Player Watch Mason Cox

Remove this Banner Ad

His set shots- particularly the ones about 30m out slight angle have been poor this season.
What used to regulation, is not so much anymore.

Need to sort this out asap because where he takes shots from should be converted.

Coming along okay i think, 9 goals in 6 games with 12 contested marks, and thats without a stand out game(Melbourne last year example).

If he keeps going at this rate over 25 games he could bag potentially 35-40 goals for the year to go with 50-60 contested marks. You look back at those numbers and consider it a solid year.

I'm really happy with his start to the year. He looks like he's taken a pretty big step up to become a reliable and consistent contributor. I'm looking forward to him having a few big days, I think it's just around the corner.

A goal a game from a forward pocket ruck is good value. He demands constant attention and means that De Goey is never double teamed. When in the ruck, he usually wins, and he is a good mark for the exit kick from the backline. I don't know what more is required.
He would now get a game in most other sides. Its a great credit to him.

Pretty good 1st up return game. Had a lot of "almost" moments but held his own in the ruck and clunked a game high 4 contested marks. Says his conditioning was good. Would expect improvement on that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty good 1st up return game. Had a lot of "almost" moments but held his own in the ruck and clunked a game high 4 contested marks. Says his conditioning was good. Would expect improvement on that.
For a guy of his limited upbringing with the game, to come back from an extended layoff and straight into the 1s, I thought he was fine. Some good signs for coming weeks for him to build on

I thought he basically played his role. His work when required in the ruck was serviceable, he kicked his standard 1.1 and created contests and presented good marking opportunities (4 contested marks taken). It was all that was really required of him tonight.

He's out of form, flat as a tack really, and still took four contested marks. He's extremely structurally important. He's a second Ruckman in an era when clubs play a maximum of one real ruck and has proved he can kick a bagt. He's too valuable not to play.

Good post except for your ridiculous first sentence. He was more than adequate after six weeks out.

He's not the type of player who can come back and play well straight away. He's a confidence player and needs a few touches to get going. That goal late in the 4th he got will be great for his confidence

Another interview from Mason and it seems that his Aussie Accent is growing by the minute. I've had quite a bit to do with Americans over the years and even the ones I've known here for 20 years still retain most of their accent, but Mason's is really in transition. I have a theory about accents and the people who change their accents easily are normally the ones that want to integrate into their new country the quickest. They want to fit in and be understood. ( This explains why the Scots sound the same 40 years after they get off the boat). I think the secret to Mason's success is that he hasn't just embraced the sport of AFL, he's embraced living here. Total immersion. I'll be interested to see if he sticks around after he retires. I think the only thing that will get him back to Texas is his family.

Another interview from Mason and it seems that his Aussie Accent is growing by the minute. I've had quite a bit to do with Americans over the years and even the ones I've known here for 20 years still retain most of their accent, but Mason's is really in transition. I have a theory about accents and the people who change their accents easily are normally the ones that want to integrate into their new country the quickest. They want to fit in and be understood. ( This explains why the Scots sound the same 40 years after they get off the boat). I think the secret to Mason's success is that he hasn't just embraced the sport of AFL, he's embraced living here. Total immersion. I'll be interested to see if he sticks around after he retires. I think the only thing that will get him back to Texas is his family.
Isn’t he applying for citizenship?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back