or thumbnail)

1555659059171.png

Shaneprice97

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 24, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood VFL
This so many times over. Cox always has good games against Richmond, (He’s kicked 11 goals against the tigers, lifetime) and against Essendon on Anzac day.

It is interesting to me his production in terms of scoring is way up from last year. Through his first 4 games of 2018 he had 2 goals 2 behinds. Through the same in 2019 he has 5 goals 5 behinds. And yet we seek more from him constantly; it seems like he has improved a bit.
50th game AND Anzac day, thats double the big game

Calling it now, 10 contested marks and 3 warm apple pies straight through the big sticks

Finn Jim

Team Captain
Apr 2, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Is Mason cursed to 2 goals per game this season? He shanked the chance for 3, albeit on a gift of a free kick. Did take some big time marks though, I was scared when he copped that cleat to the calf; any update on that or was it a nothing? I know he came back in after a bit.

Jul 12, 2004
Junktion Oval
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
England
Took a couple of crucial marks again, 2 goals is about what we expect of him, it’d be great to get more but on a day we apparently got a free ride, he was still bumped and held off the ball every time! That mark he took where he just burst out the front of the pack to just about take it uncontested was Coxy at his best

Finn Jim

Team Captain
Apr 2, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Took a couple of crucial marks again, 2 goals is about what we expect of him, it’d be great to get more but on a day we apparently got a free ride, he was still bumped and held off the ball every time! That mark he took where he just burst out the front of the pack to just about take it uncontested was Coxy at his best

Its funny when a high ball is kicked up to him and he settles under it he has to defend himself from bumps and whatnot, and he doesn’t compete well. But when he’s on the lead he can use his long arms to get the ball in front of the contest rather than above it; that seems to be where he shines.

Still think we are missing a trick by not using him deeper forward and having that deep bomb entry to him as an option, with others swarming.

Thought the last quarter of dogs game supported this.

Agree, He should be our FF instead of De Goey.

Cox is not a Long Kick of the Ball normally

Shaneprice97

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 24, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood VFL
Coming along okay i think, 9 goals in 6 games with 12 contested marks, and thats without a stand out game(Melbourne last year example).

If he keeps going at this rate over 25 games he could bag potentially 35-40 goals for the year to go with 50-60 contested marks. You look back at those numbers and consider it a solid year.

Back