Analysis Mason Cox

Remove this Banner Ad

Presumably you want to replace Cox and Mayne with Lynch and a player, rather than Lynch and a rock... that player is going to cost you at least $80k and more likely $100k-plus (AFL average is $371k), so now you’re down to between $800k and what could be as low as $529k after securing a player on an “average” salary to chase Lynch with.

http://www.aflplayers.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/CBA_Infographic_2017.pdf
You could also take Lynch and a rookie on a base deal of 50k that frees up 850k

No one player is the sole reason the cap is tight I have never said that. Guys like Mayne, Cox, Greenwood, Blair, Wells all are on too much. Also guys like Oxley. It’s always more than one player. If we didn’t recruit or re-sign Cox we would of been free to explore other options. It’s way to black and white to say if we did not re-sign him the list would be the same except for him
I agree about Mayne, Greenwood (where is he?), Wells and maybe Blair, but I understand we were not alone in competing for Cox's services. Maybe we paid too much, but I would like to hear more about those options we could have explored. :think:o_O

Name one game Cloke played a full game and didn’t take a mark. Also to compare their contracts is ridiculous. Cloke was a premiership player dual all Australian BnF winner and multiple time leading goal kicker when he signed that deal. The fact his body failed him is sad. He earned that deal.

Cloke was atrocious for the majority of that contract. His body was fine so hardly an excuse either. Plus the fact he made a media circus about his contract, premiership player or not, he held the club and the clubs season to ransom for his own gain. Yet you would be the same person saying Mayne is disgraceful for the coin he is on.

Cox's first season was more serviceable than Clokes last season with the pies. Theres a reason why he didn't last at the dogs , it wasn't because of injuries. Game had passed him by

Cox's first season was more serviceable than Clokes last season with the pies. Theres a reason why he didn't last at the dogs , it wasn't because of injuries. Game had passed him by

Every other season Cloke had been better.

Part of the Treloar deal! I had no idea! So we gave up 2 number 7 draft picks and Witts for Treloar. Unfortunately I often make those kind of deals in real life and can't say I have profited from them. Witts as well as the picks you say?! Wow!
You say 'part of the deal'? Apart from the first round draft picks and Witts, did we toss in anything else? A 4th round pick perhaps? Seems like we dipped deeply into the honey pot to secure Treloar.
Poorly worded on my part.

As corrected by others if only Witts was part of the Treloar deal we’d have had another top draft puck to use.

I agree about Mayne, Greenwood (where is he?), Wells and maybe Blair, but I understand we were not alone in competing for Cox's services. Maybe we paid too much, but I would like to hear more about those options we could have explored. :think:o_O
Who cares if someone is offering more trade him. Plenty of other ways we could of gone. We showed a lot of faith in Cox from the outset we could of drafted another tall in 2014 but we didn’t deem it necessary due to Cox coming on board. We then opted to trade two first round picks for a midfielder as the club again thought we were well placed for talls. Over the 4 years he has been on board we could of taken the list in so many directions

So Saintly Viewed was misinformed? Just 2 x 7 = Treloar?
No Saintly Viewed worded it badly.

He’s a naughty boy he is.

My bad. Poor wording in my part has caused any miscommunication, the fault is mine.

Alas.

Cloke was atrocious for the majority of that contract. His body was fine so hardly an excuse either. Plus the fact he made a media circus about his contract, premiership player or not, he held the club and the clubs season to ransom for his own gain. Yet you would be the same person saying Mayne is disgraceful for the coin he is on.

No I wouldn’t say Mayne is a disgrace. Why would I hold it against him, I am critical of the club offering him that deal but he is more than entitled to take the money.

Clokes body was cooked he also had personal issues he was battling through. He earnt his contract through past performances the fact that he started to struggle is unfortunate. But to try and justify the money Cox is on because of what Cloke got is a joke.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Depends who you talk to, some say our cap is very tight. Surely that can not be the case

I can believe it's tight. Mayne and Wells... there's 900-1m right there for two blokes who will play no more than a combined 15 games for the club this year.

Then between 300- 500k each for senior players like Goldsack, Greenwood, Varcoe, Blair, Reid, Howe, Adams, Elliot, Fasolo, Sidebottom Treloar...

Then add decent 700k + wages of Pendles

With reportedly 20 players out of contract at years end including in demand young talents like Moore, Grundy and De Goey... they are going to have a tough time squeezing them in plus finding 1.2 mill for Lynch... unless they retire some blokes or take them down to minimum chips contracts.

Who cares if someone is offering more trade him. Plenty of other ways we could of gone. We showed a lot of faith in Cox from the outset we could of drafted another tall in 2014 but we didn’t deem it necessary due to Cox coming on board. We then opted to trade two first round picks for a midfielder as the club again thought we were well placed for talls. Over the 4 years he has been on board we could of taken the list in so many directions

No doubt that we stuffed up in not drafting a couple more talls, but I don't think that that was related to Cox. I think we grossly overrated the potential, flexibility or longevity of Frost, Brown, Witts, Marsh and Cloke.

It is 900k that could have been put towards getting Lynch. If you think paying 900k a year too those two blokes because they were free to recruit you are kidding yourself.

Right. So we should have just saved it over the last few season while we hope Lynch might decide to come to us..... Oh wait, we can't. We HAVE to spend 95% of our salary cap. Who's kidding themselves....

Rookies start at $75k in 2018 per the attached link.

Yep, that's $75k plus match payments. I did some crunching of the figures in Langdon's 2nd year and he likely earned more than $250k given the number of games he played, and that was standard rates specified in the old agreement. Without looking at the new agreement, I'd assume a draftee could now earn more than $300k in their 2nd year if they play about 20 games, and north of $200k in their 1st year. Naive to assume Cox on a presumed $400k is being paid a lot.

Firstly improved game from cox which is good to see.

However his hitouts went from round1 18 with 75% TOG to last games 4 hitouts from 80% game time.

Is their and obvious answer for the dip?

He spent far less time in the ruck.
Was Reid rucking? Grundy rucking more?

Was it because cox was playing well as a foward that you lads think bucks wanted to keep him in a settled position? But if he was struggerling he would ruck more?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back