Player Watch Mason Cox

Remove this Banner Ad

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Anyone blaming our forwards for this mess are crazy, we had more marks inside 50 than the hawks despite only going inside 50 on 35 occasions. (36 against North).

And we even managed to burn a couple that should have been taken. Cox sliding and WHE running uncontested toward the pocket from memory. If only our set shot conversion was better.

Aug 29, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
And we even managed to burn a couple that should have been taken. Cox sliding and WHE running uncontested toward the pocket from memory. If only our set shot conversion was better.

Cox dropped 3 absolute sodas. One even pinged off his chest.

Thought we got Dawesy back for a while who marked with his eyes closed.

images

chris-dawes-of-the-magpies-marks-the-ball-during-the-round-two-afl-picture-id111406370

KIM_0497.JPG

chris-dawes-of-the-magpies-marks-infront-of-rory-thompson-of-the-suns-picture-id145633549
4fac84f5d26de57d1022b181d29f56d503e9232e
chris-dawes-of-the-demons-marks-infront-of-jack-frost-of-the-magpies-picture-id482608944

Last edited:

A few more I50’s tonight but yes we evidently put some more work into blocking for him and it paid off; for both Cox and Checkers.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Much much better.

And as the game goes on, he doesn’t get shorter.

Hard to stop when he gets good delivery (near goal especially).

If he can parcel up the chest marks, then he’s on his way to fully dependable.

Gotta love Cox when he’s allowed to jump with good delivery.

swoop42

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2014
The 18
AFL Club
Collingwood
A much better performance from him but I feel he still left 3 or 4 golden goal scoring opportunities out on the oval because of some simple missed marking opportunities.

Start taking those marks and he can elevate his and our game to the next level.

Finn Jim

Team Captain
Apr 2, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
His mark on the wing on the kickout from the Eagle’s last behind was critical. Got us to a stoppage at mid-wing. We win that stoppage and get it to half-forward. The ball never goes back into our 50 again.

Inconsistent for sure, dropped some chest marks...

...But one of those dropped chest marks still became a stoppage that turned into an instantaneous goal. He doesn’t have to mark it to make an impact.

Was it a Brownlow performance?
No.
Was it back to what we expect and need from him?
Yes.
Do we want more improvement? Always.

Apr 13, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Tottenham
His mark on the wing on the kickout from the Eagle’s last behind was critical. Got us to a stoppage at mid-wing. We win that stoppage and get it to half-forward. The ball never goes back into our 50 again.

Is it me or does this always happen in footy in the closing moments of a close game when the team in front needs it? You know a big contested mark is going to be taken in those situations no matter who the player is. I had no doubt he would grab that.

Just needs to soften his hands. Honestly think it's to do with the size of his hands, the ball slips out easier. He also marks it in odd positions due to his height, not really technique. If it's full stretch he is fine but the old traditional in front of your face position to mark the ball is awkward for him because of the length of his arms his elbows are at an odd angle.

LONG TANGENT WARNING. I have a bit of a theory about him and tall players throughout history. Players being key position players at over 200cm is relatively new and rare. The main exception in the past was Paul Salmon, maybe Spida Everitt who was handy forward. I remember Kurt Tippett (202cm) being remarked as a rare talent as a 200+cm guy who could lead and mark the ball. Now there's quite a few at around 200cm and even quite athletic defenders (see Moore and Roughead).

Every player around Cox's height were bad at marking despite their height and were gangly unco ruckmen (Spider Burton, Peter Street) Sandilands was never that great a threat when resting forward. I think just as ruckmen-height forwards were rare (when ruckmen themselves started being on average 200cm), we have a similar situation with Cox. I think he brings about him unique developmental problems we haven't seen much of. My theory is in the past very tall players struggled as forwards mainly because they were taught to kick poorly, they were told to copy a style that wasn't suitable for players with that much distance between their hand and foot and with bigger legs. I think there was similar issues with teaching them how to mark as well, although not as much as in the early days of dino ruckmen they were usually up against similar ruckmen. In the same way I don't think we're quite equipped to deal with Cox's circumstances when it comes to marking. Once they do figure that out I can see a lot of similar players in size to Mason Cox coming through.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Darkyprotector

Premiership Player
Apr 10, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
Very solid game tonight.
Kicked his 3 goals plus was structrually very important.
Nice to see him rebound after a few poor performances.
Not only that seemed to do a lot of ruck work against nic nat and held his own

Best. Forward ruck in the game, if not now will be soon
Like to see a knee out when pack marking and a bit of work on chest marking

We all tend to focus on what he can do , not quite what his role is

OniAu

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 4, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Needs to continue to play from the square.

If you are an opposition defender. You could care less defending him when he starts his lead from 40 out. Start it from the square and it’s a different story.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
A few more I50’s tonight but yes we evidently put some more work into blocking for him and it paid off; for both Cox and Checkers.

I thought it interesting that there was reportedly some angst about the blocking Cox received. As if every other forward line doesn't do exactly the same thing.

I thought it interesting that there was reportedly some angst about the blocking Cox received. As if every other forward line doesn't do exactly the same thing.
Blocking for Sheed is fine. For Cox it is not.

Oct 7, 2001
In the Pocket Rocket, lights ablaze!
AFL Club
Collingwood
I find it fascinating that he appears able to clunk in the back half, but drop soda’s forward.
I have noticed that on occasion he will take the ball at the highest point, which is unspoilable, then in an instant he pulls his hands down, making contact with the opponents hands causing the ball to spill.
Has to learn to keep the arms extended until the whistle.

Back