Player Watch Mason Cox

Remove this Banner Ad

PIEWITHSAUCE

Premiership Player
Sep 29, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Had me shaking my head when he elected to bump (and missed) in our goal square rather than tackle..............amateur stuff but , on the whole , he's going to be far more effective in a team with Stevo,Elliott and some decent midfield grunt. He didn't get much of a shot tonight.

Finn Jim

Team Captain
Apr 2, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
I thought early on in the game he was doing pretty well, some of his involvements down the wings looked crisp (by his standards) linking in handball chains. He should have taken more marks, and dropped some fairly easy ones. The scary thing is, he still had a 1/6 of our points on the night with his one goal. On the whole, the whole team was bad tonight, and the forward line strategy was torpedoed by Ben Reid's leg 5 minutes in. I can see the argument for dropping him but I don't see who replaces him, so for my money he stays in the 22.

So many times he only puts one hand up for the mark. Does anyone know why? Arm being held? Wants to tap to a crumber?

Arm held and/or chopped constantly, rarely paid. It’s almost as though the umpires think he has an unfair height advantage and therefore defenders have the freedom to do whatever they like in order to counter the advantage. The situation is never going to change, unfortunately.

Toecrusher

All Australian
Aug 31, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
The last 2 weeks he just seems to be getting in the way. Quite a few times around goal he got in the way of smalls and his just to slow when you need to twist and turn in congestion.

Also Sidebottom trying to handball over the top to a runner only for Cox to reach up and cut it off.

Not sure it's all his fault as there does seem to be a lack of talk amongst the players most the time.
Coxy came to footy as a mature player with no footy backgroud and is being asked to play a difficult role. No doubt in my mind, in those circumstances he should have returned through the VFL. Probably needed at least two games to get his touch.

Shaneprice97

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 24, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood VFL
Seems to have gone backwards this year and looks less likely to take a mark than ever
Backwards?

I’d argue this wouldn’t be said had he not performed well in last years prelim.

His contested marks per game are slightly down, however hes hitting the scoreboard alot more consistently than last season.

domus

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 31, 2008
Mooroolbark
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Mooroolbark footy club
I have always been a fan of Mason (and still am) but I thought last night was his worst performance I have seen and I include his shocker against Hawthorn last year. The conditions that night were terrible and marking was tough for everyone. At least Mason kept presenting on that night. My son and I watched him on a number of occasions last night when a teammate had the pill fifty metres up the ground and he was isolated with just his opponent and he repeatedly refused to wave his hands with urgency, lead up to the ball carrier or show any interest whatsoever in having the ball kicked in his direction. His body language was appalling as the game progressed (he wasn't alone in this department) and his two goals camouflaged a terribly disappointing effort. He was repeatedly pushed under the ball and went with one hand on countless occasions. Let's hope this was just one of those nights.

Watching cox the last few weeks closely, he actually runs under the ball a lot, it's not that he is being pushed under it. someone should teach him how to attack contests from behind and not in front, he is much better if he gets a run at it
You are right, he is misjudging the ball in flight, also going up one handed. It's a hand not a crane.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 24, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Still doesn’t footy IQ. Doesn’t work hard enough to get in the right spots, doesn’t work hard enough to impact a contest and bring it to ground.

He got out marked by Jy Simpkon last night. It’s a genuinely terrifying scenario our key forward stocks and while we’re competing it makes it even worse, it might end up being the difference.

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
You’re implying he was a great mark to begin with. Has always been iffy from day 1. Runs under the ball and gets out positioned most times. When he doesn’t he drops sodas and the opposition sweeps up.

Only plays good against Richmond and no one else.

When he's on and has high confidence his contested marking is a actually very good, he's had plenty of games where his contested marking tally was the highest on the field. He had a shocker on Saturday, looked flat and didn't really seem to have any hunger. It was probably contagious in the dressing room because TD showed more fight post game than the entire team did during the game.

ottoman

Norm Smith Medallist
May 13, 2014
Istanbul
AFL Club
Collingwood
Early in the first qtr Brown got a free kick for an arm chop that was equivalent to a mosquito landing on your arm.
I thought to myself if they are going to pay those then Mason is going to get plenty of frees.
Alas, the same rules don't seem to apply to Mason.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Early in the first qtr Brown got a free kick for an arm chop that was equivalent to a mosquito landing on your arm.
I thought to myself if they are going to pay those then Mason is going to get plenty of frees.
That my gripe.

Just because someone is near 7 foot does not mean holding the man does not apply to him.

It’s almost as if they want to even up his height advantage.

Hence defenders hold him with impunity, because mostly they get away with it.

Sadly yes that is the case but he has gotten into the bad habit of playing for frees too.

NonPhixion

Bookie Assassin
Mar 27, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Cleveland Browns, Tony Ferguson
Still doesn’t footy IQ. Doesn’t work hard enough to get in the right spots, doesn’t work hard enough to impact a contest and bring it to ground.

He got out marked by Jy Simpkon last night. It’s a genuinely terrifying scenario our key forward stocks and while we’re competing it makes it even worse, it might end up being the difference.

I tried telling my uncle this.
Cox doesn’t present enough, hardly ever makes a leading option. So most of the time guys just kick it on his head and he either misjudges the flight of the ball or gets manhandled too easily. He really needs some 1 on 1 tutoring from De Goey. He gets pushed around way too easily for a guy his size.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back