Analysis Mason Cox

Remove this Banner Ad

Good as Len Thompson and Peter Moore?
If grundy comes out and averages even more disposals which i think he can, and cox comes out and has a few 35 goal seasons while topping the contested marking league wide you would think it has potential. Grundy could win a brownlow like peter moore.

Good as Len Thompson and Peter Moore?
In many ways Moore played forward all but exclusive until Thompson was done at Collingwood.

But for two such talents together as rucks, you are correct unbeatable combo.

Monkhurst and Manson didn't go too bad either!
I’d say not in the league of Grundy and Cox.

I’d even suggest Grundy is already superior to Monkhorst and Manson. Monkey being better than Manson.

But Grundy is nicely ahead already in my view.

I’d further suggest Cox at least ahead of Manson in ways, in ways.
And if he tucked only I’d venture he’d pass Monkhorst too.

Incidently I’d suggest Darcy would be a fantastic ruck actually.

We have a lovely stock.

It was widely discussed at the time we recruited Cox that he would only come if he was paid a minimum equivalent to what he'd earn if he took up his engineering position. Was suggested at the time to be around $130k. There has been some subsequent discussion around the extra bits which may also be included in the package such as a car. Every club had/has the same opportunity.

I don't like the use of the word loop-hole.

A loop-hole is where you find a small exception to a rule to almost get away with something.

What we did with Mason Cox was utilize the rules as put in place and designed to attract foreign talent to our game. It's not a loop-hole when you are doing exactly what the AFL want you to do!

In this instance, a number of clubs were into Cox, but we were able to attract him. It was a big risk though.

Cox comes out of contract in 2020, along with JDG, Grundy, Schaz, Aish, Maynard, Pendles and some lesser lights who will hopefully be brighter lights by 2020 (C and T Brown, and Murphy).

Frightening.

If Cox continues on his current trajectory, he will have clubs throwing big dollars at him. How on earth are we gonna manage this?

On Cox's current trajectory he could realistically demand 800k a year by 2020.

A loop-hole is where you find a small exception to a rule to almost get away with something.

What we did with Mason Cox was utilize the rules as put in place and designed to attract foreign talent to our game. It's not a loop-hole when you are doing exactly what the AFL want you to do!

In this instance, a number of clubs were into Cox, but we were able to attract him. It was a big risk though.

Just the Idiots in the Media want to make it yet another Negative Story about Collingwood:rolleyes:

No they're not - Eagles, Hawks, Tigers, Swans, Crows are some of the teams that could've done the same thing.
It worked out for us and they're talking about it because it was a success.
Take the compliment and move on.
They weren't trying to stop it, but they were clearly trying to imply its somehow unfair that we have him

Maybe along the lines of the movie...
In the new film Red Sparrow, Jennifer Lawrence portrays Dominika Egorova, a special type of spy known as a sparrow. In the movie, sparrows are shown to be a certain branch of the Russian Intelligence Service (SVR) that trains women to be "honey traps" who use their sexuality to seduce and compromise foreign assets, like say, a CIA agent.

As noted above. Even in this era of AFLW and the #metoo movement, I believe there is a potential opening for the Red Magpies to be formed. They could be ably assisted by the Pink Magpies (are they still around?) depending on player preferences.

Surely better than a High Sparrow program.

(Game Of Thrones)

I knew I shouldn’t have asked.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Even so, not all Americans are mercenaries and other factors would have played a role such as his upbringing, his friendships, his employment opportunities after football, was he settled in Melbourne? etc, etc.

To just say he will go to the highest bidder because he's a septic tank because that's their culture is a prejudiced statement. For mine whilst no-where near as offensive as other cases of isms, it's the same level of stupidity as any racist, sexist, homophobic comment and personally I found really annoying to read those absolutist statements last year and now.

Jesus christ man... Calm down.
All I'm saying is the culture he's used to treats contracts differently. I'm not saying he's a prick for it... I actually said I'd completely understand if he took the cash over loyalty.

Jesus christ man... Calm down.
All I'm saying is the culture he's used to treats contracts differently. I'm not saying he's a prick for it... I actually said I'd completely understand if he took the cash over loyalty.

Mate, it's all good. Someone put a well thought out opinion of why Cox would stay based on upbringing, education, lifestyle, etc and I'd add political outlook, he's no Trump supporter so less likely to make mercantile decisions.

You disagreed and your opinion was that Cox would chase money because he's American and that's what they do is based purely on prejudice; that he's an American.

Also, how can you say he owes us nothing? How do you actually quantify that compared to say, any other player who might leave for money?

Last edited:
I recommend the On The Mark interview. It's still got some hokey stuff that I'm sure he's tired of answering but he handles it very well. You get a bit more of an insight into his life. The man seriously loves to travel.

Do you know where I can find this? Would love to watch it!

This is so short-sighted and prejudiced. And just wrong anyway. This was the rhetoric of a few on here last year but he signed on for less at Collingwood.

Agree, as someone who has spent a lot of time in the states over the last 5 years I think we are too quick to judge off what we might see in the media and in the NFL in particular

Richards and Bryan an all time GOAT pairing too.
That’s unfair.

They’re so incredibly good, it’s not fair to bring them up. Kills the contest.

Absolutely this. Caro gets her journo hat on and searches for an angle that just isn't there. We haven't always won with the gamble on international players either. We've put a lot of resources into Irish players over the journey with minimal return.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back