Player Watch Mason Cox

Remove this Banner Ad

You can count on one hand the number of good games he has played in his career. Been in the system for a few years yet doesn't get any better.

Really need to find someone to replace him. Maybe Collingwood can find a tall volleyballer in Belarus.

He's played 50 games in his life, of course he'll get better.

He's played 50 games in his life, of course he'll get better.
He’s 28yo, been in the system for 4 years, still got brick hands, cant read the flight of the ball, and is actually getting softer and weaker. Can’t see it happening.

He’s 28yo, been in the system for 4 years, still got brick hands, cant read the flight of the ball, and is actually getting softer and weaker. Can’t see it happening.

Imagine if he was a 22 year old 211cm ruckmen in the system for 4 years with 50 games under his belt.

Of course he has a lot of football development left.

Imagine if he was a 22 year old 211cm ruckmen in the system for 4 years with 50 games under his belt.

Of course he has a lot of football development left.
Yeah but if he was 22 he would have potential another 10 years so if another 5 years to develop to be a top flight player it gives him 3-4 seasons to be able to produce that form. Cox is 33 in 5 years and will be done so he doesn’t have that luxury of taking time to develop

Yeah but if he was 22 he would have potential another 10 years so if another 5 years to develop to be a top flight player it gives him 3-4 seasons to be able to produce that form. Cox is 33 in 5 years and will be done so he doesn’t have that luxury of taking time to develop

Why will Cox be done at 33? Sandilands is 36 and Cox has no injury concerns and his body hasn't taken as much punishment as life-long players. He won't get any shorter when he gets older

Why will Cox be done at 33? Sandilands is 36 and Cox has no injury concerns and his body hasn't taken as much punishment as life-long players. He won't get any shorter when he gets older
Because the most of the players in the comp are done by 33. You bring up Sandi as an example because he is still going at 36 but he was 32 the last time he actually played more than half of the year.

Because the most of the players in the comp are done by 33. You bring up Sandi as an example because he is still going at 36 but he was 32 the last time he actually played more than half of the year.

Most players in the comp are not 210 cms tall. When you're that tall it doesn't really matter as much if you lose a bit of speed

Most players in the comp are not 210 cms tall. When you're that tall it doesn't really matter as much if you lose a bit of speed
Yeah and since he has turned 33 he has managed 27 games out of a possible 80. So not really a great example. If Sandi wasn’t a multi all Australian at a bottom 8 club he would of been gone

Does he actually love the game.. how can someone come in not knowing what a sherin is as a what 26 yr old.. and say.. 'hey.. I love this s**t'.

Don't think he loves the game enough to be excellent at it.. it's somewhat of a money making marketing novelty for him..

Does he actually love the game.. how can someone come in not knowing what a sherin is as a what 26 yr old.. and say.. 'hey.. I love this s**t'.

Don't think he loves the game enough to be excellent at it.. it's somewhat of a money making marketing novelty for him..

Constantly find myself screaming “mikanies etsi” at him through the tv .....but I thought that was what coaches were for

How much has his height even helped him...He regularly gets out marked by smaller men.

Any physical pressure and he goes to water. Constantly moved under the ball. When it hits the deck he is a liability with oppo teams spring boarding attacks off him.

He's is ages off it.

How much has his height even helped him...He regularly gets out marked by smaller men.

Any physical pressure and he goes to water. Constantly moved under the ball. When it hits the deck he is a liability with oppo teams spring boarding attacks off him.

He's is ages off it.

Shiels outpointed him last night! The bloke unfortunately just can’t grasp the nuances of the game which was always going to be the case given his background.

He needs the ball moving on his terms like it does at training. Since our ball movement has been stymied it’s all long bombs on his head that he has no chance with because he never sets his feet and has the worst hands in the league.

This is as good as it’s gonna get for him which was fine when he was contributing in the ruck, but 3.6 hit outs a game is hardly a contribution.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I suppose the fact that he has only played 4 years suggests his body is not banged up as other ruckman tend to be. Also, he spends most of his game time at FF. He probably has 5 years left in him and maybe more.

He seems to have a lot of trouble against the hawks. He was bad last year when we played them early in the season.

I suppose the fact that he has only played 4 years suggests his body is not banged up as other ruckman tend to be. Also, he spends most of his game time at FF. He probably has 5 years left in him and maybe more.
It’s not like he wasn’t playing college basketball before. Just because his late to pro AFL doesn’t mean that his body was as fresh as an 18 year olds

Fraud.
People were hanging Cloke to dry for these performances—-and Cox can’t even carry Cloke’s Bags.

He’s shithouse at ground level.
He can’t mark
He runs under the ball or is moved by smaller opponents.
He always goes up one handed.
Can’t kick greater than 35m.
When’s the last time he kicked a “bag”?

It’s not like he wasn’t playing college basketball before. Just because his late to pro AFL doesn’t mean that his body was as fresh as an 18 year olds
College Basketball hahaha..
If I read correctly, he played a total of 24 games over 3 years. C’mon mate you’re better than that.

I dunno if it's just me but there's a bit of "boy cried wolf" about Coxy. Even as a supporter -and one that believes he cops a really raw deal - I sometimes struggle to pick when he's copped a fair dinkum shove and when he's just waiting for a tickle to take a jump and play for one. I reckon the umpires discount a lot of his frees because they know he's after them.

My advice for Coxy would be to learn to use his body , not to exaggerate pushes in the back etc.....and he might get better treatment.
My advice is when the ball is kicked on his head, stop trying to get front position, where he is routinely worked under the ball. Play from behind where he can control the body work, stop the bloke from leaping and take advantage of his height. The new interpretation of hands in the back should be a boon for him. Reckon the coaches have been really slow on this. Drill him. Drill him. Drill him.

College Basketball hahaha..
If I read correctly, he played a total of 24 games over 3 years. C’mon mate you’re better than that.
The thing is just because he came to the game late doesn’t mean he will magically have no wear or tear on his body. More than likely he is done in 5 years as the majority of the players in the league are. People can bring up Sandi all the want but he hasn’t been relevant as a player since he was 32 and only still has a contract their as they are a s**t club and he is a former 4 time all Australian

My advice is when the ball is kicked on his head, stop trying to get front position, where he is routinely worked under the ball. Play from behind where he can control the body work, stop the bloke from leaping and take advantage of his height. The new interpretation of hands in the back should be a boon for him. Reckon the coaches have been really slow on this. Drill him. Drill him. Drill him.

Bit of damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. At the moment he seems to be mostly leading at the ball carrier and having to stop and prop due to the delivery. I think I'd prefer that than him fighting for position behind his opponent as that makes it too easy to keep him out of those contests he needs to move forward to.

Bit of damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. At the moment he seems to be mostly leading at the ball carrier and having to stop and prop due to the delivery. I think I'd prefer that than him fighting for position behind his opponent as that makes it too easy to keep him out of those contests he needs to move forward to.
He gets knocked off balance far too easily, and by much smaller opponents.

Fraud.
People were hanging Cloke to dry for these performances—-and Cox can’t even carry Cloke’s Bags.

He’s s**thouse at ground level.
He can’t mark
He runs under the ball or is moved by smaller opponents.
He always goes up one handed.
Can’t kick greater than 35m.
When’s the last time he kicked a “bag”?
I've been a supporter of Mason but he's been far too easy to defend the whole season and doesn't offer anything when he's cold. Need to start looking elsewhere because I don't think he's the answer anymore.

Agree with that. It's more that marking from behind his opponent, doesn't seem to be an option in his arsenal. At his height it should be one of his biggest strengths. And it gives him the advantage of being in control of the push and shove.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back