Analysis Mason Cox

Remove this Banner Ad

Absolutely this. Caro gets her journo hat on and searches for an angle that just isn't there. We haven't always won with the gamble on international players either. We've put a lot of resources into Irish players over the journey with minimal return.

She made a fairly fundamental error on 3AW with Tim Lane on Saturday. She was expressing incredulity that Tyrone Vickery’s absence from the list in 2019 would free up much cap space because Hawthorn couldn’t have paid him much this year.

But as we know with restricted free agents it is the contract not the payment (if reduced) which goes to the cap. Bad Caro.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Absolutely this. Caro gets her journo hat on and searches for an angle that just isn't there. We haven't always won with the gamble on international players either. We've put a lot of resources into Irish players over the journey with minimal return.

To be fair to Caro, it was Hutchison who used the word ‘loophole’ in that vision.

I know it’s not cool to say so, but I reckon Caro is one of the more reasonable footy pundits.

Were do we stand with the Irish players. Do we check them out over there, I don’t recall one being mentioned form many years.

Loophole?
The AFL created an opportunity for an American to be listed by any club.
ANY CLUB.
in fact I’m not sure that the opportunity was limited to just one player. Several could have been listed by several clubs.
And as it panned out, Cox had a choice of several suitors.
There was no loophole as CFC had to pay for the opportunity to put an untried person on the list, albeit outside the senior list. Then they had to make the decision to put him on the senior list and deny an Australian that opportunity.
Hardly a loophole. More like a massive risk and a cost to the bottom line.

Were do we stand with the Irish players. Do we check them out over there, I don’t recall one being mentioned form many years.

I think we used to have a scout for the Irish players. Then we cut down on the footy department when the tax came in. We shrunk our scout network from the largest in the league to a smaller group. We seem to have stopped recruiting Irish players now. And maybe the investment and effort didn't stack up.

Loophole?
The AFL created an opportunity for an American to be listed by any club.
ANY CLUB.
in fact I’m not sure that the opportunity was limited to just one player. Several could have been listed by several clubs.
And as it panned out, Cox had a choice of several suitors.
There was no loophole as CFC had to pay for the opportunity to put an untried person on the list, albeit outside the senior list. Then they had to make the decision to put him on the senior list and deny an Australian that opportunity.
Hardly a loophole. More like a massive risk and a cost to the bottom line.
The context in which they’ve used the word doesn’t even make sense.

“Collingwood found a loophole for Mason Cox. But it's been a loophole that paid off because of the player that Mason has become!“

They would have you believe that a “loophole” is synonymous with a “lottery ticket” for which the strategy is obvious, and the payoff is highly unlikely, but extremely generous if realised.

A loophole is something entirely different; a nuanced exception to a rule which provides a largely risk-free advantage.

Idiots!

The context in which they’ve used the word doesn’t even make sense.

“Collingwood found a loophole for Mason Cox. But it's been a loophole that paid off because of the player that Mason has become!“

They would have you believe that a “loophole” is synonymous with a “lottery ticket” for which the strategy is obvious, and the payoff is highly unlikely, but extremely generous if realised.

A loophole is something entirely different; a nuanced exception to a rule which provides a largely risk-free advantage.

Idiots!
“Lottery” better describes the recruiting of Cox.

She made a fairly fundamental error on 3AW with Tim Lane on Saturday. She was expressing incredulity that Tyrone Vickery’s absence from the list in 2019 would free up much cap space because Hawthorn couldn’t have paid him much this year.

But as we know with restricted free agents it is the contract not the payment (if reduced) which goes to the cap. Bad Caro.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
She is just a dreadful person.
Never seems happy.

A smile costs nothing.

One of the reasons that media is held in such low regard.

To be fair to Caro, it was Hutchison who used the word ‘loophole’ in that vision.

I know it’s not cool to say so, but I reckon Caro is one of the more reasonable footy pundits.
With Robbo Slobbo, purple Barrett, piggy hutchy, Patrick Sour Smith, mark Stevens et al
It’s not exactly a high standard we’re aiming at.

But don’t worry, she sits comfortably with them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Disagree.
He's grown up with the American culture of go where the money is.... I certainly wouldn't blame him.
He owes us nothing.
I wouldn't have begrudged him for taking the money regardless of his culture.

He's literally the glue for the forward line based on that performance. Our get out kick of putting it on his head is just SO effective. He could have had a zero mark, zero possession game out there today, and as long as he prevents his opposition taking marks - as he has all year - we go a long way to winning.

We won't be winning many games without big Coxy.

Missed him big time.

Watch out North

Remove this Banner Ad

Back