Player Watch Mason Cox

Remove this Banner Ad

I tried telling my uncle this.
Cox doesn’t present enough, hardly ever makes a leading option. So most of the time guys just kick it on his head and he either misjudges the flight of the ball or gets manhandled too easily. He really needs some 1 on 1 tutoring from De Goey. He gets pushed around way too easily for a guy his size.
I can recall him leading well against the Tigers last year. That was a pretty big game...

I can recall him leading well against the Tigers last year. That was a pretty big game...

Watching him live the last 3 games, I can tell you he is not leading up at the footy enough at all... he just needs to work harder, create more leads that even if he gets ignored creates space for other forwards to work in... this was the problem last night, our forwards were stationary and so then every high long kick down the line we would have multiple players go up and spoil each other and they would get an easy intercept and transition. Then everyone says that we aren’t locking the ball in our forward half, well that’s because the forwards are lacking chemistry right now...
just how I see it. Yes I realise there are other problems but to me this is the biggest of them along with our clearance work

That is debatable. I don't think he lead in as such as the kicks were put where the kicker wanted him to get to. In that second quarter Pendles and I think Adams put it out in front of Cox and Cox had no option but to run and jump out at the footy. Cox's go to lead is to put the hand up and point to the sky. Defenders are smart and nudge him legally under the footy. The big Fella needs to be smarter or our mids need to kick better to him out in front.

Had me shaking my head when he elected to bump (and missed) in our goal square rather than tackle..............amateur stuff but , on the whole , he's going to be far more effective in a team with Stevo,Elliott and some decent midfield grunt. He didn't get much of a shot tonight.

Thought he got absolutely mauled for much of the game. Think that probably says more about Thompson and Tarrant than it does about Cox. They're pretty handy when KPF's get less than perfect supply. I think losing Reid freed them both up as well so they could support Durdin or vise-versa.

Last edited:
Thought he got absolutely mauled for much of the game. Think that probably says more about Thompson and Tarrant than it does about Cox. They're pretty handy when KPF's get less than perfect supply. I think losing Reid freed them both up as well so they could support Durdin or vise-versa.

Given how much arm chopping went on I genuinely wonder if Razor addresses the players in the rooms before the match "Right lads were packing up the arm chop rule because were playing inside and because the ground is a bit hard were going to reward the player second to the ball all night. Feel free to hold him from behind all night especially Pendles because we don't want him to skin his knee if he falls over".

He's reverted back to a 'one-handed' attempts in a marking contest, which of course frustrate all of us. Needs to garner a little bit of confidence again, hard to under-state how detrimental that 6-7 weeks off probably was.

I think a lot of that 1-handed attack on the footy in marking contests is about 1. his balance (or lack thereof) when he's getting heavily checked, and 2. he can only put up 2 arms if they're both unimpeded.

That is the only team he does it vs, they're his bunnies did it too them in the VFL as well.

I argued over Cox earlier in the year just a broken record now. "Halving the contest" is the biggest wank stat in AFL and without the crumbers to capitalise off it then it can actually be a detriment as the opposition run off him with ease.

I dunno if it's just me but there's a bit of "boy cried wolf" about Coxy. Even as a supporter -and one that believes he cops a really raw deal - I sometimes struggle to pick when he's copped a fair dinkum shove and when he's just waiting for a tickle to take a jump and play for one. I reckon the umpires discount a lot of his frees because they know he's after them.

My advice for Coxy would be to learn to use his body , not to exaggerate pushes in the back etc.....and he might get better treatment.

Matt Loyd on access all areas saying - well pretty much what posters in this thread have been saying about Cox deficiencies and saying he should be sent back to devt coaches.

could be a great opp to recruit Loyd on a special mission to coach Cox, throw him the gauntlet after his public comments, he might take the challenge and it could work out v well.
Alternatively have Reid assigned to be his coaching mentor for rest of the year, since Reid has been marking and playing well until his injury.

I think the 3 tall forward line failed,
So will await to see if the 2 tall forward line helps Mason and Brody.

Not sure if we can draw that conclusion. Had the 3 talls for the entirety of the Doggies game - won, lost Reid early in this game so reduced to 2 talls - lost. Reid might struggle to get back now so it is probably a moot point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure if we can draw that conclusion. Had the 3 talls for the entirety of the Doggies game - won, lost Reid early in this game so reduced to 2 talls - lost. Reid might struggle to get back now so it is probably a moot point.

Personally I think the doggies should have won that game.

Backwards?

I’d argue this wouldn’t be said had he not performed well in last years prelim.

His contested marks per game are slightly down, however hes hitting the scoreboard alot more consistently than last season.
I just feel like he had four or five games in the back half of last year where he looked like he was getting the hang of it. Timing his leaps and getting some swagger.

This year he seems to be jumping one handed again and getting pushed off the ball too easy.

Cox is going to always be a frustration.
There will be games where he is acceptable.
There will be games where he is a liability.
And occasionally, very occasionally, he will influence a game to get us over the line.
This is what to expect from a player who didn’t grow up in Australia.
Credit to him, he has done well with that liability.
But don’t ever expect consistency.

Disappointing tonight. Sure he got his goal but he didn't really earn it. Couldn't mark to save his life. I think he needs some time in the VFL, get his confidence up. I don't think he is best 22 on this kind of form. The problem is there are 8-10 guys you could say that about right now on this team.

You can count on one hand the number of good games he has played in his career. Been in the system for a few years yet doesn't get any better.

Really need to find someone to replace him. Maybe Collingwood can find a tall volleyballer in Belarus.

Do not be surprised if he announces his retirement as early as this week. The AFL have him lined up for an ambassador role and he will be doing damage to his reputation and future employment prospects if he continues playing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back