Player Watch Mason Cox

Remove this Banner Ad

Or Mihocek. Or Hoskin-Elliott.

I dont like Reids chances but I do like his attitude.
No doubting his attitude.
But his ground work isn’t a patch on Mihocek or WHE.
Either is Cox’s. But he attracts defenders like bees to a honey pot.
Which opens up more opportunities.

Personally I think sending Reid forward has done his career no good at all. If he was playing as a defender these past few years he'd probably still be getting a game and we wouldnt have needed to recruit Roughead.

It would have helped if he was playing these past few years

Absolutely. That said, hes been mostly fit in 2018 and 2019.
I think he's a shell of his former self. He was never bulky but he had an elastic strength that made him effective as a defender. To my admittedly inexpert eye thats gone, he barely competes physically and takes his marks and wins contests with his excellent hands and footy brain. He's still a very good kick too.

I'm not saying he squibs it, i mean exactly the opposite. I think his long term injuries mean he literally can't smash into packs anymore, and just by being out their he's taking punishment his body can't deal with. If he could compete body on body he'd be our best defender by a street. Now he's just a worrying medium forward who doesn't crash packs.

I think he's a shell of his former self. He was never bulky but he had an elastic strength that made him effective as a defender. To my admittedly inexpert eye thats gone, he barely competes physically and takes his marks and wins contests with his excellent hands and footy brain. He's still a very good kick too.

I'm not saying he squibs it, i mean exactly the opposite. I think his long term injuries mean he literally can't smash into packs anymore, and just by being out their he's taking punishment his body can't deal with. If he could compete body on body he'd be our best defender by a street. Now he's just a worrying medium forward who doesn't crash packs.

I think you're right. I think he made a noticeable attempt to be more physical in the VFL game... at least early on.

People consistently bringing up Reids move forward as if it was a mistake... like he is some godsend FB that would have solved all our KP problems.

Do you not remember his last few outings at CHB? He was poor. Our defence as a unit was borderline Dysfunctional also. Now i am not putting that dysfunctional all on Reid... but he was a key component of a barely competent defensive unit. The fact our defence had been rock solid without him surely counts against him in coaches eyes.

My last memories of Reid at CHB are one of a player whose body looked shot, he was a step behind his opponent consistently... he always went to ground in crucial contests. He Had lost his Intercept prowess, and his left footed 50m laser beams across the ground were non-existent.

He was completely done as a defender. Completely done. It was so frustrating watching him in his last time spent down there. There is not a chance on earth Reid would perform better then Roughead is now.

Personally I think sending Reid forward has done his career no good at all. If he was playing as a defender these past few years he'd probably still be getting a game and we wouldnt have needed to recruit Roughead.

Fit for selection or not, I don't think Reidy's been physically capable of playing a defensive role to the level Roughy has this year.

At his peak, he was undoubtedly a better defender than a forward, with his leap, lovely field kicking and reading of the play. He was brilliant. But his body just doesn't quite let him play the way he used to.

That's the reason he never gets a game in the backline over Roughead in 2019.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thought Cox was limping in the last quarter, and I was worried about his ankle. But now that I’ve seen his big toe (which can never be unseen), I think we have the explanation.

Can't believe the club doesn't have a chiropodist on the books, damaged big toe aside, his feet are a disgrace.

Forgotten how to mark it?
You’re implying he was a great mark to begin with. Has always been iffy from day 1. Runs under the ball and gets out positioned most times. When he doesn’t he drops sodas and the opposition sweeps up.

Only plays good against Richmond and no one else.

So many times he only puts one hand up for the mark. Does anyone know why? Arm being held? Wants to tap to a crumber?

The last 2 weeks he just seems to be getting in the way. Quite a few times around goal he got in the way of smalls and his just to slow when you need to twist and turn in congestion.

Also Sidebottom trying to handball over the top to a runner only for Cox to reach up and cut it off.

Not sure it's all his fault as there does seem to be a lack of talk amongst the players most the time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back