Player Watch Mason Cox

Remove this Banner Ad

I've loved the guy from day 1.
Every week I've watched him with the hope that the change is about to come.
It is with a very heavy heart that I have to admit that he will only ever be depth.

Having said that he doesn't deserve some of the hate he gets. He has achieved a lot.
He’s a good bloke no doubt, however he’s affecting our chances of achieving success

I come in peace, if you don’t want opposition posters I will gladly * off.

90% TOG today for a return of two handballs and four hitouts. I don’t understand his continued selection and I genuinely would like insight on it. He’s not a forward and he’s not a ruckman - he’s just a tall person.

What are your KPF stocks behind him - is there a kid that is expected to take over when he develops? Is there not a VFL player in the supplementary draft worth a punt? Even a speculative teenager from late in the national draft?

How does he get games with relative consistency?

I think its time to pull the pin, but who give Grundy a chop out? I dont think Cameron is any better.
Cameron probably isn't any better at this stage, but has more potential and is younger. I'd be getting games into him as I believe he'll at least offer the same as Cox, and might still be something.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I come in peace, if you don’t want opposition posters I will gladly fu** off.

90% TOG today for a return of two handballs and four hitouts. I don’t understand his continued selection and I genuinely would like insight on it. He’s not a forward and he’s not a ruckman - he’s just a tall person.

What are your KPF stocks behind him - is there a kid that is expected to take over when he develops? Is there not a VFL player in the supplementary draft worth a punt? Even a speculative teenager from late in the national draft?

How does he get games with relative consistency?
Actually his ruck work is quite good.
The thing is at Collingwood we don't believe that there is a need for KPF.
We don't recruit them.
They are pointless.
It's all about structure. Oh and stats. We love stats.
We don't really care about reality that much. It's all about stats and structure.
For example Wills apparently had 16 disposals and 4 tackles last week. (stats may not be correct)
It doesn't matter that he achieved sweet FA with those disposals and tackles. We don't take that into consideration. That part is irrelevant.
He had 16 disposals and 4 tackles! That is all we consider.

Like with Cloke we’ve became too predictable with Cox as our sole tall target. Sides know that if they shutdown our other options are only get out is Cox. They then drop a heap around Cox and instead of getting loose our smaller players are sucked into the contest. 2018 worked as our smalls separated from Cox and we hit these options in a one on one. Thomas and Hoskin-Elliott being unable to recapture career best form hasn’t helped.

I’d like to see us try Cameron or Kelly alongside Cox. I would have suggested Moore, but he’s even more valuable down back with the injury to Howe.

Last edited:
I’m sorry to say this

Mason Cox has been found out and he’s hit the roof with his potential. He’s currently 29 which aren’t young.
He‘s best form was 2018 and yet Cox only averaged 1 goal per game
He’s aggression towards the ball is pathetic
He can’t take a mark to save his life. Grundy is 204cm and he clunks them 60% of the time.
Cox has taken an opportunity from a young lad to achieve his dream of becoming an AFL player to become the first American to play footy which people will remember him for his one trick pony game

Solution?
1. Pump games into Will Kelly or Cameron. This years flag is tainted anyways
2. Get a full forward such as Mitch Lewis or Nick Larkey
3. Go for a smallish forward line or bring in Ben Reid who will at least make a contest

Whats your opinion about Mason Cox
Is this a petition, where do I sign

Actually his ruck work is quite good.
The thing is at Collingwood we don't believe that there is a need for KPF.
We don't recruit them.
They are pointless.
It's all about structure. Oh and stats. We love stats.
We don't really care about reality that much. It's all about stats and structure.
For example Wills apparently had 16 disposals and 4 tackles last week. (stats may not be correct)
It doesn't matter that he achieved sweet FA with those disposals and tackles. We don't take that into consideration. That part is irrelevant.
He had 16 disposals and 4 tackles! That is all we consider.

Occasionally we draft forwards and play them as defenders. Then draft defenders and try to turn them into forwards without much success.

Last edited:
The league found him out long ago, put a little bit of physical pressure on him in the air and he turns to water.

Never had a high ceiling and truth be told he's exceeded all my expectations. But he's reached his zenith and it's not going to get a hell of a lot better than this. Give Kelly a go or embrace the small ball forwardline with Elliott or DeGoey as the deep forward.

Fare thee well, ogre.

Slow ball movement with 10 handballs within a 10m area and a wet night, not exactly key forward conditions. He is a very slow starter coming back from a break. Takes a good 5wks to get going.

Cameron was pretty ordinary the last game he played, there’s not a lot of difference between him or Cox.

Like with Cloke we’ve became too predictable with Cox as our sole tall target. Sides know that if they shutdown our other options are only get out is Cox. They then drop a heap around Cox and instead of getting loose our smaller players are sucked into the contest. 2018 worked as our smalls separated from Cox and we hit these options in a one on one. Thomas and Hoskin-Elliott being unable to recapture career best form hasn’t helped.

I’d like to see us try Cameron or Kelly alongside Cox. I would have suggested Moore, but he’s even more valuable down back with the injury to Howe.

Lol at thinking Buckley would have a plan B!

To utilise Cox he needs space and some sensible delivery, instead they let the forward line get crowded then kick it over his head to the 3 defenders.

When they kick in front of him he looks good or give him some space to jump

Slow ball movement with 10 handballs within a 10m area and a wet night, not exactly key forward conditions. He is a very slow starter coming back from a break. Takes a good 5wks to get going.

Cameron was pretty ordinary the last game he played, there’s not a lot of difference between him or Cox.
He has 1 goal from his last two games, which came after his opponent had gone off injured. He makes our forward line predictable and slow, and has played in 0 wins and 2 losses since coming back into the side.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back