Analysis Mason Cox

Remove this Banner Ad

The first page of this thread is absolutely indicative to BF form.
It should be gilded and pinned to the wall in the BF Magpies Pool Room.

For those who think I'm being a bit high and mighty...I gave myself an upper cut for jumping to uneducated conclusions in the Chris Mayne thread.

You should all anoint Cox's feet asap.:D

The first page of this thread is absolutely indicative to BF form.
It should be gilded and pinned to the wall in the BF Magpies Pool Room.

For those who think I'm being a bit high and mighty...I gave myself an upper cut for jumping to uneducated conclusions in the Chris Mayne thread.

You should all anoint Cox's feet asap.:D
lol true....I couldn't help myself, had to go and like a few of the page 1 posts...haha

Good back-up ruckman. Break glass in case of emergency.

Useless around the ground as he can’t impact the contest, and no good as a forward because he can’t mark with a body alongside him and he’s too slow to keep the ball in our forward line.

Seems like a decent bloke but is an albatross around our neck as a forward.
I just got a “like” for this post. LOL.

He has improved immensely, and obviously I’m not a terribly good judge.

Don’t think anyone is saying Cox hasn’t improved, exceeding most people’s, me included, expectations.
But it appears we have put last weeks loss down to his absence.
What happens if we get done this week with him in the team?

More because of our Loss of Structure with him out then just himeself

More because of our Loss of Structure with him out then just himeself
As you pointed out elsewhere Dave, our in 50 thrusts basically ignored the free man and gave McGovern the confidence to play the spare.
But the boards are alive with the myth that had Cox played we would have won.
No proof of course and that’s why I’m very interested in the response this week if we get rolled by Norf.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My first reaction to Cox's performance was that he needs to be dropped. He can't mark when there's body contact, and besides relief ruck, he does little else. But i'm also sure he had a really bad game and that happens sometimes. I'm not sure i'd have the guts to do it but it'll be interesting if Buckley keeps the faith. Cox won't learn how to hold marks in the VFL because of his size advantage and the quality of players he's up against there. There's not much to be gained for his development by dropping him. But the team would be better for it. I reckon Mihocek comes in and Moore goes back forward.

I'm glad we didn't drop him!

As you pointed out elsewhere Dave, our in 50 thrusts basically ignored the free man and gave McGovern the confidence to play the spare.
But the boards are alive with the myth that had Cox played we would have won.
No proof of course and that’s why I’m very interested in the response this week if we get rolled by Norf.

Hopefully we come out on Fire after Eagles Flogging us in the 2nd Half of Last Weeks Game

Don’t think anyone is saying Cox hasn’t improved, exceeding most people’s, me included, expectations.
But it appears we have put last weeks loss down to his absence.
What happens if we get done this week with him in the team?
Anyone who watched the game would have seen that WCE wanted it more which meant they had more numbers around the ball and we didn't.

Cox straightens us up but the whole team needs to put in. He is still a great person though.

I reckon Gone Critical was the one that held the faith and recognised the contested marking strength at VFL level. I'm glad that's translating to AFL now.

There were a few of us who had faith his VFL form could translate to AFL.

It's so good to see the turnaround from wails of dismay at his recruitment as a move of unparallelled foolishness to complaints that Collingwood were cheating the system in getting him so cheaply. May the complaints get louder.
I said early on that his marking at the start looked a lot like Sav Rocca's did when he started. It took time for Sav to learn how to position himself, but it came. And so it has with Cox. His ground play too is coming on remarkably - it seems that he is one of those players with great peripheral vision. And then there are those ruck like taps from the marking contests where he sets Stephenson in particular on his way. He is starting to look like an exceptional player, not just a tall one. I particularly like the way he is placed as a forward. He does not play full forward or Centre half forward exactly, but is mobile enough to play a composite sort of role. Happy days.

There were a few of us who had faith his VFL form could translate to AFL.
Correct, I thought so after the JLT game against GWS. Really needed for structure now even if he doesn't take marks or kicks too many like today.

I just got a “like” for this post. LOL.

He has improved immensely, and obviously I’m not a terribly good judge.
The game he played against the Hawks was the worst game of AFL I've ever seen anyone play. (one day when Oxley completely lost confidence, I think it was against the dogs, comes close) but Jeez you went hard. Rereading the opening to this thread, after this initial swipe, you followed up with 3 more. Good commitment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back